WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The Sprout Watch From Gremlins Yessss

Hello pretty humanssss. Gremlin give you good deal on watches, yesss? Wear them on your wrists, humans will, yesssSSS. Will like gremlinsss when you wear the watchessss. Will want to bring us sugarssss and candiessss, for we cannot leave the forest, noooo. Good humansss, yessss, try on the watchessss. 

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ROGETRAY wrote:I'd make a joke about how these aren't to be fed at midnight or how you can't get water on them, but by the looks of it, I'd say they look like they can handle both of those. I wonder how well these things can hold up?
I'm just hanging out, really.

unstealthiestninja

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unstealthiestninja
inkycatz wrote:

That's what I'd like to know, I'm a little skeptical to buy them because similar watches from Amazon are reportedly more fragile than they appear.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
unstealthiestninja wrote:That's what I'd like to know, I'm a little skeptical to buy them because similar watches from Amazon are reportedly more fragile than they appear.

Hopefully someone will cruise by with some reviews! (Yes, world, that was a hint.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

I was looking at the specs and it doesn't mention whether it has an alarm feature, shows the date, or even tells time (I'll assume it at least does the latter). Anybody know?

goodmayham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodmayham

I bought 2 a few weeks ago. I can't say I've really put them through their paces to test out durability.

I can say that they are very no-frills (maybe even no-basics). There is no backlight, alarm, stopwatch, nor capability to alternate between 12/24 hour (sorry military time people -I feel your pain).

It can display the date, but it is nigh impossible to do so while wearing the watch. On the back of the watch are two small buttons (I needed a pen to depress them). One is for setting the watch, the other is for displaying the date. Essentially, it's too difficult to get to to be functional. [There are no buttons on the sides]

You can pop the actual watch free of the band. Since I bought two, if I were to ruin one, I can simply use it like a flex watch.

As for sizing options, I have very small wrists (I'm a 5'10" 135 pound twig: wrist circumference ~6.5 inches) and the small/medium is a loose fit. Also, it's not a struggle to stretch the band to fit over my hand when getting it on (and it doesn't feel like the band will snap when doing so)

I'm happy with mine given that I wanted something I wouldn't cry over if I destroyed it. I can't speak to the time accuracy yet, but it isn't really a concern of mine. It might be hard to justify only getting one unless you are buying something else to spread the shipping cost over.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3
goodmayham wrote:wrist circumference ~6.5 inches) and the small/medium is a loose fit.

Well, crap. Thank you for mentioning this, I was hoping since it wasn't one size fits all it'd fit me, but this would be too loose.

Woot, sell a kids' version of these! I have tiny carny-wrists bare of a stretchy watch...

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
goodmayham wrote:I bought 2 a few weeks ago. I can't say I've really put them through their paces to test out durability.

Is the back fully enclosed by silicone, or is there metal against your skin? Unfortunately at this point that's my primary watch requirement - no metal touching my skin - and there's no photo of the back of these.

mesauter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mesauter

I have one of these too. It is NOT fully enclosed on the back. It was a little hard to set the time (my eyesight isn't the greatest), but once I popped it out of the band I could do it. I may get a couple more in different colors.

Nekkochan wrote:Is the back fully enclosed by silicone, or is there metal against your skin? Unfortunately at this point that's my primary watch requirement - no metal touching my skin - and there's no photo of the back of these.

goodmayham

The back is not fully enclosed. It is made of plastic. However, there are two very small recessed metal buttons on the back. I imagine that these could be covered fairly easily/creatively.

goodmayham

goodmayham wrote:However, there are two very small recessed metal buttons on the back. I imagine that these could be covered fairly easily/creatively.

Here we go, someone has a photo of the back http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5293009&pageindex=1&replycount=26#post5303586

Shingalana

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shingalana

so the two 00's at the bottom...does that count seconds?

danbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danbar
Shingalana wrote:so the two 00's at the bottom...does that count seconds?

Yes, or you can set the watch to show the date at the bottom instead.

I bought 2 of these a couple weeks ago and really like them for what they are. They are mainly used at work, and can handle getting wet no problem.

The only drawback is I keep getting asked if my watch is also one of those powerbands. Ugh.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
goodmayham wrote:Here we go, someone has a photo of the back http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5293009&pageindex=1&replycount=26#post5303586

Awesome, thanks guys. Think I'll have to get a couple of these.

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2

Great comments so far, I had another question to add to the mix:

I have been waiting for a small (like less than 0.75in. in Diameter)watch to convert into a bracelet. I dont like the large clunky watches "men" like to wear, nor the "sporty" neon colored silicon bands out now, so I intend to find the smallest watch face possible and weave it into a network of leather straps that can take a beating.

So my question is:
Is the watch FACE indeed 22mm in Diameter, or does that 22mm include the silicon holder? If it is just the viewing portion of the watch, I think it will still be too large for my use.

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

jonathanluu2 wrote:
I have been waiting for a small (like less than 0.75in. in Diameter)watch to convert into a bracelet. I dont like the large clunky watches "men" like to wear, nor the "sporty" neon colored silicon bands out now, so I intend to find the smallest watch face possible and weave it into a network of leather straps that can take a beating.

I think it will be larger than what you want. The only benefit would be it can be removed from the silicon band, so you can do what you want to with the face.

goodmayham

jonathanluu2 wrote:
So my question is:
Is the watch FACE indeed 22mm in Diameter, or does that 22mm include the silicon holder? If it is just the viewing portion of the watch, I think it will still be too large for my use.

Okay, the watch face is the size of a quarter (see link to tweet for photo: https://twitter.com/GoodMayham/status/291602767741591552), the actual watch component is slightly larger (again photo).

I should also mention that the watch component when removed from the band is about half a quarter in thickness (put a quarter down, place the watch on it perpendicular to it, it covers about half of it - savvy?). I don't know if that is too thick for what you are looking to do, particularly since you will have to weave around the entire thing to seat the watch in the band (no great way to attach it that I see). Just thought I'd mention it.

Hope that helps

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2
goodmayham wrote:

Hope that helps

Great! That answers my question quite thoroughly, and yes, I am savvy on how you described the thickness after demonstrating to myself with a real quarter haha. Unfortunately, that means I will continue searching, but a good answer none the less. I would have given you two quality posts by now.