WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Flexi-Keyboards For Topographic Desks

If your work surface is covered in bumps, valleys, fissures, and other topographical features, you need a flexible keyboard. You see, standard keyboards will rock back and forth on even the smallest desk-mountain, whereas flexi-keyboards will cover them with ease. 

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

These look like great keyboards for traveling. Anyone tried one for that?

I'm just hanging out, really.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

I [unfortunately] just had my car in the shop last week, and noticed they had one of these! I don't think I'd want to type on one full time, but in an environment where's there's a lot of dirt and grime, I think it's a great idea.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

wellzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wellzer

I have owned one and it was kind of annoying pressing the keys down and have to almost hit the key perfectly in the center or the silicone just bends. It made me feel like I was typing slower than normal. Its a good idea for portability but I wouldn't want to type on this for long periods of time.

clockmn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clockmn

It may be easier to go back in time and chisel your message on a rock then type on this keyboard! Bought two dozen for my computer shop to sell had 14 come back in for return. They did last a week or so for most! lol. Good luck :-)

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady

I use 2 itty bitty hammers... one in each hand, and type out whac-a-mole style.

StupidN00bie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StupidN00bie

These are rather decent for emergency keyboards, or if you regularly spill sodas on them. Otherwise, spring for a cheapo walmart special.

The keys require a serious press, and will make your fingers hurt if you use them for a long time (Writing a paper). There's also a significant problem with ghosting, and pressing two keys will likely not have one of them register.

On the plus side, they are incredibly light-weight, and take up very little space when rolled up and in storage. As I noted before, they are entirely coated in silicone, and will not short out when spilling soft drinks on them.

TL;DR Use as a backup keyboard

papakim

quality posts: 2 Private Messages papakim

Does anyone know if this will work with an iPad if I have the Apple USB dongle?

jaideh

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jaideh

I got one for my son and one to try for a travel keyboard the last time they were offered. My son is 8 and has got used to how you have to press the keys, which is pretty much in the center and hard enough to register. He likes the bright color, I like that he won't wreck it if he spills something on it.
I struggle using it because you have to press hard and I am a pretty light typist. Lack of a number pad is another big downfall for me.

3z3vh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 3z3vh

These keyboards are the best you can get for PCs in the kitchen (for recipes) or garage (for repair information). Grubby fingers and spills don't damage it, and you can roll it up and store it out of the way when not in-use. I would NEVER use it in an environment where I would sit down and type more than a sentence at a time.

They are plenty durable, as the one I own has been used in my garage for two years now. I have even dropped heavy wrenches directly on it, and it still works fine. The only part you need to protect is the bubble that contains the electronics themselves. The keys are pretty much indestructible, unless you give it to a dog to chew on. The electronics portion however, is just like any printed circuit board where too much abuse will cause components to break off the board.

3z3vh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 3z3vh
papakim wrote:Does anyone know if this will work with an iPad if I have the Apple USB dongle?

If that dongle allows a typical desktop keyboard to be used, it will work with this keyboard as well.

This keyboard uses no unique drivers or protocols, so anything that can use a normal USB keyboard, can use this USB keyboard.

rich5665

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rich5665

I remember when these first came out. They were advertised as virtually indestructible. Who ever wrote the advertisement back then must not have had kids. Mine last three days. I found typing to be very uncomfortable and the keys not so responsive.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

with the flu season here you'll be able to wipe these down with a clorox wipe if you're concerned about germs.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

clockmn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clockmn

You can wipe any keyboard down :-)

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
clockmn wrote:You can wipe any keyboard down :-)

to some extent without worrying about chemicals getting into the electronics. I would be more comfortable with something sealed.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

RWallmow

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RWallmow
3z3vh wrote:These keyboards are the best you can get for PCs in the kitchen (for recipes)...

Exactly! Have one of these on my touch screen kitchen PC, just wipe the screen and keyboard down when they get splattered on.