WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Soothe Your Savage Beast: Musical Instruments

It's hard to sell tickets to your shower. Well, it's hard to sell tickets to OUR shower, anyway. So if you're gonna make it out of the garage and on to a real stage you need to practice. And to practice, you need some instruments.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ROGETRAY wrote:Ahhh man...I totally call dibs on the Harmonica for Dummies Kit. So what is the age range on these different bundles? Can just anyone pick these up and learn to use them?

I keep hoping someone in the office will get the bongos.

I'm just hanging out, really.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
ROGETRAY wrote:Ahhh man...I totally call dibs on the Harmonica for Dummies Kit. So what is the age range on these different bundles? Can just anyone pick these up and learn to use them?.

As far as the violin goes, a full size violin is generally what most kids in junior high or adult violinists would use, unless they are particularly petite. A 5th or 6th grader (what age is that? 11ish?) would likely use a 3/4 size. If that gives you a bit of perspective.

kmylml

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kmylml

Is the ukulele a soprano?

consideringtheblues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages consideringtheblues

Is the harmonica key of C?

Also, what are the dimensions of the harmonica - is it for children or is it big enough for adults?

goodmayham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodmayham

I grabbed the harmonica last time it was offered. I know nothing about them nor music but I'll be helpful where I can.

The harmonica is in C. It is a standard sized harmonica (do they make children's sizes?) with 10 holes.

I did have a reed that wasn't functioning, but it was an easy fix (hey, the book tells how to do it!). I like it well enough, and it seems solid (but again, I know nothing about these things - take the word of the ignorant man for what it's worth.)

developerzero

quality posts: 9 Private Messages developerzero
runnerfrog13 wrote:As far as the violin goes, a full size violin is generally what most kids in junior high or adult violinists would use, unless they are particularly petite. A 5th or 6th grader (what age is that? 11ish?) would likely use a 3/4 size. If that gives you a bit of perspective.

I've got two questions following up on this:
1) Anyone know if this is a full-size (4/4) or kids (3/4) violin? I didn't see anything in the description.
2) Anyone buy this previously? Have any comments? I haven't heard much good about these sub-$100 violins, but I've wanted to learn to play for a while, and don't want to spend a ton.

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark
developerzero wrote:I've got two questions following up on this:
1) Anyone know if this is a full-size (4/4) or kids (3/4) violin? I didn't see anything in the description.
2) Anyone buy this previously? Have any comments? I haven't heard much good about these sub-$100 violins, but I've wanted to learn to play for a while, and don't want to
spend a ton.

The description under features say that it is full size. I haven't brought any violins--I inheirted a quality instrument. Unfortunately I have no talent for the violin. :-(

This is the one instrument where learning to play on any level enters you into an age-old controversey: do you play the violin or the fiddle? :-)

happypuppy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages happypuppy
kmylml wrote:Is the ukulele a soprano?

Yes, the ukulele is a soprano ukulele.

th3cap3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages th3cap3
developerzero wrote:I've got two questions following up on this:
2) Anyone buy this previously? Have any comments? I haven't heard much good about these sub-$100 violins, but I've wanted to learn to play for a while, and don't want to spend a ton.

I bought the violin for dummies last time it was up, as far as quality goes, it seems fine to me. I have been messing with it and trying to learn, been a good bit of fun. I will say, that the violin is a loud instrument when played, but you can get string silencers from most music stores to allow a quieter play while practicing.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain

Aw man, the guiro is already sold out; how am I going to perform Low Rider now?

djpimpstick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djpimpstick

The Kyser capo isn't a deal at all.

It's $14.73 on Amazon and prime eligible.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyser-6-String-Capo-Black/dp/B0002CZVWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359399556&sr=8-1&keywords=kyser

dlm85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dlm85

Bongos arrived today. Very good quality and sound good to someone who has never played them before. Time to search the web for bongo lessons.