5%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

benmason

quality posts: 4 Private Messages benmason

This is actually not a bad deal compared to the rest of the things they have. Yeah there are people who can make the greatest computer ever named with this price, but for average people the build is fine. IF you are a gamer you will want to replace the power supply and the graphics card for high graphic games, but other than that it is a fine deal.

wfarmer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wfarmer

HP Pavilion P7-1297C Desktop PC, AMD Trinity A10-5700 Quad-Core 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, 2TB SATA, USB 3.0, Radeon HD 7660D, 802.11n, W7HP (refurb) for $449.99.

I was able to find this for $479 to $499 for a refurbished unit elsewhere online. Reviews are hard to come by but they're vaguely positive on Circuit City. Specs can be found here.

whipwilson75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whipwilson75

It would be nice if an HDMI out were available. Otherwise looks like a good deal. My HP refurb from Woot is still going strong after 2 years...

whipwilson75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whipwilson75

Should have mentioned, the same is true for my Woot-sourced refurb Samsung laptop...Woot rocks!

jwalk1a

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jwalk1a

I'm in for one.

Selling points for me:
AMD Trinity processor w/ 4MB L2
7200 rpm hard drive
Expansion slots to add more RAM
Expansion slot to add better graphics card
Wireless N network card

The plan is to spend an additional $250 to beef up the specs on this already decent PC.

1) Add a SSD as the boot drive for faster performance. The 2TB HD will become the data drive or can be removed from the PC and placed in an enclosure as an external hard drive.

2) RAM is relatively cheap, so add more.

3) The integrated Radeon graphics card should be fine. Incidentally, I am a little disappointed there is no HDMI port. That said, a PCI Express x16 slot is available for installing a better graphics card in the future.

4) A more robust power supply may be needed for all these suggested upgrades.

Ps. It doesn't say on woot or on the HP specs site linked above, but this processor has 4MB of L2 cache.

Bay Area John

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Bay Area John
jwalk1a wrote:
4) A more robust power supply may be needed for all these suggested upgrades.

Just beware that the single biggest thing in the way of upgrading many of these HP computers is the non-standard physical size of the power supply. You can't usually replace it with any other brand. I've seen one outboarded but what a mess.

I bought one about 3 years ago here and it's been fine, I'm pushing the limits of the power supply, but recently adding a SSD and a new Geforce GT 640 actually LOWERED the current draw from my prior setup. If you don't go crazy, you may be able to keep the stock PSU.

If you KNOW you need a premium power-hungry video card for high-grade gaming, consider a different starting point.

bmason3604

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bmason3604
Bay Area John wrote:Just beware that the single biggest thing in the way of upgrading many of these HP computers is the non-standard physical size of the power supply. You can't usually replace it with any other brand. I've seen one outboarded but what a mess.

I bought one about 3 years ago here and it's been fine, I'm pushing the limits of the power supply, but recently adding a SSD and a new Geforce GT 640 actually LOWERED the current draw from my prior setup. If you don't go crazy, you may be able to keep the stock PSU.

If you KNOW you need a premium power-hungry video card for high-grade gaming, consider a different starting point.

According to the product page, the PSU's dimensions are 5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 which are the same as say a Corsair CX430 which is a popular budget PSU. Although higher wattage PSU's might be a little bigger/longer.

trekna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trekna
jwalk1a wrote:
3) The integrated Radeon graphics card should be fine. Incidentally, I am a little disappointed there is no HDMI port. That said, a PCI Express x16 slot is available for installing a better graphics card in the future.

Not such a big problem. It does have a DVI-D port and cables exist to go from DVI to HDMI.

For example, Amazon has a 3 meter cable for 6.99
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U

It may not suffice for playing Blu Ray, but for general use it's more than fine since this machine doesn't have one.

rustybender

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rustybender

I know nothing about AMD processors. Is there a particular intel CPU (i3,i5,i7) this would compare to?

Mrsockmonkie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mrsockmonkie

I bought a HP P7-1202 Pavilion a little over a year ago, and I had no issues installing a new power supply and beefier graphics card...from what I can tell this model uses the same form factor power supply as mine.

HP Pavilion p7-1202

HP Pavilion p7-1297c

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek
whipwilson75 wrote:It would be nice if an HDMI out were available. Otherwise looks like a good deal. My HP refurb from Woot is still going strong after 2 years...

A DVI to HDMI converter is easy enough to get.

Both of my refurbs are working great. This would be an upgrade from what I have, but not enough to buy at this time. Will keep watching.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

jlsenn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlsenn

The AMD Trinity is AMD's current generation CPU that has a Radeon GPU on the same chip. The GPU is much better than Intel's integrated graphics, but the CPU is slower than even Intel's i3.

I just bought this same PC last week (except with 12GB RAM) and I have been impressed so far. Its fast and upgradable, which is nearly impossible to find at anywhere close to this price point.

NOTE: My son has been playing Planetside 2 on it and we may have run into some heat issues (choppy gameplay) after a few hours of playing. I haven't played anything more intense yet, but I did not buy it for a gaming machine so it's a nice perk that is does play modern games with perhaps only a little heat issue.

bunnyb0y

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyb0y
Bay Area John wrote:Just beware that the single biggest thing in the way of upgrading many of these HP computers is the non-standard physical size of the power supply. You can't usually replace it with any other brand. I've seen one outboarded but what a mess.

I've upgraded dozens of HP & Compaq desktops over the last few years and all of them have had standard PSU sizes. The last time I had any issue with a non-standard PSU was years ago with Dell's proprietary pin layout.

That being said, this is a fairly solid deal. For comparison sake Officemax currently has the HP p7-1439 desktop for $499 which is basically this computer but new with a 1.5TB hard drive instead of 2TB and comes with Windows 8 installed.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
rustybender wrote:I know nothing about AMD processors. Is there a particular intel CPU (i3,i5,i7) this would compare to?

In CPU power in single core performance it's about equivalent to a 2GHZ Intel Ivy Bridge CPU, Intel's latest CPUs. So it's very decent.

In terms of integrated graphics, it's probably even better than Intel's HD4700 graphics which aren't out yet (Haswell)

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Darn. I was waiting for all the HP haters to pile on, so I could say, "good thing they don't make razors and blades."

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

sjtmbg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjtmbg

I just bought this same computer on moofi, but it was $30 more and had 4G more RAM. Is it typical for moofi items to be previews for what's about to come to woot.com at a lower price, ie, should I wait in the future?

regularguy2011

quality posts: 0 Private Messages regularguy2011

You can buy it new for about $ 100.00 more so why buy refurbished?

jr1943nc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jr1943nc
jwalk1a wrote:I'm in for one.

...The plan is to spend an additional $250 to beef up the specs on this already decent PC.

1) Add a SSD as the boot drive for faster performance. The 2TB HD will become the data drive or can be removed from the PC and placed in an enclosure as an external hard drive....

I, too, have an HP system and have added a SSD for the boot drive. My concern is wear from all the applications writing to their temp files. Do have any links to reliable sites that explain in detail how to configure Win7 and various programs (e.g. MS Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, Elements, Vegas Pro, etc.) to redirect writing their temp files to the (now secondary) HDD? Thanks.

behappi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages behappi

Does anyone know the effects of downgrading from Win7 to Xp Pro on the newer systems. Will it slow things down considerably, etc? I will soon need a new server for my office and cannot mix xp pro with win 7. I don't want to have to replace 10 computers at one time. Thanks.

blackkcalb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackkcalb
regularguy2011 wrote:You can buy it new for about $ 100.00 more so why buy refurbished?

to save a hundred dollars

savageone79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages savageone79

I have the A8 3.2ghz version of this same desktop. Threw in an SSD boot drive and it is very fast. LOVE IT. The A10 CPU in this machine is roughly comparable to an Intel i5 of the same speed. Slower in some ways faster in others. For gaming the Intel chip is better but overall usage its a wash and this is much cheaper. I get between i3 and i5 performance out of my AMD A8 chip and am happy with it. I paid $499 for it 6 months ago and don't regret it at all.

harkael

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harkael

According to this review this pc should be just fine for playing just about any new game with some moderate tweaking of the settings. People often look at a computer like this and say "oh this should be ok if all you're doing is checking email and looking at youtube" and I find it a bit absurd. I have a laptop that is roughly 1/4 the performance of this desktop in nearly every spec, and it performs all those functions just fine. You're getting a lot of computer for the price here. There will definitely be some games that will not run well even on medium settings, but that's to be expected.

The only potential con I've seen with this computer is the upgrade potential. It uses the amd fm2 socket (the thing you plug your cpu into). It's fairly new and amd has said they will support it through 2014, but all of the current cpus for it are more in the "budget" range of specs. It's not a bad cpu, but there's no telling if you'll ever be able to stick a high-end cpu in this machine without replacing the motherboard as well. If the integrated gpu isn't cutting it you can always upgrade to a more powerful videocard, but a dual-gpu setup is not going to happen unless it's compatible with the integrated gpu. This is because there is only one pcie x16 slot.

*The review is for the amd a10 5800k, but the integrated gpu is the same as this one.

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

Spec are good except the graphics card:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7660D

You would have to replace that for serious games.

beagle68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beagle68

I am just starting my own photography business and I need to upgrade from what I have right now. I like that this is a quad core but the AMD processor is not anything I've ever used before. I have always had Intel Pentium processors. How would this compare? The one I have now is a dual core but is over 5 years old. It's getting pretty full with over 50,000 photos. I will clean it out and pass it to my children to use for school and such. Thoughts are welcome!

jamesmjs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesmjs

in for 1 to replace a really under-powered ASUS eeebox to attach to my TV.
Since this doesn't have HDMI, though, I know I'll need a DVI to HDMI cable.

What do people suggest for audio?
Would mini-plug to RCA connector for audio be the way to go?

Any other better audio options?

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
behappi wrote:Does anyone know the effects of downgrading from Win7 to Xp Pro on the newer systems. Will it slow things down considerably, etc? I will soon need a new server for my office and cannot mix xp pro with win 7. I don't want to have to replace 10 computers at one time. Thanks.

1. There's no guarantee that a new PC will even _run_ Windows XP. In general, you might get lucky and perhaps the components are all old enough to have XP drivers, or you might not.
2. You're going to have to bite the bullet and abandon XP eventually, so may as well get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. If the concern is LM/NTLM authentication or something silly like that, it's relatively easy to work around.
3. Unless you use Windows XP Professional x64 (which is highly NOT recommended and likely to be especially problematic) you will instantly lose more than half of your RAM. Windows XP will only be able to use ~3.5GB of the 8GB total.

mikebwca

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebwca
behappi wrote:Does anyone know the effects of downgrading from Win7 to Xp Pro on the newer systems. Will it slow things down considerably, etc? I will soon need a new server for my office and cannot mix xp pro with win 7. I don't want to have to replace 10 computers at one time. Thanks.

No need to downgrade. Run Virtual PC, or, VirtualBox, and run your XP Pro in Windows 7!

I bought a P7-1202 a while back on woot. And I just order this one yesterday.

My p7-1202 is fast enough, and has enough memory that I can run Starcraft2, and, Virtual PC running Windows 7, Vista, or XP, at the same time. Or, I can run up to 3 Virtual machines at the same time.

This new pc has 8 gig, and can have up to 32gig, so there shouldn't be an issue with memory.

ElisComing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElisComing

Just snagged one!! It should be much faster than my old one from the school district sale!! Never used Win7 before. Hope I like it. Can't wait for it to get here!

ELI OUT!

10/8/2007 Mini USB Clip-On Webcam X 3
11/18/2007 Micro Remote Control Helicopter X 3 12/6/2007 Creative Zen V Plus 4GB Portable Media Player X 1 3/7/2008 VTech 5.8Ghz Digital Cordless Phone with 4 Handsets and Digital Answering System 5/1/2008 Philips Prestigo 10 Device Universal Remote Control
11/14/2008 Kingston 2GB Micro SD Card with Adapter X 1 1-9-09 Philips PC Stereo Headset with Microphone X3 1-19-13 HP Pavilion P7-1297C Desktop PC

bobert87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobert87

Just ordered it. I was wondering if I can add a second hard drive and partition it. If so, can it be a SATA III 6Gbps drive?

Thanks,
Bobert

bradcad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradcad

Booted mine up for the first time last night! seems more than fast enough and looks brand new. I have a house full of refub'd items and this unit just adds to that success.

Thanks Woot!