Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2870 Private Messages lichme

latherus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages latherus
lichme wrote:Previous Sale
11/17/2012
$59.99

Just me or is this a hell-of-a deal? Backup my entire Surface on my keychain for ~$60? Seems reasonable

hbjeffery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hbjeffery

The read/write speeds are less than half of a decent USB 2.0 flash drive, but if you really need the storage space on a flash drive, it'll work.

To fill it up, it would take roughly 3 1/2 hours at its claimed write speed!

You can also buy it at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3231980 for the same price.

bpgreen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpgreen

Doesn't seem like a great deal to me. Is the same price at Walmart.

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar

I'm waiting till it's $0.25/GB. Slowly but surely, it's moving there.

kd1357

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kd1357
hbjeffery wrote:The read/write speeds are less than half of a decent USB 2.0 flash drive, but if you really need the storage space on a flash drive, it'll work.

To fill it up, it would take roughly 3 1/2 hours at its claimed write speed!

You can also buy it at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3231980 for the same price.

Technically it's actually cheaper there, since it has free shipping.

Rayski13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Rayski13
kd1357 wrote:Technically it's actually cheaper there, since it has free shipping.

I would be charged $4.35 in taxes if I bought it from TD because they have stores in my state(We only charge tax in FL, IL, NC, TX, GA, SD and ID). I would be spending much more in time & gas instead of paying for it here with shipping.

Raymundo Z Cisneros

thericochet

quality posts: 24 Private Messages thericochet

Slow speeds. Would only be good for archiving unless you like staring at file moving animations. Would also probably be a nightmare trying to stream movies off this onto a media player.

Actually this may make a decent ReadyBoost drive because I think the maximum amount for Windows 7 is 256GB. Dunno if the read/write speed even applies there much.

stevef2222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevef2222
kd1357 wrote:Technically it's actually cheaper there, since it has free shipping.

but there's tax if you live in fla

kd1357

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kd1357
Rayski13 wrote:I would be charged $4.35 in taxes if I bought it from TD because they have stores in my state(We only charge tax in FL, IL, NC, TX, GA, SD and ID). I would be spending much more in time & gas instead of paying for it here with shipping.

I guess I should have added if this is the only thing you buy from Woot, as you'd be paying the $5 shipping charge on top of this. And .65 saved is still something. Everything counts, right?

EDIT: Being in TX I'd be paying taxes either way, as well.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok, fine. You win! Did you hear me!?!? You win!!

The price has been lowered to $52.99.

If you already purchased, you'll be refunded the difference automagically. Expect a love letter from CS probably on the next business day.

Now you better go buy 3. Seriously, people!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

JYoung

quality posts: 6 Private Messages JYoung

Ugh.
I hate to sound repetitive but I can't recommend these drives.

There's a known issue with them becoming permanently write protected and it's pretty widespread.
(Google "centon usb write protected".)
Centon even has a FAQ page for this problem.

Which didn't work for me and I had to RMA my drive.

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard

LOL at the FAQs: "Be sure to click the correct drive – you DO NOT want to format the wrong drive."

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

MWPollard

The Centon Rush 128GB is only on Google Shopping one place, and it's $106 delivered there.

Quite a upcharge for USB 3.0, and you also lose the waterproofiness and such for sake of appearance - and so there's no longer a cap to lose.

MWPollard

Google Shopping > Flash Drives > Over 64GB: This particular one is #1 Most Popular.

petenewk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petenewk
latherus wrote:Just me or is this a hell-of-a deal? Backup my entire Surface on my keychain for ~$60? Seems reasonable

That is of course until 6 months down the line you cannot read the data and it reports itself as write protected. Then you think, "Gee online backup is less than $10 per month and I can actually read my data after 6 months." Search the internet like I didn't before I bought one. These WILL fail!

c4warhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c4warhead

Nothing but bad experiences with Centon 64 GB (bought on Woot!), including slow speed and DOA.

RichieT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RichieT

Maybe i'm lucky! I have the 64 gig and two 8 gigs of the same model, used regularly for a year or more. There has been no read/write issues. The only issue that I have had is that the rubber case on the 64 gig had expanded and I had to double stick tape the drive back into it, the cap hangs on, barely..but as far as function, they've all been just fine!

joec66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joec66

I'll NEVER buy another Centon drive. Bought one of the 64G drives a few months ago. It became write protected on its second use. I sent it back via their replacement program. The new one failed on its first use. Trashed it and promised myself NEVER again.

teksalot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teksalot

The cap always fell off on mine, eventually lost it completely. Drive still works, but its not protected anymore.

ejbruton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejbruton

Please don't waste your money on this. I purchased the 64GB version awhile back and not only did the cap fall off within the first week (negating the water proof feature), my pc still won't automatically recognize it, and it won't work on my mac or ps3 at all. Just get one of these, works great.

http://www.era2k.com/products/Lexar-JumpDrive-TwistTurn-64-GB-USB-2.0-Flash-Drive-LJDTT64GASBNA-%28Black%29-%252d%252d-2GRO002EY8HJH99.html

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex

Is it my imagination or has woot basically become just a crap-a-thon? I used to look forward to each day's offerings from woot, but these days I'm starting to wonder why I even check any longer. Cheap crap is still crap.

Scud422

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scud422

Can this flash drive support a file size greater than 4g? Does it use the FAT32 file system or NTFS? If it uses FAT32, can it be formatted for NTFS?

thailar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thailar
molex wrote:Is it my imagination or has woot basically become just a crap-a-thon? I used to look forward to each day's offerings from woot, but these days I'm starting to wonder why I even check any longer. Cheap crap is still crap.

Hate to be a downer but I was just thinking the same thing. And they have clearly gotten greedy with their margins as well. This is the second time this week they have had to lower the price after being called out on other normal sites having lower prices than the "deal". Nowadays even if I were already going to buy something that comes up, I can usually find a better one elsewhere for a similar price. Checking woot is just a habit now.

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex
thailar wrote:Checking woot is just a habit now.

Yep. I think I'm going to break this habit. Trust = gone.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

thailar wrote:Hate to be a downer but I was just thinking the same thing. And they have clearly gotten greedy with their margins as well. This is the second time this week they have had to lower the price after being called out on other normal sites having lower prices than the "deal". Nowadays even if I were already going to buy something that comes up, I can usually find a better one elsewhere for a similar price. Checking woot is just a habit now.

Keep in mind that for the next few weeks, prices at all sites are changing rapidly. We lowered a price earlier in the week only to see the competing site raise theirs hours later. Very competitive shopping right now.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders