3%
1%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Passenger57

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Passenger57

First. Woo hoo! So is this Samsung, Vizio, or LG? Coby, you say...no thanks.

scottc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottc

Not a referb? Is this a sign of the end of times?

alanhwoot

quality posts: 39 Private Messages alanhwoot

Somebody forget to update the boilerplate text, or are we really not supposed to know that it's [SPOILERS] a Coby?

TheEndless

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TheEndless

When did Coby become a "Famous Maker"? I'm going back under my rock!

TheEndless

JonPowell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JonPowell

I'd buy one if I hadn't already bought a 42" Vizio LED Smart TV.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

alanhwoot wrote:Somebody forget to update the boilerplate text, or are we really not supposed to know that it's [SPOILERS] a Coby?

They didn't read the fine print when they asked that we not identify them on the main page. It's not on the main page.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
JonPowell wrote:I'd buy one if I hadn't already bought a 42" Vizio LED Smart TV.

Coby is (in)famous. At least around here. I bought some coby stuff.

Once!

Never again!

Doesn't he play for the Lakers?

steve

twcg001177

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twcg001177

Can you watch this TV without the 3D glasses on? Would it look normal?

sirlouie

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sirlouie

Can you turn the 3D effect on and off, so you can watch the TV with or without glasses?

-SL

jdpman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jdpman
ThunderThighs wrote:They didn't read the fine print when they asked that we not identify them on the main page. It's not on the main page.

Well its pretty clear as day if you look on the TV bezel. On sellout.woot.com that is. Might need a magnifying glass to see it in the thumbnail on www.woot.com

SnakeJG

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SnakeJG
twcg001177 wrote:Can you watch this TV without the 3D glasses on? Would it look normal?

Yes, normal/cable/satellite TV is not a 3D signal, so everything will look normal without the glasses. Only if you have a 3D blu-ray player, a 3D blu-ray disc, and specifically turn on the 3D option (either on the player, TV, or both...I'm not entirely sure) will you need the glasses.

b4k4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages b4k4

Famous Maker? That's a laugh! More like Infamous Maker

zmannyc2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zmannyc2

Does this TV turn on when you press the "on" button?

-05:00,1

Councelor

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Councelor

Coby? More like Carp-y!

Last thing I got from Carp-y was an android tablet.... that utter Carp went back to the vendor faster then .... well a hell of a lot faster then that tablet (and more reliable).

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1
zmannyc2 wrote:Does this TV turn on when you press the "on" button?

It's optional.

Wudooeyeno?

ikisat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ikisat

What a silly question... Of course it turns on when you press the on button. You have absolutely no say in when it turns off or if it ever turns back on again though. Some detractors would call this a negative but in Coby advertising it's generally framed as a positive to get the kids playing outside and exercising more.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

Want to know if a member of your extended family or any of your friends have ever declared bankruptcy? Look for Coby electronics. Fingerhut gave an actual (as in I really activated it to see if it would work) no questions asked credit line to my DOG (true story) - yes, a real canine named, get this, "Spot" . . . they (Fingerhut) will give a line of credit to just about anyone, especially right after a bankruptcy . . . Fingerhut has taken selling Coby (should be spelled: "C r a p" not "C o b y") to an art-form so I understand from talking to people caught in the Coby / Emerson / Vivitar trap. If there is Coby in the house, offer them a leg up - you'll never know if you might someday need a second chance too, and if you do ever find yourself wanting, ask those you've helped along the way for help in return so you yourself can avoid the hell that is Coby (Satan's middle name).

When the world is ending, even the looters will leave Coby on the shelves.

Apparently, looking at the sales map, they are popular in Alabama. Go figure. And Arizona too - guess all those Q-tips and snow birds in Sun City are betting the TV lasts longer than they do . .. personally, I bet the TV dies long before old aunt Edith does. Sun City is the only place in the country where the obituaries start on page one of the local paper and end on the back cover next to the weather map and I guarantee that a Coby TV will be impetus of the death of few of them through sheer frustration.

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

Three cheap, crappy brands that are crappy no more -- LG, formerly Goldstar, Samsung and Hyundai. Those South Korean companies really turned things around. LG (Lucky Goldstar) kind of changed its name to make us forget their $20 VCRs.

gantt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt

When I saw "Famous Maker", I was really hoping it would be a Seiki. How disappointing.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
scottc wrote:Not a referb? Is this a sign of the end of times?

Let's put it this way... A brand new Coby doesn't even come close to the quality of a refurbed Samsung or LG. So for the same cost, or even a bit more, I'd much sooner buy a refurbed TV from a reputable brand than Coby. For a 3D TV of this size, I'd pay $100-$300 more for a refurbed Samsung, depending on the features.

To me, the Coby name is most often associated with discount very low-end electronics and items common in Dollar Stores, i.e. headphones.

renigade4x4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages renigade4x4

Coby also serves as an OEM manufacturer for brands including Samsung, NEC, Daewoo, RadioShack's Presidian brand and Hyundai.

So really is it a Big Name or Not? Its up to you all to decide. I have a old Coby tv still works.

Funny little thing fyi Its name comes from deleting the "w" and second "o" in Cowboy Coby.
Happy Trails,
Michael

greyham28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyham28

FWIW, I got a famous maker external display (not Coby, but can't remember the actual brand) that just never worked (could occasionally get the display on but not for more than a minute or two; figured I was using bad cables, but they all work elsewhere). It's still on my desk though. I just never use my desk. Also, if anyone wants a 23" led that doesn't work, let me know.

sdc100

sirlouie wrote:Can you turn the 3D effect on and off, so you can watch the TV with or without glasses?

Most of the time, you'll be using this a regular TV since most broadcasts, DVDs and BluRays are not 3D. In fact, there have only been a few 3D broadcasts, reserved mostly for sports specials, i.e. the Olympics and World Cup soccer. The Olympic opening/closing ceremonies were spectacular! As such, you do not normally need the glasses. If the source is 3D, however, you'll need them. Otherwise, you'll see a "shaky" image that bounces horizontally back and forth very rapidly.

These 3D TVs work by alternating images meant for the Right eye and Left eye on the screen at a rapid rate. When a Right image appears on screen, the Left lens on the glasses blacks out so that the left eye sees nothing. The opposite occurs when a Left image appears. This occurs so rapidly (60 times a sec?) that your brain integrates the alternating Right and Left images into a single 3D image.

sdc100

Councelor wrote:Coby? More like Carp-y!

Last thing I got from Carp-y was an android tablet.... that utter Carp went back to the vendor faster then .... well a hell of a lot faster then that tablet (and more reliable).

Hah. Here's Coby's take on their tablets:

First Coby Kyros™ Internet Tablet introduced to critical acclaim
Coby expands its product line by releasing the very first Kyros Internet Tablet. Powered by Android OS, this wireless tablet made for a great e-book reader, web browser, and media player. With features such as a mini HDMI connector to play HD videos on your TV, the Kyros was an instant hit! Demand for the Kyros Internet Tablet was so high that Coby soon launched additional Kyros tablets, causing a buzz at tech publication PCMag.com. Computer Shopper said that the Kyros MID8024 "holds its own against some much costlier competitors."

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

Shakespeare said it best "Coby, or not Coby,that is the question"

sdc100

jmbunkin wrote:Shakespeare said it best "Coby, or not Coby,that is the question"

Not Coby.
That is the answer.

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm

Consider it a test of quantum mechanics. Much like the state of Schrodinger’s Cat, you won't know if your TV is dead or alive until you actually check.

p2k2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages p2k2000
JonPowell wrote:I'd buy one if I hadn't already bought a 42" Vizio LED Smart TV.

ditto

z0diac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages z0diac
TheEndless wrote:When did Coby become a "Famous Maker"? I'm going back under my rock!

This. Save your money folks.

kmeltzer

quality posts: 32 Private Messages kmeltzer

Just in case you missed all the TV's over the past 3 days....

jabutler303

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jabutler303
gantt wrote:When I saw "Famous Maker", I was really hoping it would be a Seiki. How disappointing.

Or a Silo

ashembers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashembers
twcg001177 wrote:Can you watch this TV without the 3D glasses on? Would it look normal?

It would look normal. My question is, will one-dimensional TV look any better? I am seeing a lot of that lately.

treknoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treknoman

FAMOUS MAKER! "COBY"?! PLEASE!!!!! WHO ARE WE KIDDING HERE?

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Coby! More like Famous Faker.

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69
sdc100 wrote:Let's put it this way... A brand new Coby doesn't even come close to the quality of a refurbed Samsung or LG...

To me, the Coby name is most often associated with discount very low-end electronics and items common in Dollar Stores, i.e. headphones.

And? Buy what you like and feel comfortable with.

Some of us understand there are really only a few companies producing 3D TVs, so it is basically guaranteed to be a 'B' panel from a major company, with simplified settings for brand differentiation.

I got one when it was on Woot last month. Panel is gorgeous, Avatar etc look great with my PS3 doing the 3D, had to go through the PS3 settings for the PS3 to notice the 3D TV correctly then everything was great after that.
Only thing making mine a 'B' panel is a bit more than normal lighter backlighting in the corners, still not bad, just enough someone might not like it if they'd paid a full $750 or $800 for the set. Appears solid and for $300+ off I consider it a great deal, getting the $80 4 year SquareTrade warranty for it and I'm pretty sure I'll have working 3D for 4 years, for only $20 a year extra. Something even a full price set won't have without getting it extra too.

When it didn't respond to Coby codes I hit the net and was seeing Panasonic or LG as likely possibilities. Ended up responding to LG remote codes. Go figure.

ryantg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryantg

When I saw famous maker and the name on the bezel, I first thought it said Sony. As I looked closer I realized my mistake and that it actually says Utter Piece of Dreg.

gwartnet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwartnet

Advice to Woot! buyers: Do not buy Coby.
Advice to Woot! forum admins: If offering Coby product, maintain mysterious problems with comment forum. This is bruttal.

twobuck40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twobuck40

Shouldn't this be in a Big ol' Celebration?!?

twobuck40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twobuck40
twobuck40 wrote:Shouldn't this be in a Big ol' Celebration?!?

B A G
O F
C R A P
! ! ! !