1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I don't care what you say, people still use DVD players.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Unfortunately I couldn't find a region-free hack for this player (you need this to play foreign DVDs)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3664 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

It's cheap, it's small and will be great in the kids room since you dont need to worry about breaking this thing.

robio

quality posts: 42 Private Messages robio

I may have to grab me one of these. I've always had better luck with these else cheapo DVD players than with higher end models. red one I have now, from a previous wooting, is fancier but head several shortcomings like the time display press (countdown vs count up, chapter vs title) are buried in a deep menu, and it doesn't have its own volume controls.

but if you can't region-zero it, maybe not.

hmmmm...

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

Won't play Dvix but they list Kodak picture disk?

how weird. who has a pile of those laying around.

there is no usb in for your thumb drive.

seems to me at 15.00 and shipping this is still a stretch.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TheTexasTwister

Boy these things have gotten so small and cheap. I can remember when I bought my first DVD player. It was a few weeks after the 9/11 attack and I was still shaken up. I needed a way to distract myself so I found a DVD player that was being discontinued and was on sale at a local Circuit City. I can't remember who the manufacturer was, but it was one of the big name brands. Possibly Pioneer or JVC.

I finally got it for about $130 (even cheaper than the advertised price of $150) because the entire stock had sold out and all that was left was the floor model. It was behemoth of a device taking up almost as much room as the receiver/amplifier. The tray was in the middle and looked tiny compared to the box.

I used that monster for several years before replacing it with an XBox 360 (then later a Blu-Ray player) both of which I bought from Woot.

I eventually sold that old DVD player to a co-worker a few years ago so I could buy that XBox 360.

Man how time flies, items change and prices drop.

JMuskovitz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages JMuskovitz

Not even HDMI? What's the point?

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
JMuskovitz wrote:Not even HDMI? What's the point?

These are standard 480p without any upconverting. So no need for an HDMI output.

bluerthnu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluerthnu

Please don't laugh at my lack of tech knowledge, but....

My desktop PC disc drive is broken and all I ever used it for was watching DVDs.

Could this be hooked up to a computer for that purpose?

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard
bluerthnu wrote:Please don't laugh at my lack of tech knowledge, but....

My desktop PC disc drive is broken and all I ever used it for was watching DVDs.

Some computers have video connections for recording, and if not, you can sometimes get them for $15-25. Yes, $20 to connect a $20 player. And it will be a bit clunky to actually use it.

If you are dealing with an older monitor, it probably has a VGA connector, squarish with 15 pins, usually blue. You can get an adapter between Svideo (the round connector with 4 pins that this has) or component video (the three orange, blue, and green plugs) and VGA, and connect this instead of the computer. But again, that will probably cost $10 or more with shipping.

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519

I'm pretty sure that if you told me in 2000 or 2001 that DVD players would eventually sell for $15.99, I wouldn't have believed you.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
TheTexasTwister wrote:Boy these things have gotten so small and cheap. I can remember when I bought my first DVD player. It was a few weeks after the 9/11 attack and I was still shaken up. I needed a way to distract myself so I found a DVD player that was being discontinued and was on sale at a local Circuit City. I can't remember who the manufacturer was, but it was one of the big name brands. Possibly Pioneer or JVC.

I finally got it for about $130 (even cheaper than the advertised price of $150) because the entire stock had sold out and all that was left was the floor model. It was behemoth of a device taking up almost as much room as the receiver/amplifier. The tray was in the middle and looked tiny compared to the box.

I used that monster for several years before replacing it with an XBox 360 (then later a Blu-Ray player) both of which I bought from Woot.

I eventually sold that old DVD player to a co-worker a few years ago so I could buy that XBox 360.

Man how time flies, items change and prices drop.

My first one (80s) was close to $400.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

sugarpearls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sugarpearls
Lord John Whorfin wrote:Unfortunately I couldn't find a region-free hack for this player (you need this to play foreign DVDs)

Sigh . . . that's a shame. Thanks for saving me quite a bit of time, though.

RandyMillerIII

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RandyMillerIII
ReginaFilangee wrote:My first one (80s) was close to $400.

90s? Or are you talking about a CD player?

qdoggy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qdoggy

For about this same price you can replace the drive in your computer. It is not as hard as it seems. Open the case remove a couple of wires and screws and put in the new drive with the original wires and screws. You just need to know if you have a SATA drive or IDE.

Pazuzu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Pazuzu
djp519 wrote:I'm pretty sure that if you told me in 2000 or 2001 that DVD players would eventually sell for $15.99, I wouldn't have believed you.

Think about this...

This player at $15 costs LESS than some of the DVD discs that you'll put in it!!! I'm sure that my earliest DVDs cost more than that when I got them.

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr
RandyMillerIII wrote:90s? Or are you talking about a CD player?

That's what I'm thinking. I remember sitting in 8th science reading a magazine article about how great Men in Black would look on this new DVD tech!

tkrueger15

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tkrueger15

what a great deal! will work perfect for my bedroom!

Hovencloof

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hovencloof

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. It works fine and does a good job. For some reason, I couldn't get the S-Video connector to work. It plugs into both my TV and the DVD, but it did not work, so to use this I used the red, white yellow cables. The picture is fine, the remote is a bit clunky.

I have owned five DVD players or DVD/VHS players so far and the cheap ones seem to last longer than the expensive ones. None has been as reliable as the VHS players I have owned.Two years is the longest a DVD player has lasted me.

I am very careful with the player and the disks and I have no kids.

zlink8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zlink8

You would be better off buying a new dvd drive from an online retailer. They are very easy to install, all you need to do is look up if your computer has an IDE cable (Big ribbon) or a SATA cable (Smaller) and buy the correct type. They are in the 15-20 dollar range on most online retailers. If you have a laptop it will be more of a pain but still possible. Doing a simple change like a DVD drive is very easy if you just take a look at a how-to video on the web really fast. Don't be afraid to do something like that to fix up your broken dvd drive!

broxcandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broxcandy

what would bee the best way to use a monitor with this DVD player? I have looked at several converters but none seem to be good options..

Any Ideas?

erinnstreeter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages erinnstreeter

I wasted money on this in the last woot off - mine arrived broken and I was told by woot that I couldn't return it, I had to deal with the manufacturer directly. Buyer beware.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
erinnstreeter wrote:I wasted money on this in the last woot off - mine arrived broken and I was told by woot that I couldn't return it, I had to deal with the manufacturer directly. Buyer beware.

What happened with the manufacturer? If you're still having problems, let support@woot.com know. We do want you to have a working item if possible!

I'm just hanging out, really.

jjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjeff
Hovencloof wrote:I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. It works fine and does a good job. For some reason, I couldn't get the S-Video connector to work. It plugs into both my TV and the DVD, but it did not work, so to use this I used the red, white yellow cables. The picture is fine, the remote is a bit clunky.

Cheaper DVD players like this one often times have a option in the setup to enable either S-video or component, my guess is yours may be enabled for component.....
BTW didn't the brand Proscan used to be a rather good brand? I can remember Proscan monitors years ago and they were rather top shelf and cost accordingly. Of course they could just sold their name like many of the big brands of yesteryear: RCA, Sylvania, Zenith, Magnavox, etc. etc.
Oh if you own one I have a question, can you display REMAINING time(chapter and title) on this player? Now days many players are omitting my favorite REMAINING time feature

jjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjeff

I thought so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProScan
Thomson must have sold their name to Funai like basically every Thomson product

jimtpat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimtpat

Dayum, MWPollard, you went bananas for those Screaming Monkeys with Woot Capes! Your boss must be nicer than mine.

MWPollard wrote:Some computers have video connections for recording, and if not, you can sometimes get them for $15-25. Yes, $20 to connect a $20 player. And it will be a bit clunky to actually use it.

If you are dealing with an older monitor, it probably has a VGA connector, squarish with 15 pins, usually blue. You can get an adapter between Svideo (the round connector with 4 pins that this has) or component video (the three orange, blue, and green plugs) and VGA, and connect this instead of the computer. But again, that will probably cost $10 or more with shipping.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

USB 2.0 Slim External DVD ROM CD-RW Combo Drive Writer
$19.46
http://www.amazon.com/External-CD-RW-Combo-Drive-Writer/dp/B002782LTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359771662&sr=8-2&keywords=cd%2Fdvd+usb+drive

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

matlebert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matlebert

I just bought 2 and Woot charged me sales tax 3 extra bucks Waddams Threatens Fire

lbstur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lbstur

I bought one of these from Woot just after Christmas for a couple of bucks more.

There is a region change hack, but since the remote doesn't have a Zero key you can't make it truly region free unless you find another remote that it recognizes.

Open the disc tray.
With the remote,
Enter 9, 9, 9, 9, (nothing appears on the screen)
Enter the region you want (appears at the top in a blue line).
Close the disc tray.

Change it back to play Region 1 DVD's again.

Also, although it's not stated on the box or in the manual, this player DOES play true SVCD discs and DOES play /most/ Divx/Xvid/Avi discs. It gags on some non-standard resolutions, but played 95% of the files I threw at it. It supports separate .srt subtitle files, and will play raw MPEG-2 files as well.

It defaults to the composite video output, so you have to connect a TV using composite before you can get into the menu and change it to S-Video or Component output. Then of course you have to change cables because the composite output is no longer active.

I'm happy with mine, thinking about getting a second for the bedroom.

midori4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midori4
robio wrote:I may have to grab me one of these. I've always had better luck with these else cheapo DVD players than with higher end models.

I agree. My no name crap DVD play I bought in May 2004 lasted for years, still works if you don't play it too much. haha

The philips one I have works, but it's noisy as hell at time.

br0seidon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages br0seidon
JMuskovitz wrote:Not even HDMI? What's the point?

Probably because there are no DVDs in HD.

giveitalll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giveitalll

No HDMI - No deal.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
RandyMillerIII wrote:90s? Or are you talking about a CD player?

Early 80s, not 90s. But oops....I meant to say that it was a VCR, not even a DVD player.
Bought it from QVC. It was one of the "newer" stereo ones, but other than that, just a plain VHS tape recorder/player. Yep, $400.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

sparky672

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparky672

I received mine only a couple of days after ordering so kudos to Woot for that.

However, mine has an annoying problem... it refuses to stay shut off (or in standby mode). After a few minutes, it just turns on all by itself! If I happen to leave a DVD inside, it just fires right up and starts playing. It happened randomly about six times in the last two hours.

The unit came with a warranty card and there is an 800 number printed on the card. However, the woman from India told me that Proscan does not support this model. She said that I would need to take this up "with the store where I purchased it".

I argued with her... how can you shove a warranty card into your box that contains a phone number to a place that does not support the product? What the hell is the sense in that?

Next stop... Woot customer support.

EDIT:

Woot got back to me today, a Sunday, and kept me satisfied! Thank-you Woot!

sparky672

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparky672
erinnstreeter wrote:I wasted money on this in the last woot off - mine arrived broken and I was told by woot that I couldn't return it, I had to deal with the manufacturer directly. Buyer beware.

What happened with your situation?

Mine is flaky and the woman at the 800 for Proscan said they do not provide any warranty support whatsoever for this model, despite a 90-day warranty card in the box which contained that model number and phone number.

After emailing Woot support, they took care of me.