0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Stucky101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stucky101

Alright, it's been a while since I've been shopping for a gaming PC and all the numbers I'm used to seeing in specs have pretty much increased by a factor of 10 (gotta love the Moore's Law). So that said, is this a good gaming PC for the price? How long before its made obsolete by newer and prettier games? To the best I can tell all it's components look solid except it's graphics card, which could always just be swapped out for something better.

joshthegeek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joshthegeek

Not a bad, low power processor for a HTPC.

Here's an overview of the AMD processor:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/47257-amd-a10-5700/

The real interesting stuff starts on page 3:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/47257-amd-a10-5700/?page=3

joshthegeek

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joshthegeek
Stucky101 wrote:So that said, is this a good gaming PC for the price? How long before its made obsolete by newer and prettier games?

Not a very good computer for gaming. Check out the performance graphs:

djskyler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djskyler

HP Product Specifications Page (which lays out some upgrade options)
HP Pavilion p7-1467c Desktop PC

hairball98

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hairball98
joshthegeek wrote:Not a bad, low power processor for a HTPC.

It's sad that AMD hasn't really been a contender in the gaming space for some time, at least as far as processors are concerned. The 7660HD is not the weakest part of this system, the processor is--and you can't swap AMD for Intel w/o swapping the motherboard...and you were buying a new computer why?

skakebite

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skakebite
Stucky101 wrote:Alright, it's been a while since I've been shopping for a gaming PC and all the numbers I'm used to seeing in specs have pretty much increased by a factor of 10 (gotta love the Moore's Law). So that said, is this a good gaming PC for the price? How long before its made obsolete by newer and prettier games? To the best I can tell all it's components look solid except it's graphics card, which could always just be swapped out for something better.

There is no graphics card in this system. The Radeon graphics are built in to the APU.

skakebite

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skakebite

CPU benchmarks at 4484 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-5700+APU&id=12

One nice thing about this processor, aside from the built-in graphics, is that it's power draw is low. Should save some on the electricity bill.

bryanttxd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryanttxd

Hey guys, I want to get a desktop for my dad and was wondering if this was a good pc that would last 5 years + for his needs. He typically likes to download a bunch of random things, watch movies, check his mail, browse the web, burn dvds, and photoshop. He will be using photoshop cs6 and needs a computer that could handle that with everything else in the background. The 12GB memory seems good, I'm just not sure if the processor/video card would be able to handle his needs. Any input/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

cliffgun1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cliffgun1

You just keep waiting for the latest, newest version of everything. Guess you'll never own a decent machine.

Stucky101 wrote:Alright, it's been a while since I've been shopping for a gaming PC and all the numbers I'm used to seeing in specs have pretty much increased by a factor of 10 (gotta love the Moore's Law). So that said, is this a good gaming PC for the price? How long before its made obsolete by newer and prettier games? To the best I can tell all it's components look solid except it's graphics card, which could always just be swapped out for something better.

cliffgun1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cliffgun1

This isn't a bad machine at all for the price.

cliffgun1 wrote:You just keep waiting for the latest, newest version of everything. Guess you'll never own a decent machine.

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425
hairball98 wrote:It's sad that AMD hasn't really been a contender in the gaming space for some time, at least as far as processors are concerned. The 7660HD is not the weakest part of this system, the processor is--and you can't swap AMD for Intel w/o swapping the motherboard...and you were buying a new computer why?

AMD still is a gaming contender, the problem is you're comparing apples to oranges when you look at this APU (and this system in general). This is a low-power i3-equivalent processor with a 7660HD GPU tied to it internally. This is NOT a gaming processor, nor is it advertised as one by AMD. This is not a gaming system put together by HP in the least, more of a general computing system with a hell of a lot of memory.

If you want a gaming processor from AMD, you go with the FX line like an FX-8350 or higher and not with the APU line. Of course if you do that with this system advertised here you're going to need to rebuild the whole thing with a new MB and a graphics card so it's more or less a waste.

mikebwca

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebwca

Windows 8!
Ahhhhhhhyyyeeeeeeeaaahhhhhh...
I'll wait.

patchedupp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patchedupp

You can't anyways determine a computers playability by a graph found on the Internet. I have a laptop with an AMD A6 and I am playing Skyrim on medium setting. I have also played Dishonered. Currently playing Farcry 3 and have already tried Hitman Absolution. This is the AMD A10 which has better on board graphics. So the answer would be yes you can play today's games without upgrading to an overpriced video card.

joshthegeek wrote:Not a very good computer for gaming. Check out the performance graphs:

patchedupp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patchedupp

For what? Windows 9 lol

mikebwca wrote:Windows 8!
I'll wait.

ultrawolf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ultrawolf
mikebwca wrote:Windows 8!
I'll wait.

I wouldn't let Windows 8 be a deterrent. Yes, the metro interface is annoying, but it's easy to get to the desktop view. The lack of a start button and buried shutdown button are also annoying, but if you can't figure those out in five minutes, maybe you'd better stick with an Etch-A-Sketch.

ultrawolf

isnus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages isnus
skakebite wrote:CPU benchmarks at 4484 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-5700+APU&id=12

That is true that it less power than some other processors. For comparison:

One nice thing about this processor, aside from the built-in graphics, is that it's power draw is low. Should save some on the electricity bill.

The A10-5700 is rated at 65W max. Given my local electricity rates, this CPU would cost ~$40/yr to run 24/7 at full load/capacity.

The i7-2700k is rated at 95W and would cost $55/yr to run 24/7 at full load/capacity (figuring local electricity rates).

PassMark bechmark ratings:

A10-5700: 4,484 (previously noted)
i7-2700k: 8,976 (that is before overclocking which you would do if you get the k series).

I definitely agree that this system is a decent price for the money and would suffice for MOST users needs for the foreseeable future but would not be ideal for gaming.

Granted, a good GPU can turn a mediocre a system into one that can handle games formidably. If you want a cheap gaming system, this might be a decent machine to think about, just add a mid-level graphics card.

I hope this helps someone, somehow :p

isnus

joshthegeek wrote:Not a bad, low power processor for a HTPC.

It could certainly handle any HTPC requirements but at the cost of size and price. You can find HTPC solutions for $2-300 that are much smaller form factor (and built to be quiet in your media/living room). Nonetheless, it certainly could handle it.

isnus

bryanttxd wrote:Hey guys, I want to get a desktop for my dad and was wondering if this was a good pc that would last 5 years + for his needs. He typically likes to download a bunch of random things, watch movies, check his mail, browse the web, burn dvds, and photoshop. He will be using photoshop cs6 and needs a computer that could handle that with everything else in the background. The 12GB memory seems good, I'm just not sure if the processor/video card would be able to handle his needs. Any input/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

This should meet your dad's needs but it is hard to predict for how long without more information.

Had Photoshop not been mentioned, I would have no problem saying it would meet a parent or average user's needs for several years.

It will run Photoshop but the more complex work that you do the more resources you will need so it's hard to give a metric or recommendation regarding that (IMO).

You could always just clean the malware of his old machine, put a sticker on it, and then tell him it is new too ;)

ktischler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ktischler

There are several free programs, such as Classic Shell or Start Menu 8, that will give you the Start Button back. They also give you the option of disabling the Metro interface and boot directly to the Desktop.

ultrawolf wrote:I wouldn't let Windows 8 be a deterrent. Yes, the metro interface is annoying, but it's easy to get to the desktop view. The lack of a start button and buried shutdown button are also annoying, but if you can't figure those out in five minutes, maybe you'd better stick with an Etch-A-Sketch.

robinr99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinr99

! funny !~

ultrawolf wrote:I wouldn't let Windows 8 be a deterrent. Yes, the metro interface is annoying, but it's easy to get to the desktop view. The lack of a start button and buried shutdown button are also annoying, but if you can't figure those out in five minutes, maybe you'd better stick with an Etch-A-Sketch.

Gatesay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gatesay

Dang Woot! I just got the one just like this offered a couple weeks ago with only 8GB of RAM and Windows 7. I would of spent the $30 more.
Really happy with my purchase except to now see this :-)
FYI it has a 5.9 window Experience Index for whatever that is worth. I don't use it for gaming.

patruns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patruns

I was considering this for my father, but not with Windows 8 pre-installed. That is a deal breaker.

engineire

quality posts: 5 Private Messages engineire

You want the start menu back in windows 8?
Download Start8 at:
www.stardock.com/products/start8/
It's free.

ag100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ag100

I've had terrible luck with this class of HP PC's in general, and heard similar from others who've owned them. SATA controllers going bad after 8-12 months, motherboards failing shortly after, etc... I'll be passing.

sleepyheadkc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sleepyheadkc

I noticed that the power supply is only 300 watts -- is that enough to support adding a graphics card?

destroyeron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages destroyeron
Gatesay wrote:Dang Woot! I just got the one just like this offered a couple weeks ago with only 8GB of RAM and Windows 7. I would of spent the $30 more.
Really happy with my purchase except to now see this :-)
FYI it has a 5.9 window Experience Index for whatever that is worth. I don't use it for gaming.

I'd say you got the better deal. 7 > 8 and ram is cheap.

destroyeron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages destroyeron
sleepyheadkc wrote:I noticed that the power supply is only 300 watts -- is that enough to support adding a graphics card?

Could you? Probably. Would I want to? Not really, especially if you're going for a decent $ one. I also doubt the one it has will have the proper connectors for any of the more power hungry cards.

spawan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spawan

If not this, can someone recommend me a PC that can handle todays game on medium or low or run photoshop without problems for under 700$?

daveofva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveofva
destroyeron wrote:I'd say you got the better deal. 7 > 8 and ram is cheap.

If you think 7 > 8, you either haven't used 8 for more than 5 minutes, or you're inexperienced.

Either way, you're wrong, they didn't get the better deal.

daveofva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveofva
spawan wrote:If not this, can someone recommend me a PC that can handle todays game on medium or low or run photoshop without problems for under 700$?

You could build your own for under $700 if you're up for it... it's pretty easy. Even a novice can do it with a tutorial.

powermatt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages powermatt
spawan wrote:If not this, can someone recommend me a PC that can handle todays game on medium or low or run photoshop without problems for under 700$?

Pretty much any system like this, but with a dedicated GPU. The best bang for your buck in gaming, though, is always going to be building your own system.

You cold build the above system for about $400 getting parts from amazon or newegg. Then just add pretty much any GPU in the $200 range and you would be set to play any game on the market right now.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Lprice=500&Hprice=999.99&Nav=|c:4910|&Sort=3&Recs=30

You can get everything except Windows for under $700. You can probably get your dad's Windows key off his old PC and reinstall on the new one, if you can get install discs.

powermatt

daveofva wrote:You could build your own for under $700 if you're up for it... it's pretty easy. Even a novice can do it with a tutorial.

Indeed it is quite a lot easier these days. I built PC's back when you had to set the bus speed and multiplier physically with jumpers. If you got that wrong... goodbye CPU. Now it's all automatically handled by the BIOS or EFI.

FredWallace18

quality posts: 3 Private Messages FredWallace18
hairball98 wrote:It's sad that AMD hasn't really been a contender in the gaming space for some time, at least as far as processors are concerned.

I've had a Phenom 2 955 for nearly 4 years now, and I still play new games (Crysis 2, Arkham City) at max graphics. Honestly, video cards (and their bus) are the bottleneck these days.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
daveofva wrote:If you think 7 > 8, you either haven't used 8 for more than 5 minutes, or you're inexperienced.

Either way, you're wrong, they didn't get the better deal.

12.04 > 7 and 12.04 > 8

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

powermatt

FredWallace18 wrote:I've had a Phenom 2 955 for nearly 4 years now, and I still play new games (Crysis 2, Arkham City) at max graphics. Honestly, video cards (and their bus) are the bottleneck these days.

Very true. Raw CPU power hasn't mattered in gaming for several years now. It's a slightly different story in productivity applications, but for games GPU > CPU.

joestokely

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joestokely

Are we sure this comes with Windows 8 or Windows anything, or Linux? I don't see any mention of an operating system in the specs or elsewhere. This is "refurbished" remember. Just because HP sells these new with Win8 doesn't necessarily this one has it.

jaws24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaws24

So, has anyone here actually used a Trinity A10 for gaming, or is all of this based on benchmarks?

I've seen some pretty cool demos with recent game releases on an A10 APU. It may not compare with a $500 graphics card, but it IS just a $500 PC.

isnus

destroyeron wrote:Could you? Probably. Would I want to? Not really, especially if you're going for a decent $ one. I also doubt the one it has will have the proper connectors for any of the more power hungry cards.

There are some moderately efficient graphics cards (7700 series for instance) that are also quite inexpensive. Replacing the power supply isn't expensive either, but of course it sort of defeats the purpose of buying a prebuilt system I suppose.