Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

mykie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mykie

No HDMI? Are these monitors from 2006?

jamieinoc

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc

The 23" model goes for $129.99 new on Amazon, and has 4 star reviews.

The 21.5" (22") model goes for $159 new on Amazon and has 4.5 star reviews.

All in all, it looks like a better deal on the 21.5" than the 23" based on current market prices. It's not as much of a discount as you'd expect with a refurb unit, but there it is.

jamieinoc

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc

Since it's a little known brand, here also is the link to AOC's website.

giant68

quality posts: 2 Private Messages giant68

I bought one of these at work and after opening the box, I am returning it.

The monitor case and frame is so thin and "flimsy" that when you try to adjust the angle of tilt, the case distorts. The "post" between the base and the monitor presses outwards against the LCD screen so much so it seems about to break thru the screen.

Seems like a nice monitor but way too flimsy for me.

It's tough being a tall guy in an average guys' world.

KingAdrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KingAdrock
mykie wrote:No HDMI? Are these monitors from 2006?

Waay older than that, considering the fact it has VGA.

'Cause nothing's better than taking a digital signal from your computer, converting it to analog just so it can travel through a cord, then converting BACK to digital to display it on a digital screen.

tervanun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tervanun

They may feel and look flimsy but thats what comes with getting such a thin screen at this low of cost. I find them nice for occasionally needing to travel with it because they are so light and compact. I already had a 20", and got the 22 as a secondary. Nice colors. Look nice and simple on a desk.

yuppicide

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yuppicide

PURE GARBAGE! I'll never buy another AOC.

I bought a 23" a few years back. I used it on VGA cable just fine. About 6 months or 8 months later I got a nice video card that only had DVI. Turns out DVI on the monitor never worked!

Picture quality was okay, but a little blurry in spots.

nordschleife

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nordschleife

I don't know what all the complaining is about. I've had two of these 23" models for over 2 years now, one of them refurbished. Yes, they are flimsy. How often would you move them around? The tilt is adjusted by pushing the post itself, and the form factor maximizes desk space. Distortion? Using VGA, of course, DVI I've had none. The color temperature is even consistent between them. I would get a third if I had the desk width for it.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

I don't believe these have VESA mounts which is a deal killer to me. Monitors can last a long time and over more than one computer and set-up. So that flexibility is a priority to me.

Also don't think these can rotate into portrait position so multi-monitor set-ups would be limited.

elowantstosay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elowantstosay

I got this two years ago, and I love mine. Color and resolution has been great. I don't have HDMI on my laptop only VGA, and my laptops not that old. Yeah, it can be flimsy.. but honestly this thing is durable as hell. I've actually dropped it a few times and it hasn't damaged it one bit. Two years going on three years and still good as new! Getting one for my mom!

calicojack42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages calicojack42

I picked up two of these last time they were up for sale on Woot, and I have to say, they've been great.

Very fast response times while gaming, great color, and deep blacks. I love 'em.

hamjudo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo

The monitors have DVI-D connectors. Adapters for DVI-D to HDMI are under $2 each.

The connectors are awkwardly placed on the base, so it does need you'll need an extra couple of inches of desk space behind the base for the adapter plus HDMI cable.

hamjudo

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hamjudo
alextse wrote:I don't believe these have VESA mounts which is a deal killer to me. Monitors can last a long time and over more than one computer and set-up. So that flexibility is a priority to me.

Also don't think these can rotate into portrait position so multi-monitor set-ups would be limited.

The VESA mount is in the base. If used, the center of the display would be about a foot above the center of the VESA mount.

In portrait mode, the base would be a foot to side of the display. This would almost certainly not be practical, except for those who have a shop handy for building custom VESA mounting brackets.

philmills

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philmills

Addressing some common questions, since my office now has 3 of these:

1) No HDMI - Correct, but the difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI carries audio. Since this monitor has no speakers: big furry deal.

2) VESA mount?
Yes, there IS a VESA mount on the bottom of the base (fold the base flat against the monitor), but it is pretty much useless because
(a) The neck on the monitor isn't incredibly sturdy so you've got a good bit of wobble
(b) It's about 10" too low to be of any use with most stands/arms since it's right at the BASE of the monitor instead of dead center.

3) It's thin and has some flex
Yes, it's thin. That's why you're buying it, dummy. Yes, there's some flex but unless you're a compulsive monitor adjuster it's just not that big of a deal.

4) VGA???
Yes, and it looks just fine at full resolution if your video card isn't garbage. I use both inputs on mine as a poor-man's KVM at work. No problem.

All three of the ones we got through Woot work great and have much better color than I'd have expected. A+, would woot again except I'm out of desk space.

ShyGuy91284

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ShyGuy91284

I got a couple of these from Woot a while ago. All in all, worth 200 if you want some slim monitors. however, as others have said, flimsy base that feels like you could easily break while adjusting it, but it does the job. The DVI port also needs the cable screwed in tight to work, which is why I think I've read of a couple people saying the port didn't work.

Sakusami

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sakusami

These are probably really good monitors. I haven't heard too much against AOC. Personally, I prefer to buy Samsung or Asus monitors. What really made be say no to these was the lack of an HDMI port. If they had that, I would highly consider picking up two 23" for the price.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
Sakusami wrote:.... What really made be say no to these was the lack of an HDMI port. If they had that, I would highly consider picking up two 23" for the price.

You may have missed this in a previous comment:

philmills wrote:Addressing some common questions, since my office now has 3 of these:...

1) No HDMI - Correct, but the difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI carries audio. Since this monitor has no speakers: big furry deal.

Just to save everybody looking -- "furry" was not a Woot filter.

BTW, just picked up 2 of the smaller ones, one for me and one for my mama. Thank you to all the people who already own these who took the trouble to post your reviews.

aojle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle

I bought a "famous maker" monitor just because it didn't have speakers. I'd rather have no speakers then those little things that come built into monitors.

No speakers should mean no HDMI, however, the famous maker monitor has HDMI and DVI, beats me why both. So then I plugged in my flip camera, guess what, no sound, oops. So what I'd really like is HDMI input with analog audio out (no speakers). Unfortunately, there is no such thing.

junyo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages junyo

The monitors are super light because they have a lot of the functional components in the base - which is also the reason for the base being non-detachable and being where the VESA mount is.

Having bought a refurb 20" on Woot a couple of months ago, I just popped for another new a couple of weeks ago to run dual screens. It's bright and accurate at 1600x900 and seems to hold color calibration pretty well. The apparent flimsiness is disconcerting at first, but it's really only an issue when you move them around. An undocumented feature of the panel-on-a-stalk design is a greater range of motion w/o a monitor arm. I can tilt the monitor almost parallel to my desk top, which is convenient since I like to work standing sometimes.

llseenm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llseenm
alextse wrote:I don't believe these have VESA mounts which is a deal killer to me. Monitors can last a long time and over more than one computer and set-up. So that flexibility is a priority to me.

The VESA mounts are on the base You have to fold the base up against the back of the monitor. It is possible but clunky. I looked at these before, and the clunky VESA mounting made me decide against buying.

As for quality, I have had several AOC monitors over the years, and they are fine. I have an old 17" model that is at least 8 years old and still works. And, I have an AOC TV in my bedroom. No complaints from me on screen quality.

tkrueger15

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tkrueger15

In the product description, is says that the base can double as a wall mount? But no mounting hardware?

So this means that the stand and rotate 90 degrees back to attach to the wall? Are there screw holes to do this in the base? Is this an easy process?

Thanks!

acavella

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acavella

Just purchased two of the 22" models. Based on my desk space and the better price point on the 22" it just seemed like the right move. I have been looking for the last few months for a cheap pair of monitors for home.