sdc100

quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
lakshmanbe wrote:All negative reviews in Amazon. Average rating is 1.5 out of 5

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Factory-Refurbished-BD-EM57C-Player/product-reviews/B007X4KAF6

The latest Firmware Update is dated Oct 16, 2012 so many of the negative Amazon reviews may no longer be valid. Of the 15 Amazon reviews, only 3 were posted in November, and even those users might not have upgraded their firmware yet. Then again, I have no knowledge of whether the latest firmware addressed the complaints of users. Regardless, the complaints seem to be focused on the apps and hub features, and not its functionality as a Blu-Ray player. As such, this is a great price for a brand name Blu-Ray player. Just consider all the other features as frills. The fact that there is such a recent upgrade means that Samsung is actively supporting the item, which suggests that updated apps are likely too.

Bluepeapod

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Bluepeapod

Got this on a previous Woot! and was a Christmas gift for the hubby. I don't know what features must be out there in Blu-ray players, but this one seems to suit us just fine. I didn't even realize the added bonus that came with the fact that we happen to also have a Samsung TV - so the remote works both the player and the TV which I just find handy. But it plays well, has some basic apps which are fun to tinker with (cause let's face it - I have wi-fi in the living room and an iPhone - what the heck does my dvd player need apps for??). I think I got it for much more $$ on a previous woot, so, $45 is a real STEAL here.

mike11212

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mike11212

Best buy has the 3D version of this blu ray player for 15 dollars more or 10 dollars more if you factor in the 5 dollar shipping woot charges.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Refurbished+Smart+3D+Wi-Fi+Ready+Blu-ray+Player/7343206.p?id=1218840469547&skuId=7343206&st=blu-ray%20player%20wifi&cp=1&lp=13

I woot you

thomasr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasr
mike11212 wrote:Best buy has the 3D version of this blu ray player for 15 dollars more or 10 dollars more if you factor in the 5 dollar shipping woot charges.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Refurbished+Smart+3D+Wi-Fi+Ready+Blu-ray+Player/7343206.p?id=1218840469547&skuId=7343206&st=blu-ray%20player%20wifi&cp=1&lp=13

Not the same as it does not actually have WI-FI it simply is capable of being upgraded to WI-FI. That is a huge difference given the cost of adding the WI-FI dongle.

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog
sdc100 wrote:I believe all HDTVs support 1080i. It uses roughly the same bandwidth as 720p so any TV that can display 720p will also support 1080i. It's 1080p (progressive scan) that's only in larger and more expensive TVs. All TV broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p. The only 1080p source currently available are Blu-Rays and video games.

And pay movies on Direct TV ;^)>>

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

lynx3058

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynx3058

I would be careful of Samsung refurbished Blue ray players. I ordered 3 BD-5700s from Woot last month and 2 of them were defective.

rachelade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelade
sdc100 wrote:I believe all HDTVs support 1080i. It uses roughly the same bandwidth as 720p so any TV that can display 720p will also support 1080i. It's 1080p (progressive scan) that's only in larger and more expensive TVs. All TV broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p. The only 1080p source currently available are Blu-Rays and video games.

SDC, I am not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. However, I will tell you that I know that this will fix the problem because I had the exact same issue that Shadow Zero had. But instead of just living with it I researched it online and then also sent an email to Samsung. My reply was a synopsis of Samsung's reply that also matched what my research revealed.

rachelade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelade
mike11212 wrote:Best buy has the 3D version of this blu ray player for 15 dollars more or 10 dollars more if you factor in the 5 dollar shipping woot charges.

That is great if you have a 3D TV and also have a Wi-Fi Dongle. Otherwise the 3D will do you no good and the Wi-Fi dongle is going to add to your cost and frustration.

spatulachic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spatulachic

I'm actually considering this so that we can watch our Blu-Rays upstairs. We have a Roku upstairs for Netflix and Amazon streaming (I'm a Prime member), and we stream Netflix, Amazon, and DLNA through Serviio on the downstairs Blu-Ray player.

So the only thing we'd use the Wi-fi for is to stream via Serviio (we have tried using Plex Server on the Roku upstairs, but it's extremely clunky and doesn't stream well). Anyone have experience with Serviio and this player? The price is extremely compelling.

cplaw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cplaw

Actually, not true. A lot of hdtv flat screens at the low end suport 720 p. only, not 1080i. I have two of them myself.

brewmaster3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brewmaster3000
gkferguson wrote:So where will I buy a decent player for $25 plus shipping, which is $20 less than this offer? Looking around online and locally, it seems like there's not much under $50.

For a very basic DVD player the kid in electronics at Target highly recommended their cheapest offering, indicating it's what he has used for over a year.
http://m.target.com/p/memorex-2-channel-progressive-scan-dvd-player-pink-mvd2016pnk/-/A-14228919
Indicated it can be had for $25 on sale. Appears to be in store only.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
brewmaster3000 wrote:For a very basic DVD player the kid in electronics at Target highly recommended their cheapest offering, indicating it's what he has used for over a year.
http://m.target.com/p/memorex-2-channel-progressive-scan-dvd-player-pink-mvd2016pnk/-/A-14228919
Indicated it can be had for $25 on sale. Appears to be in store only.

That's a DVD player, not a Blu-ray player.

sdc100

quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
cplaw wrote:Actually, not true. A lot of hdtv flat screens at the low end suport 720 p. only, not 1080i. I have two of them myself.

Are you sure? We have a cheap HDTV that is advertised as 720p but handles 1080i just fine. Try sending the TV a 1080i signal and see if you can see a picture. Time Warner's cable box, for example, allows you to choose between 480, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Even though the TV is advertised as 720p, it can show everything except 1080p. Selecting 1080p gives a blank screen. I've even verified that the signal is 1080i by pressing the Info button.

If your TV can only handle 720p, how does it display off-the-air HD broadcasts from NBC and CBS? Those two stations broadcast in 1080i whereas Fox and ABC uses 720p. Try tuning CBS or NBC in and then press your TV's Info button and see if the picture is in 1080i. If yes, then your TV can handle 1080i even though it's labeled 720p.

Kosay1991

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kosay1991
sdc100 wrote:Are you sure? We have a cheap HDTV that is advertised as 720p but handles 1080i just fine. Try sending the TV a 1080i signal and see if you can see a picture. Time Warner's cable box, for example, allows you to choose between 480, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Even though the TV is advertised as 720p, it can show everything except 1080p. Selecting 1080p gives a blank screen. I've even verified that the signal is 1080i by pressing the Info button.

If your TV can only handle 720p, how does it display off-the-air HD broadcasts from NBC and CBS? Those two stations broadcast in 1080i whereas Fox and ABC uses 720p. Try tuning CBS or NBC in and then press your TV's Info button and see if the picture is in 1080i. If yes, then your TV can handle 1080i even though it's labeled 720p.

you will see something it will just look elongated and wierd as hell ive tried it on my ps3 on a 720p lcd

K.A.G

wolfy001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfy001

Is anyone else having issues with their player? When I turn mine on it goes to the Blu-Ray start-up screen for a few seconds, then the screen goes black and my TV says "invalid format". I can't adjust any of the settings or do an update because the screen is black.

I have a somewhat-older model LG LCD flat screen, 720p. However, the manual says the Blu-ray should automatically adjust to the highest resolution on my TV, so I'm not sure what is going on.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

wolfy001 wrote:Is anyone else having issues with their player? When I turn mine on it goes to the Blu-Ray start-up screen for a few seconds, then the screen goes black and my TV says "invalid format". I can't adjust any of the settings or do an update because the screen is black.

I have a somewhat-older model LG LCD flat screen, 720p. However, the manual says the Blu-ray should automatically adjust to the highest resolution on my TV, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Sorry for the late reply and to hear that you experiencing issues with your order. We recommend that you contact Samsung Support to see if they can help remedy the situation.

If you are still experiencing issues after contacting them, please feel free to email Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

wolfy001

I'm talking to Samsung right now. It sounds like I have to send my player to Samsung for repair. They were initially going to charge me for shipping it back to them, but they are now supposedly not going to charge me (only after I complained).

Really regretting this purchase right now, lots of wasted time tonight.

ROGETRAY wrote:Sorry for the late reply and to hear that you experiencing issues with your order. We recommend that you contact Samsung Support to see if they can help remedy the situation.

If you are still experiencing issues after contacting them, please feel free to email Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

wolfy001

And, for the record, I tried a hard reset of the player in case it was configured for a different TV, and I couldn't even do that. It looks like I got a defective player.

At least Samsung sent me a free shipping label for repair. Of course I had to sit on hold for an hour, but who is counting at this point?

wolfy001 wrote:I'm talking to Samsung right now. It sounds like I have to send my player to Samsung for repair. They were initially going to charge me for shipping it back to them, but they are now supposedly not going to charge me (only after I complained).

Really regretting this purchase right now, lots of wasted time tonight.

ROGETRAY

Staff

wolfy001 wrote:And, for the record, I tried a hard reset of the player in case it was configured for a different TV, and I couldn't even do that. It looks like I got a defective player.

At least Samsung sent me a free shipping label for repair. Of course I had to sit on hold for an hour, but who is counting at this point?

Again, I'm very sorry to hear you had issues with your order. I understand how frustrating it can be when something you buy doesn't work properly.

Please let us know if Samsung is unable to help you or if you incur any further issues.

slickvicpxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slickvicpxx
turtlegir1 wrote:Anybody know if this Wi-Fi with apps includes the Amazon instant video player? For either model?

I don't think it matters what Samsun model you get, it's not going to support Amazon Prime. As I was looking for the app. The search field let me know that "Amazon" was the number one search in the Samsun app. store, and low and behold, no Amazon, just a movie from 1984. I don't think Apple TV supports Amazon either; they must be a big competitor for selling media.

Victor Pxx

slickvicpxx

craigthom wrote:That's a DVD player, not a Blu-ray player.

There are two other problems with it, it doesn't have network capabilities, and it's pink.

Victor Pxx

slickvicpxx

Just got mine, it functions, but the processor is super slow, and Samsung doesn't have an app. for Amazon Prime. I was going to call them about it, but I remembered the last time I called them; anyone there who answers the phones is not going to have any influence over what apps Samsung develops. They probably have a good reason for not supporting Amazon, it's called competition.

Victor Pxx

slickvicpxx

Guess I was wrong, just read an article dated Oct. 24th "Today Samsung announced that the popular video service is available for immediate, free download to all 2012 Samsung Smart TVs. The Amazon Instant catalog includes more than 140,000 movies and commercial-free TV shows at a la carte pricing. The app on Samsung TVs also allows access to the more than 30,000 titles available for free to Prime members.
A Samsung rep told CNET that the app will not be made available to 2011 Samsung Smart TVs at this time, but couldn't say whether that would change. The company also didn't specify whether the app would be coming to its Blu-ray players or other home theater devices."

Victor Pxx

7wootboy45

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 7wootboy45

Do not buy one of these.

These are not refurbished. Refurbished means put into working order. Mine doesn't work. It was repackaged.

It constantly wants to upgrade, upgrades via the internet, then announces it can't link to the internet. I have been unable to run one single app.

Woot has no business selling crap like this as "refurbished". It doesn't work; it wasn't refurbished. It was repackaged. To be sold to another rube. I'll package it back up, send it back to Woot ON MY DIME and they'll sell it another rube just like me who thought Woot was in the business of providing bargains not rip-offs.

Thanks for wasting my time and money, Woot.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
7wootboy45 wrote:Do not buy one of these.

These are not refurbished. Refurbished means put into working order. Mine doesn't work. It was repackaged.

It constantly wants to upgrade, upgrades via the internet, then announces it can't link to the internet. I have been unable to run one single app.

Woot has no business selling crap like this as "refurbished". It doesn't work; it wasn't refurbished. It was repackaged. To be sold to another rube. I'll package it back up, send it back to Woot ON MY DIME and they'll sell it another rube just like me who thought Woot was in the business of providing bargains not rip-offs.

Thanks for wasting my time and money, Woot.

Hi there,
Sorry to hear things aren't working for you. Have you contacted Samsung for a replacement?

If you continue to have problems, please contact support@woot.com for options.

I'm just hanging out, really.

7wootboy45

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 7wootboy45
inkycatz wrote:Hi there,
Sorry to hear things aren't working for you. Have you contacted Samsung for a replacement?

If you continue to have problems, please contact support@woot.com for options.

While I appreciate your quick and concerned response, let me respond.

1. Many buyers are paying out of pocket to return their non-working "refurbished" item to Samsung.

2. Their non-working "refurbished" item will be repaired (or perhaps replaced) who knows when.

3. I was able to return my non-working "refurbished" player to woot via the USPS pick-up outside of my residence. Home pickup is not an option for a lot of people.

4. I was so upset about having to repack and return the "refurbished" item that arrived to my house in non-working order, that I forgot to remove my Bluray copy of Goodfellas inside of it. Is that my fault? You bet. And I had to pay $10 to replace the disc. To avoid making compounded mistakes in the future, I will stop doing what contributed to my leaving the disc in the player. I won't be ordering anymore non-working "refurbished" electronics from Woot. I'm done buying broken crap.

Sorry I flared. It's just that I hadn't watched the part where DeNiro says "a little bit, little bit".

MKstang90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MKstang90

Got it and Samsung apps don't work either. Now I have a lemon. Woot should pay for return shipping of broken crap that they sell.

ROGETRAY

Staff

MKstang90 wrote:Got it and Samsung apps don't work either. Now I have a lemon. Woot should pay for return shipping of broken crap that they sell.

Have you tried contacting Samsung Support to see if they can remedy the situation?

If Samsung is reluctant or unable to assist you, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to help you out.

MKstang90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MKstang90
ROGETRAY wrote:Have you tried contacting Samsung Support to see if they can remedy the situation?

If Samsung is reluctant or unable to assist you, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to help you out.

Not sure I want to spend hours on the phone with Samsung customer service. (Waist of time) I wish I just got a working item. How would you feel if you bought something that didn't work right out of the box?

ROGETRAY

Staff

MKstang90 wrote:Not sure I want to spend hours on the phone with Samsung customer service. (Waist of time) I wish I just got a working item. How would you feel if you bought something that didn't work right out of the box?

I understand the frustration of receiving a defective unit. I'm sure that Samsung Support is quite quick and efficient at helping resolve issues such as you have encountered.

As I suggested earlier, if they prove unhelpful or you wish you speak to Woot Member Services, please feel free to email them support@woot.com and I'm sure they'll be able to answer any questions or concerns you may have about your order.

cma371

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cma371

Also got a defective unit. Woot needs to do a better job.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cma371 wrote:Also got a defective unit. Woot needs to do a better job.

Apparently, so does the company doing the refurbishing. Sorry for the problems. As mentioned above, email support@woot.com for assistance. Please include your woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items