WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Linksys Dual-Band N Bridge

Speed to First Woot:
1m 11.115s
First Sucker:
OiXYZ
Last Wooter to Woot:
beverlymahony
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 3% of Sellout Woots
Top 21% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 8% of Sellout Woots
Top 5% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 7% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 23% < 10 woots
  • 24% < 25 woots
  • 42% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 5% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 10% one year old
  • 84% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 67% bought 1
  • 17% bought 2
  • 16% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

20%
12%
6%
4%
4%
6%
11%
18%
19%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


jimmymio


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmymio

I bought one 2 years ago for $90 and I've been using it in my home for a wifi range extender. Very happy with it and a steal at this price.

11jbmorl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages 11jbmorl

Linksys/Cisco has a nice arrangement. You'll be happy with the way these buggers hold up year over year.

----
Woots to date: iRobot Roomba 530; Vortex Blenders; Omron Full-Body Scale; Maximo iM-490 Headphones; Philips Webcams (two pack).

jamieinoc


quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc

coldcaffeine


quality posts: 1 Private Messages coldcaffeine

I have two WES610N units, the big brother of this one. Had them for a while now and very happy. This is a good deal.

Evindavid


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Evindavid

These are also used for AT&T Uverse...for the wireless boxes

ingwaz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ingwaz

jamieinoc


quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc
ingwaz wrote:I think you mean 3.5 stars



Indeed.

ingwaz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ingwaz

was going to buy one, but thought about why I might need it first. My desktop has a wired connection, I rarely play games online on my 360 and the only time I really use my laptop is when I'm at college, so, this doesnt really serve much purpose for me and I'll suppose I'll have to pass on it, despite it being a good deal.

Samus


quality posts: 20 Private Messages Samus
blanked wrote:And newegg:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-124-338&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

20% one stars, complaining of drops and just not talking to same brand devices if encrypted.



I read some of those reviews, and they just sound like the people don't know how to/haven't set them up properly.

These are actually pretty difficult to setup.

I've setup a few for UVERSE and you have to make sure (in the case of UVERSE) they are set to WPA2-TKIP, not WPA/WPA2 or WPA2-AES+TKIP.

You have to specify exactly what the router is running. If you try to go for a 'universal' approach, it will constantly drop.

Once its set right, it works forever.

However, it isn't very fast. Mine only get 72mbps which in the real world is about 2MB/second. I setup someone else's and they get 112mbps which is around 4MB/second file transfer.

EDIT: I want to add that I still think this is a steal for $20. I ordered 3.

raylotekka


quality posts: 1 Private Messages raylotekka

I won't even pretend to know what this thing does, although I have a grasp of its most basic concept i.e., 'it connects stuff'.

Would some kind soul or wise Wooter offer me a more precise insight into just what connectivity needs are filled by an entertainment bridge?

pilotwillie


quality posts: 18 Private Messages pilotwillie

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but personally I'll never buy another Cisco/Linksys item. I remember way back when Linksys was pretty much the best wireless gear around, my old wireless b router lasted forever. When I finally broke down and upgraded it was for a "Linksys by Cisco" G device. On the job all we use is Cisco and I've had a great track record with them so I figured it would be worth it. Long story short, that AP was replaced 3 times (only twice under warranty) and the replacement N AP I decided to get as a last chance had severe overheating issues resulting in having to be powercycled every few days. My free Netgear replacement has held up perfectly for 2 years since.


raylotekka wrote:I won't even pretend to know what this thing does, although I have a grasp of its most basic concept i.e., 'it connects stuff'.

Would some kind soul or wise Wooter offer me a more precise insight into just what connectivity needs are filled by an entertainment bridge?



Easiest usage scenario:
You have a home wireless network, but you have a device without wireless capability (either no wireless whatsoever, weak signal, or flaky antenna resulting in constant drops, etc.). You get the bridge to connect to the wireless, then connect via ethernet cable to said device.

sulakdd


quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd
jimmymio wrote:I bought one 2 years ago for $90 and I've been using it in my home for a wifi range extender. Very happy with it and a steal at this price.



I guess I don't understand what this thing can do - what do you mean when you say you use it as a range extender? It can receive a wifi singal and allow a device to connect if the device is plugged in to it. But can it also retransmit the wifi singal to extend the range of an existing router?

My router is in my living room, and I have a spare PS3 in a bedroom. The PS3 can barely pick up the wifi signal from the living room. So this device would only be useful for my situation if it could be placed midway between the living room and bedroom and retransmit (extend) the range of the living room wifi. Is that how you are using it?

marknixon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages marknixon

A "wifi range extender"? I like the sound of that. How do I do that? Pretty simple?

pilotwillie


quality posts: 18 Private Messages pilotwillie
Samus wrote:
However, it isn't very fast. Mine only get 72mbps which in the real world is about 2MB/second. I setup someone else's and they get 112mbps which is around 4MB/second file transfer.



Not sure how you're coming up with those numbers, but 72Mbps=9MBps and 112=14.

cowboyesfan


quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

Only one Ethernet port? It would have cost them 1¢ to add in three or four.

CharlesP2009


quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

For some reason I see these fairly often at Goodwill. I guess lots of people buy them accidentally when they're after a router and just drop them off in donation bins. Anyway, they generally sell for $1.99 or $2.99 at Goodwill so I've made a few bucks flipping them on Amazon and eBay. :-)

gantt


quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt

bhiga


quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga

This is a great bridge, I have two.
Depending on your conditions and type of traffic it may or may not be faster than AV-class powerline networking.

I'm getting 8 MB/sec sustained for large (2+ GB) files (takes a bit to ramp up) across the room (about 10 feet and through a TV).

It's a bridge, not a router or switch (though you can connect it to a switch for more than one client).

In fact, the machine I'm on now is connecting through one.

It gets its own IP for the web configuration, so it's easy to check on after initial setup.

Quite the steal for $20.

ussygussy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ussygussy
jimmymio wrote:I bought one 2 years ago for $90 and I've been using it in my home for a wifi range extender. Very happy with it and a steal at this price.



So happy to hear that! I didn't look it up when I saw it. I thought it was a wireless extender and not an adapter. Good to know that it can be used for both.

ussygussy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ussygussy
sulakdd wrote:I guess I don't understand what this thing can do - what do you mean when you say you use it as a range extender? It can receive a wifi singal and allow a device to connect if the device is plugged in to it. But can it also retransmit the wifi singal to extend the range of an existing router?

My router is in my living room, and I have a spare PS3 in a bedroom. The PS3 can barely pick up the wifi signal from the living room. So this device would only be useful for my situation if it could be placed midway between the living room and bedroom and retransmit (extend) the range of the living room wifi. Is that how you are using it?



To use it as a wifi extender, it needs a physical connection FROM your router. It will then broadcast the same wifi signal that your router is using. Imagine this device as a "second wireless router"

The farther you can get this away from the original router, the
larger the wifi signal will be.

In your case, you will plug your PS3 via ethernet into this device and move the Bridge to a better location. It will then connect to your router via wirelessly.

bhiga


quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
ussygussy wrote:So happy to hear that! I didn't look it up when I saw it. I thought it was a wireless extender and not an adapter. Good to know that it can be used for both.


I just checked mine to make sure.
It is *NOT* an access point, it only functions as a wireless client.
So unless there's some hacked or third party firmware for it that adds AP ability, it is not a wireless range extender in the common sense (wired connection to a distant AP to extend wireless coverage).

I'm on firmware Ver.1.0.05 (Build 4) from 08/12/2011 which is the newest on the Cisco/Linksys site.

ussygussy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ussygussy
bhiga wrote:This is a great bridge, I have two.
Depending on your conditions and type of traffic it may or may not be faster than AV-class powerline networking.

I'm getting 8 MB/sec sustained for large (2+ GB) files (takes a bit to ramp up) across the room (about 10 feet and through a TV).

It's a bridge, not a router or switch (though you can connect it to a switch for more than one client).

In fact, the machine I'm on now is connecting through one.

It gets its own IP for the web configuration, so it's easy to check on after initial setup.

Quite the steal for $20.



I have a Cisco E4200 upstairs plugged into my structured wiring closet. I have a few ethernet ports downstairs and will plug this bridge into it. I'm gonna have a nice, fast wifi network both upstairs and downstairs.

If I couldn't use this as an extender, I was going to plug my Cisco SE2800 into the bridge and get interwebs to my AV gear.

ussygussy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ussygussy
bhiga wrote:I just checked mine to make sure.
It is *NOT* an access point, it only functions as a wireless client.
So unless there's some hacked or third party firmware for it that adds AP ability, it is not a wireless range extender in the common sense (wired connection to a distant AP to extend wireless coverage).

I'm on firmware Ver.1.0.05 (Build 4) from 08/12/2011 which is the newest on the Cisco/Linksys site.



Well, poo. Guess I'll have to find another use for it.

bhiga


quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
ussygussy wrote:If I couldn't use this as an extender, I was going to plug my Cisco SE2800 into the bridge and get interwebs to my AV gear.


That'll work fine, but keep in mind that the Ethernet port on the bridge is only 10/100, so if you have bandwidth-hungry devices you might consider getting more than one bridge, which is quite feasible at this price.

OiXYZ


quality posts: 3 Private Messages OiXYZ

I am starting to wonder if I screwed up by purchasing this. I thought I was buying a router, this doesn't function that way does it?

GREAT.

ussygussy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ussygussy
OiXYZ wrote:I am starting to wonder if I screwed up by purchasing this. I thought I was buying a router, this doesn't function that way does it?

GREAT.



No, this is not a router at all. Cancel your order right meow.

scottman54


quality posts: 35 Private Messages scottman54

Now you're talking woot. Finally a deal almost worthy of the woot of old. Half the price of anywhere else or competitive products, and NEW not refurb.

For those who don't know, this can be used to convert most wired items to connect to your wireless networks. e.g. a wired only bluray player or TV with apps can plug into this and it will be on your network. Basically creates the wireless "bridge" between your wired item and your router.

Other uses are older fat xbox 360s without wireless built-in, cctv surveillance systems, wired network printers,... almost any wired network device.

ussygussy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ussygussy
bhiga wrote:That'll work fine, but keep in mind that the Ethernet port on the bridge is only 10/100, so if you have bandwidth-hungry devices you might consider getting more than one bridge, which is quite feasible at this price.



Well, I can run cat6 to my S2800 so I can get the gbps, and I also just bought a real wireless ap extender.

Cisco RE1000 (refurb)

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Refurbished-RE1000-Wireless-N-Extender/dp/B0077BB3VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356596140&sr=8-1&keywords=re1000

Only 40 bucks. We shall see how well it works.

I'll think of another use for the bridge or maybe just cancel my order...

halnwheels


quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

If you have a "wireless ready" device and the dongle is no longer available and they want 90 bucks for it anyway... this gets you there.


joellg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joellg

So, if my router is upstairs, but I have a printer downstairs that isn't wireless (wired only), this would enable said printer to be on my wireless system to print from anywhere?

suttonabc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suttonabc

I need a SIMPLE answer.
So....I'm so confused. . I have ONE desktop that is an ancient (but loved,) original eMac, (like 12 years old now?) hooked to the Cisco Linksys Router (N?) at the end if the house, in the office. Everything else we own is portable (laptop, iPad, iTouch,) so no need to chain them down to a wired thing, but the bedroom is at the direct opposite end of the house, so USING the iPad or laptop in here makes it on the weakest bar 1/3 on my iPad,) and watching a YouTube video, (or ANYTHING "streaming") is practically impossible without going to another room, or using an app to download it all the way first, and play it back later, (which may take a few hours for a 15-20 minute craft video, etc.). If you have a router hooked to a computer, then is this (or ANYTHING OUT THERE,) capable of being plugged into just a power outlet in another room, and making the router signal stronger for WIRELESS things in those rooms, or would it have to be wired to the original router or device that isn't wireless to use it?
Maybe my Internet just is too low of "high speed" to reach or "stream" ?
I'm terrible with technical stuff.

scottman54


quality posts: 35 Private Messages scottman54
joellg wrote:So, if my router is upstairs, but I have a printer downstairs that isn't wireless (wired only), this would enable said printer to be on my wireless system to print from anywhere?



If by wired, you mean network cable wired, and not just usb or something else that only connects directly to a computer, then yes, your printer can get on your network with this, but you would still need to set up this device for your network and find the printer on your network from your other devices.

Luni420


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Luni420
suttonabc wrote:I need a SIMPLE answer.
So....I'm so confused. . I have ONE desktop that is an ancient (but loved,) original eMac, (like 12 years old now?) hooked to the Cisco Linksys Router (N?) at the end if the house, in the office. Everything else we own is portable (laptop, iPad, iTouch,) so no need to chain them down to a wired thing, but the bedroom is at the direct opposite end of the house, so USING the iPad or laptop in here makes it on the weakest bar 1/3 on my iPad,) and watching a YouTube video, (or ANYTHING "streaming") is practically impossible without going to another room, or using an app to download it all the way first, and play it back later, (which may take a few hours for a 15-20 minute craft video, etc.). If you have a router hooked to a computer, then is this (or ANYTHING OUT THERE,) capable of being plugged into just a power outlet in another room, and making the router signal stronger for WIRELESS things in those rooms, or would it have to be wired to the original router or device that isn't wireless to use it?
Maybe my Internet just is too low of "high speed" to reach or "stream" ?
I'm terrible with technical stuff.




This wouldnt work as a signal extender for you per se, however in your case you COULD use this device to better your own situation. The idea is, if you can move closer to the router and have better streaming performance, then your internet is fine for what youre doing, your router just isnt strong enough to get the signal to your house.

If the old eMac is the only device that you need to be connected via ethernet, why not simply move your internet modem and router into a different room of the house, then buy this thing, configure it, and use it to turn the old eMac into a wireless device.

Thats really the only way I could imagine this would help your situation.

If moving the modem and router to a different room isnt feasible, and you know a good "geek" or "nerd" in your life, you could see if your Cisco/Linksys router you already own is compatible with DDWRT firwmare. If it is, you can turn the wireless broadcasting power up on the router so it goes farther.

Good luck.

scottman54


quality posts: 35 Private Messages scottman54
suttonabc wrote:I need a SIMPLE answer.
So....I'm so confused. . I have ONE desktop that is an ancient (but loved,) original eMac, (like 12 years old now?) hooked to the Cisco Linksys Router (N?) at the end if the house, in the office. Everything else we own is portable (laptop, iPad, iTouch,) so no need to chain them down to a wired thing, but the bedroom is at the direct opposite end of the house, so USING the iPad or laptop in here makes it on the weakest bar 1/3 on my iPad,) and watching a YouTube video, (or ANYTHING "streaming") is practically impossible without going to another room, or using an app to download it all the way first, and play it back later, (which may take a few hours for a 15-20 minute craft video, etc.). If you have a router hooked to a computer, then is this (or ANYTHING OUT THERE,) capable of being plugged into just a power outlet in another room, and making the router signal stronger for WIRELESS things in those rooms, or would it have to be wired to the original router or device that isn't wireless to use it?
Maybe my Internet just is too low of "high speed" to reach or "stream" ?
I'm terrible with technical stuff.



Sounds like the product you want is a wireless range extender. It would be placed somewhere between your furthest spot and your router, grab the wireless signal and amplify it farther into your house to reach your bedroom.

This does not do that, as far as I can see.

But what you could do with this is move your wireless router somewhere in the middle of your house (if you have an internet source there), and then plug this item into the ethernet port of your old imac, essentially making it wireless, and possibly making your current wireless signal spread more evenly through the house.

suttonabc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suttonabc
scottman54 wrote:Sounds like the product you want is a wireless range extender. It would be placed somewhere between your furthest spot and your router, grab the wireless signal and amplify it farther into your house to reach your bedroom.

This does not do that, as far as I can see.




Okay. Thank you!!! That's all I needed to hear. I don't understand the numbers and ratios and just needed assurance this wasn't what I wanted. . Thanks!

suttonabc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suttonabc
scottman54 wrote:Sounds like the product you want is a wireless range extender. It would be placed somewhere between your furthest spot and your router, grab the wireless signal and amplify it farther into your house to reach your bedroom.

This does not do that, as far as I can see.

But what you could do with this is move your wireless router somewhere in the middle of your house (if you have an internet source there), and then plug this item into the ethernet port of your old imac, possibly making your current wireless signal spread more evenly through the house.



Does the ORIGINAL ROUTER have to be plugged into a computer, or just the power and Internet? Everything else is portable, (laptop, tablet, iTouch,) so there's nothing else for the original one to hook to except the desktop in the office room.

joellg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joellg
scottman54 wrote:If by wired, you mean network cable wired, and not just usb or something else that only connects directly to a computer, then yes, your printer can get on your network with this, but you would still need to set up this device for your network and find the printer on your network from your other devices.



Yes, network cable wired. I used to have it plugged into my wireless router downstairs for networking, but I moved the router upstairs where everything else in the house is. Sweet, now I'll be able to print wirelessly again

ebnub


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ebnub

I think people saying this can be used as an access point or range extender are confusing it for it's counterpart, the Linksys WES610N.