6%
6%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

$100 MSRP and all it does is boil water?
even at $40, a kettle that only boils seems steep.

there are better kettles that will get water to the temperature of your liking [for tea] for this price.

buffalojr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buffalojr

Looks really interesting and am interested since it is 40% cheaper. A little concerned about a substantial portion of reviews on amazon referring to a foul odor/taste that the water gets, anyone know if this is from an improper breakin process or just the luck of the draw?

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-259-03-Kettle-Polished-Chrome/dp/B000BY4ZHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358869050&sr=8-1&keywords=Capresso+1.5+Quart+Glass+Water+Kettle

notsomuch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages notsomuch
bbkf wrote:$100 MSRP and all it does is boil water?

there are better kettles that will get water to the temperature of your liking [for tea] for this price.

Yeah but are they as good lookin'?

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

hysonmb

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hysonmb

The complaints on Amazon about a foul order and the handle eventually giving out while pouring hot water have turned me off of this one. Looks cool, but, I need something that's not going to stink up the house or potentially land someone in the ER.

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB

This is a good price, but you will also need a thermometer for making tea properly.

If I didn't already have a Presto Heat and Steep for work, I'd get this for that purpose. At home I use the Breville One-Touch Tea Maker. And, yes, it's worth the hefty price tag if you're a dedicated tea drinker.

rl5555

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rl5555

I own one of this.
You can see water boiling through the glass which is a plus.
My issue with this kettle is there's a funny taste on the boiled water I think emit from the rubber o-ring next to the heating element.

sturgidson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sturgidson

Also own one of these, and have now for 1.5 years at least.

We have NOT had a long-term foul odor. There was a mild odor the first few days, but after, perhaps, 5 boils that dissipated, and I don't recall it ever affecting the taste.

The base and pot are quite nice and elegant, but I do think it has some build-quality issues. The handles and lid are plastic, which shows clear signs of wear, and, while the handle has not failed us yet, I do have a fear of its failure. Additionally, the auto-off feature that switches off the heating element when the water boils has somewhat degraded over the year - water boils for perhaps 30 seconds longer now before it switches off than it did on its first use.

We'll likely be replacing this pot soon, and probably not with the same model.

LLBeanJ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LLBeanJ
bbkf wrote:$100 MSRP and all it does is boil water?

Good point, and I snickered at "steep"...

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf
LLBeanJ wrote:Good point, and I snickered at "steep"...

ha, that's funny i meant to put a after steep

rholland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rholland

We received one of these as a gift over a year ago. Use it all the time. Boils the water fast if you want a quick cup of tea or instant coffee. Don't remember ever having an odor or funny taste. I will buy one again when this one stops working. Didn't know how much I would like it until I got it.

tscateh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tscateh

We have one of these, had it for about 6 months - absolutely love it. No foul odor (I'm a smell sensitive person, would have noticed that!), no mechanical issues, nothing. Just works, and looks good.

tphili17

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tphili17

I own one of these for a couple years now. I'm not too sensitive to water taste, so I can't comment if it changes that, but I found no odor from it nor has the handle broken off.
My only complaint is that the switch is a little sensitive and it's possible to set it on the cradle (empty, after using it) and accidentally turn on the heating element. I don't know if it has an auto-off feature, but each time I caught it quickly but had to turn it off myself.

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I have one, and have had one for quite a while. Works very well boiling water, very fast. I never noticed any problems with order or taste. Probably a decent deal at this price, if you are need of something like this.

Etaria

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Etaria

We have had this for about 5 years. It shows no signs of wear, button works flawlessly. Water tastes fine (even after we first got it there was no strange taste).

When the water is finished boiling, it still stops immediately. I don't know, but maybe we were super lucky and just got a super good model?

My soon took it with him to college this last year, and he brought it back- still in excellent condition. He used it to make himself coffee in his dorm room with my french press I lent him.

I have a feeling when he finishes college and moves out, I may be needing a new french press and water boiler, may as well scoop it up now.

WhaThe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WhaThe

I had one of these for years and loved it. At some point the switch broke and I went back to the old fashioned kettle on top of a gas stove.

capresso

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capresso

The Capresso Glass water kettle is UL listed and uses FDA approved parts for food contact. Most new products have a bit of a "smell" when you first get them but this goes away after the product is unpacked and used a few times. You can clean the kettle with lemon juice or white vinegar to help remove the new smell after you get the kettle.
--Sr. Capresso Product Manager

cngranger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cngranger

I've had this kettle for a few years now and will continue to recommend it to everyone. There is no odor to the water and mine always has water in it but I also use filtered water. I do make sure the dome is covered with water before turning it on and usually turn it off myself once it gets to a simmer. They do make a model with a thermostat, but not at this price. I use an infrared thermometer, if I need an exact temp. It makes my kitchen look better just by being on my counter and even more so when it's simmering.

tphili17

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tphili17
tphili17 wrote:I own one of these for a couple years now. I'm not too sensitive to water taste, so I can't comment if it changes that, but I found no odor from it nor has the handle broken off.
My only complaint is that the switch is a little sensitive and it's possible to set it on the cradle (empty, after using it) and accidentally turn on the heating element. I don't know if it has an auto-off feature, but each time I caught it quickly but had to turn it off myself.

Need to clarify my complaint: The unit would certainly turn off automatically once the water reached boiling temperature. However, when there is *no water in the unit* and it is turned on, I have not seen it turn off by itself, but admittedly I have not tested this case well as the longest it was on in this state was no more than 30 seconds.

markriddle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages markriddle

This is a high quality product that will last many years if cared for properly. This model is stylish and looks good on a counter. Have thought often of just purchasing it, however the partner insists we wait until the Braun blows up...maybe in another 15 years

cnorcom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cnorcom

I have had one of these for over a year. I use it daily with a french coffee press. Using this combination for coffee in the monring has reduced the footprint on my countertop. I no longer use a big coffee maker. This thing is much more attractive, anyway.

You can boil water in just over a minute for a variety of things: coffee, tea, oatmeal, or whatever the heck you need boiled water for really fast! This is very good quality but do treat it carefully because it is glass.

The bottom doesn't get hot. You can take it off the base with the water still boiling and safely place it on a counter top or table.

Plus, it just looks really cool.

I don't regret my purchase. If you're thinking about it go ahead. This is a great price.

mtgoldma

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mtgoldma

I thought about getting this one when I was looking for an electric kettle that's not made out of plastic (for BPA/leeching safety reasons, which are particularly concerning for hot liquids). I wound up getting a stainless steel one from Breville that I've been happy with. From my research, it seemed like they all had some exposed plastic parts. This one is more attractive than mine, FWIW.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

Am I the only wooter that is sorry this was not part of a woot off and gone hours ago? lol

adkstrider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adkstrider

Bought this last time around--it works pretty much as advertised and looks good doing it. After lots of tea water we haven't noticed any taste issues. My only complaints include an "on" light that doesn't shine brightly unless viewed from a limited and direct angle and the lid is plasticy and cheapish in proportion to the rest of its solid construction. It's fine for this price.

otashman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages otashman

Anyone know if this one has issues in high-altitude?

caseyst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caseyst

I've had two of these now, one sadly killed in a freak dropping accident. I mourned it until I found another one on sale. My two never had any off taste to the water, they boil incredibly fast, and the wireless operation makes them a joy to use. Would I pay $100 bucks for one? No, but I never had to - even full retail my first two were nowhere near that price. I believe that $100 buck MSRP is a bit hopped up. But - do I love it? Damned right I do. Just bought another one just in case of future droppage.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Available at Bed Bath & Beyond for about 60 bucks, which translates to about $48 after you use a coupon. I guess that makes the woot deal pretty special.