3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

geognerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages geognerd

Every school I attended had Peavey products in the gym or auditorium.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Buy the Orange and spray paint it black.

Literally the same guitar with a different paint job is not worth $20.

Absurd.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
curtisuxor wrote:Buy the Orange and spray paint it black.

Absurd.

For that extra twenty bucks you also get

Stand
Tuner with Batteries
Spare Strings
Instructional DVD

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Absurd.

The black also has a few extra items "in the box".

Check out the Specs tab.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

redrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redrick

Does the amp go to 11?

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
ThunderThighs wrote:The black also has a few extra items "in the box".

Check out the Specs tab.

The strap isn't listed for the black one, but it's in the picture.

rmeden

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rmeden

If you want to learn to play guitar, get the black, as it includes extra strings, a stand, and the ever important instructional DVD.

If you already know how to play guitar, get the lavender and you can smash it like a real rocker. Probably not much else you'll want to do with it.

captainamerricka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainamerricka

Absurd.

Actually if you read the description, the black guitar comes with a tuner, spare strings, and a dvd. Considering the value of the tuner and strings (about $15) and ignoring the dvd because learning on the Internet is free, its about $5 for a paint scheme that does not look like a poor spray paint job.

ThunderThighs

Staff

craigthom wrote:The strap isn't listed for the black one, but it's in the picture.

Thanks. I'll see about getting that added.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Ryballz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ryballz

Bought the black bundle last month for my 10 year old. Even though it came in 2 factory sealed boxes it was missing all the extras. Still waiting on woot to do an exchange, but they haven't responded in a week.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Ryballz wrote:Bought the black bundle last month for my 10 year old. Even though it came in 2 factory sealed boxes it was missing all the extras. Still waiting on woot to do an exchange, but they haven't responded in a week.

Sorry about that. I'll email them and see if that helps. Be sure to check your spam folder though.

FORUM MODERATOR

wootmeharder

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wootmeharder

Nothing like good old American rock and roll...

Played on a Chinese guitar...

It's supposed to be Led Zeppelin, not lead PAINT!!!!

Seriously...go to a guitar store, try out some of the used stuff and buy one that speaks to you. Pass on this garbage.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

The specs read like an okay instrument.
I'm surprised to read it's a solid body guitar with a rosewood fingerboard.
Similarly priced intro guitars are nearly always pressed wood.
This is not the case here.

The price is a little puzzling. If I were to have to guess at how they did this, I'd say the hardware (machine heads, bridge, etc) and amp will be really really bad.

Not to say that you couldn't upgrade them, but, you generally get what you pay for.

Might be fun, but for me, fun is dangerous with instruments when it's cheap. Fun and cheap can mean difficult to play, and that can mean your kid will never get over the frustrating stumbling blocks of a guitar that cannot be played or sound at all how they want it to.
The guitar is tricky for this reason already. If you add an impossibly low quality instrument to the equation, it could be a real shame.

I'd be very very interested to hear if anyone has any experience with these models.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx

Really wish the black came without the accessories and was priced the same as the orange.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 45 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

I got the orange one and received it yesterday. Looks nice and feels very solid. It had very sharp fret ends, due to wood shrinkage (common in guitars made over seas, even higher priced ones). I was planning on picking up a fret end file to remedy the problem, but after sitting in my living room for only 24 hours, it has already started to fix itself (quite noticeably). My guess is a few more days sitting out in the open will be enough to fix the problem, so I'm going to wait on buying that file. The intonation will most likely need to be adjusted. A tuner will definitely be helpful with that. There are free ones to download for smartphones and tables, if you don't have one. It's something anybody can easily do with a phillips screw driver and a tuner. Just google it. Didn't take me too long and the intonation is now perfect. So far, I don't see anything wrong with the guitar. Plays fine. After stretching the strings, it stays in tune just fine. The strings are new, so retuning is normal in the beginning, but the more you retune, the longer it'll stay in tune. I played it for an hour or so and it was still in tune after that. I bought it for a second guitar to play Rocksmith with and this fits the bill nicely. I haven't tried the amplifier. I've got a nice amplifier for my bass that works just fine, so I'll probably either sell (or give) this to my brother in-law or just put it on Craigslist for $20 (or $25, but let them talk me down to $20). So far, though, I'm happy with the guitar. If you look at the previous sales threads for these (if you can find them!), you'll notice that everybody that has wooted these has been satisfied. I am.

crackkitty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crackkitty

bought this last time around for my 10 yr old (xmas gift). He loves it. He's never played (nor have I). we're using the video and learning together.

one review mentioned that new strings need frequent retuning. i'm glad i read that, b/c it was getting frustrating! all good now, I'll tune a few more times and see how it goes.

otherwise, for this new guitar player, seems like a good deal...i'm happy/kid's happy, what else do you need? ;-)

fevans1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fevans1980

Bought myself the black one for Christmas. I've never tried playing before, so I wasn't going to drop a lot of money on one. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. It stays in tune for days, and the sound is good enough for me to tell whether I'm hitting the right chords or not. It did come with the strap, as well as the other items listed.

td7849

quality posts: 0 Private Messages td7849

As an owner of a 1997 evh wolfgang i just had to try this little peavy...the orange is cool ...i wanted a single coil /hb without tremolo bridge for tuning stability...this is a great gift for beginner or to mod or experiment on set up /intonation, truss rod adjustments for the tinkerer cannot go too wrong with basswood body maple neck and rosewood frets .low end asian product has supposedly improved due to computer milling of parts we shall see

mbabauer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbabauer
craigthom wrote:For that extra twenty bucks you also get

Stand
Tuner with Batteries
Spare Strings
Instructional DVD

The only thing worth your time is the stand. The tuner will be junk, trust me. Your better off getting a clip on tuner. I recently bought a bunch of Planet Waves NS Mini Headstock Tuners for like $12 or so each. Strings are cheap, unless you are buying coated or cobalts or something crazy like that, and if you are you are probably not interested in a $50 guitar. And I don't know anyone that has ever learned to shred by watching the free DVD lessons that came with their cheap guitar.

Don't get me wrong, I bought one of the lavenders for my daughter as a starter guitar. It's a great price for a guitar that you don't care if it gets bashed around. But, expensive equipment is expensive for a reason. So the $20 extra you are spending for sub-par extras might be better put towards better stuff you can use with your next guitar.

mbabauer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbabauer
breaddrink wrote:The specs read like an okay instrument.
I'm surprised to read it's a solid body guitar with a rosewood fingerboard.
Similarly priced intro guitars are nearly always pressed wood.
This is not the case here.

The price is a little puzzling. If I were to have to guess at how they did this, I'd say the hardware (machine heads, bridge, etc) and amp will be really really bad.

Not to say that you couldn't upgrade them, but, you generally get what you pay for.

Might be fun, but for me, fun is dangerous with instruments when it's cheap. Fun and cheap can mean difficult to play, and that can mean your kid will never get over the frustrating stumbling blocks of a guitar that cannot be played or sound at all how they want it to.
The guitar is tricky for this reason already. If you add an impossibly low quality instrument to the equation, it could be a real shame.

I'd be very very interested to hear if anyone has any experience with these models.

The only thing I can think of that would make it difficult to play would be the setup. The saddles look adjustable from the picture, and I don't think anyone makes a guitar that you can't adjust out the bend in the neck, at least enough to make it playable. I don't see someone playing this guitar for life, but as a starter instrument I have seen worse.

My opinion: buy this guitar if 1) you want something to start your kid off on, but don't want to drop several hundred on a guitar they may decide to never play again, 2) you want something to "play" with, including getting into custom modifications and painting, or 3) have $50-$100 lying around and just want to spend it on something. Do not buy this guitar if 1) you plan to use it to launch your rock career, 2) know you are going to be playing for a long time and just want something that will last you a long while, or 3) have perfect pitch and would be driven crazy by an instrument that was not intonated properly.

snakerjaker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snakerjaker

Bought the black one for my 10 year old cousin for a first guitar. When it showed up I couldn't resist playing, and was pleasantly surprised.
The whole guitar is a bit smaller then a Les Paul or strat, it fits my cousin much better than either of those. The Body is Basswood (IIRC) and both it and the neck feel solid and well made. The intonation and action both needed a little adjustment, which was no suprise considering the price point, but both can be easily fixed.
The Hardware is a little hit or miss. Tuners seemed fine, even as I brought it to my band's practice and "put it through it's paces". The Pickups have a clear tone, but are cheap, as would be expected from a starter guitar like this. The biggest complaint I had is actually that the way they designed the strap buttons wouldn't hold onto the strap itself, it kept jumping off! But that's a pretty quick easy fix.
The amp that came along with it is a total joke, probably best used as a paperweight. But that's about what I expected. The other extras all seemed to be fine, but nothing special.
All things considered, This is probably the best value for a starter guitar I've seen. I'm thinking about picking one up for myself for something to drop new pickups into and screwing around with.

siegan

quality posts: 3 Private Messages siegan

perfect for stage smashing!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
snakerjaker wrote:The amp that came along with it is a total joke, probably best used as a paperweight. But that's about what I expected. The other extras all seemed to be fine, but nothing special.

The amp does have a headphone jack, so it'd probably be useful for that.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

snakerjaker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snakerjaker
tljx wrote:Really wish the black came without the accessories and was priced the same as the orange.

this times 1000

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

Here is another option- not a guitarist, so I could't honestly tell you if it's better or not:

http://www.yugster.com/todays-deals/yours-until-gone

I bought the purple one here at woot for my 6 year old daughter for Christmas. It was purchased more as a toy than as a serious instrument- I figured if she shows some interest, I'll get her a small 1/2 size acoustic to learn on. I was surprised what $50 would buy. The amp and cord were totally cheap (but I expected that much, they were pretty much freebies and at least usable). The guitar seemed pretty decent, it felt good, the hardware looked decent for such a cheap buy.

Here is a youtube review of the rockmaster

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr
tljx wrote:Really wish the black came without the accessories and was priced the same as the orange.

Hell, I HATE cheap guitars but would buy the black one if it was without the accessories and cheaper. I'd just have someone famous sign it and hang it in my studio.

angnoah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angnoah

Does anyone know if this has a 1/4 inch amp jack? I want to buy this for my 12 year old. He has never played before but we just purchased the Xbox 360 game that teaches him how to play a real guitar. It is called Rocksmith. He needs to have a guitar with a 1/4 inch amp jack to use the game. Thanks for any help you can give me.

compdoc777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages compdoc777

All you need is to go to Radio Shack and they should have a conveter from standard to 1/4 in jack.

angnoah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angnoah
compdoc777 wrote:All you need is to go to Radio Shack and they should have a conveter from standard to 1/4 in jack.

Thanks so much. Do you think this would be an ok starter guitar? I just can't decide!

englishchannel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages englishchannel

Looks like the $49 purple one is gone.

I'm glad I already got mine. I bought 2 of these. That one and the orange retro fire. Nice entry level guitars. I've been having alot of fun tweaking mine and seeing what kind of tone I can get.

Here is a video I found on the Orange Retro Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQnVWN0163M

Not the best musician, but you can see that the guitar is playable. That black one is still tempting me.

englishchannel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages englishchannel

Here is another video of someone who knows how to play pretty well. He is playing one of the current Peavy Rockmaster models- in super hero fashion. This one is only 3/4 size. Similar to the purple one that was offered, but smaller.

Enjoy this one!

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 45 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
angnoah wrote:Does anyone know if this has a 1/4 inch amp jack? I want to buy this for my 12 year old. He has never played before but we just purchased the Xbox 360 game that teaches him how to play a real guitar. It is called Rocksmith. He needs to have a guitar with a 1/4 inch amp jack to use the game. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Yes, these have 1/4 inch jacks. I could be wrong, but I think all guitars do. I also have Rocksmith and I bought the orange guitar and it works great for the game. Remember, though, you'll probably need to adjust the intonation of the guitar, which is easy enough with a phillips screwdriver and instructions can be found online. You'll probably want an electronic tuner for that. Yes, Rocksmith has a tuner built in, but it's really only for the open strings and it won't tell you if the fretted note is sharp or flat, so you won't know which way to adjust it.

reanimationxp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reanimationxp
englishchannel wrote:Here is another video of someone who knows how to play pretty well. He is playing one of the current Peavy Rockmaster models- in super hero fashion. This one is only 3/4 size. Similar to the purple one that was offered, but smaller.

Enjoy this one!

Worth noting that he has a separate video detailing how he modded this "toy" to make it "playable".

td7849

quality posts: 0 Private Messages td7849
td7849 wrote:

i got the guitar in two days and was impressed with the fit and finish,,action good smooth straight neck...no fret buzz...pick ups ok tuners ok very playable after tuning cleaned fret board and strings and may get fret file to refine edges little amp works ok too...i am satisfied and a one year warranty thru Peavy for 84$ is a steal

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx

Got this Friday. There was some fret buzz on the lower two strings when strumming with no frets pressed down. I adjusted the action higher on those two strings and they no longer buzz except when the second or third fret is pressed. Any suggestions?