0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

kd1357

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kd1357

If only this were available about 2 weeks ago.

y3lh5a

quality posts: 8 Private Messages y3lh5a

Siii.... The corn baller...

38 woots and counting over 7+ years.

sdkammer

quality posts: 28 Private Messages sdkammer

Own this. Have used it for three years...it's awesome! We fry our turkeys indoors and no open flame!

Fits about a 12.5 lb turkey pretty well...you can cram a 13.5 in there if you need to but you'll have to fill the oil past max...I wouldn't do that if you don't have a safe place for spill-over as you're lowering the bird.

The skin will stick to the basket so you'll have to work the turkey free when it's done...TOTALLY worth the effort though!

Takes a little less than 2 gallons of oil. We usually fry three turkeys with the oil (one for us, my sister, and a neighbor) every year and then maybe fry a few other things as well before having to drain it.

Clean-up isn't that bad as it has a spout at the bottom for draining and a pull-out tub.

All-in-all...this is awesome! We paid $119 for ours a few years ago...would do it again in a heart-beat!!

Enjoy!!

Edit: The digital timer is pretty cheap...it died the first year but it has no effect on the results. We used the timer on our oven anyway because it's louder.

rocketdoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rocketdoctor

I have one of these they are awesome! easy and safe to use and clean. The only drawback is you can only cook small turkeys in them (up to 12 lbs).

If you never had Deep fried turkeys ,its thebest way to cook them ever! they cook fast (under and hour) and they are nice and juicy on the inside not greasy like you might think.

sdkammer

quality posts: 28 Private Messages sdkammer
rocketdoctor wrote:I have one of these they are awesome! easy and safe to use and clean. The only drawback is you can only cook small turkeys in them (up to 12 lbs).

If you never had Deep fried turkeys ,its thebest way to cook them ever! they cook fast (under and hour) and they are nice and juicy on the inside not greasy like you might think.

Good point RocketDoctor!! The skin comes out brown and crispy and it's juicy on the inside...not oily at all! There are several injector marinates out there from cajun spice to teriyaki...and they're all delicious!

madcow19

quality posts: 10 Private Messages madcow19

Great reviews from the Mother Ship.

About $20 cheaper from woot, so good deal in my opinion.

Now, to convince the wife...

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Oh no... the woot lawyers will finally earn their pay after this item ships.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
rocketdoctor wrote:If you never had Deep fried turkeys ,its thebest way to cook them ever! they cook fast (under and hour) and they are nice and juicy on the inside not greasy like you might think.

I agree! I had fried turkey for the first time ever this past Thanksgiving, and I don't plan on having it any other way in the future! It is soooooo much juicier, and the leftovers are wonderful

babystewie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages babystewie

For those owners, have you fried other things in it?

broncosfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broncosfan
babystewie wrote:For those owners, have you fried other things in it?

One of the Amazon reviews reads as follows: "Best catfish ever! I also fried turkey wings and a whole chicken the same day. I had no trouble at all with a 4 lb chicken and bought some small turkeys to fry later. Imagine frying a whole chicken in 17 minutes! No need to imagine it, you can do it!"

This fellow certainly seems excited to fry lots of things other than turkey in it...

Geoff Lyons

JosephPalreiro

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JosephPalreiro

Looks like I'm legit in for 3. Should make one heck of a Xmas present!

thewronggrape

quality posts: 44 Private Messages thewronggrape
broncosfan wrote:One of the Amazon reviews reads as follows: "Best catfish ever! I also fried turkey wings and a whole chicken the same day. I had no trouble at all with a 4 lb chicken and bought some small turkeys to fry later. Imagine frying a whole chicken in 17 minutes! No need to imagine it, you can do it!"

This fellow certainly seems excited to fry lots of things other than turkey in it...

Hmm. A whole, fry chicken is pretty cheap and something I would enjoy pretty often. I also like deep frying fish and pork spareribs. Thinking this might a good investment.

babystewie

Hopefully sells out before I can make up my mind. I live a lone and don't fry very much.

babystewie

Revelation, I could probably deep fry about 4 pounds of bacon. Mmmm, bacon.

BeachWoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BeachWoot

14lbs is a very small turkey!

It's big for a chicken, but small for a turkey!

crystallawhorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crystallawhorn

Can anyone tell me if this item is dual voltage? If not, what is the wattage?

ditimus414

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ditimus414

Just in time!

Deucer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Deucer
madcow19 wrote:Great reviews from the Mother Ship.

About $20 cheaper from woot, so good deal in my opinion.

Now, to convince the wife...

Black model on Amazon is $79.99. So you're really saving 10 bucks...

sailorfrag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailorfrag
Deucer wrote:Black model on Amazon is $79.99. So you're really saving 10 bucks...

$5 after tax :\

lstaff

quality posts: 197 Private Messages lstaff
sailorfrag wrote:$5 after tax :\

killjoy.

;O)

Rozie13

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Rozie13

Description says you can use it for steaming or boiling too.

Shoot.

So this is like a massive countertop lobster death machine?

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr

Yes, you can fit up to 12 pounds of fresh road kill... just don't forget to remove the fur and hooves. Don't worry about the tire tread marks as the hot oil will have a cleansing effect on those.

wheels2121

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wheels2121

I bought one from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for around $100. Have used it a couple of times and it does a great job. The stainless version looks nicer than the all black version. We fried a turkey breast in about 40 min and it was better than the whole turkey we fried for Thanksgiving. Would work great for chicken, cornish hen, many other things. Clean-up is pretty easy - spout at bottom makes it easy to drain and filter oil for re-use. Really a 12.5 lb turkey is the largest that would fit in here. There is an XL version of this fryer that would fry around an 18 lb turkey, but this fryer is more practical in terms of counter space and space required to store the unit when not in use.

Rudedog753

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Rudedog753

I love mine! Got it for twice the price, but still worth it. I make sweet potato french fries and turkey breasts with it. Takes about 30 minutes or less to get to operating temperature and then around 60 minutes to cook a 9lbs. turkey breast. In for one for my Sis.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

I do like that it's electric. In case you were wondering what the risks are with a propane turkey fryer, check out this educational video.

catherinemcclarey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages catherinemcclarey
kd1357 wrote:If only this were available about 2 weeks ago.

We have turkey for both Thanksgiving & Christmas, so this would still work for us. I'd have to watch the size on the turkeys I buy, though; the one I prepared for Thanksgiving was a 13.5-pounder (which sounds like it would barely fit in this gadget).

billebouy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billebouy

Suddenly, I want a moister, tastier turkey...

mitchwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitchwooter

It is not the same as frying in a kettle and you don't get that crispness. It sort of steams and fries at the same time similar to how The Colonel did KY Fried Chicken by frying in a pressure cooker.

I bought one and fried a turkey for each relative visiting from afar. It was a booger to clean.

I GAVE IT AWAY SOON AFTER!

tamijames1108

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamijames1108

How large of a turkey can you use with this? I am not finding it in the description.

Thanks!

Tami James

PoodleGravy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PoodleGravy
crystallawhorn wrote:Can anyone tell me if this item is dual voltage? If not, what is the wattage?

Hi,

It's standard 120v

I bought this a few years ago and absolutely love it!It's easy to clean but the fry basket does get bits of skin stuck to it however a good soaking in hot soapy water takes care of it. The fryer does have a large footprint so if you have limited counter top space you'll need to make room for it. I deep fry whole chickens and they always come out perfectly crispy and moist meat. I highly recommend this at this price.

maplewood81

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maplewood81

We absolutely love this fryer and have it on our kitchen counter as a permanent fixture. Ironically, we've never used it to fry a turkey. Hubby worked at a home improvement store and saw many of these returned because they wouldn't hold a high enough temperature to keep the bird cooking. At least that's what was said when the customers made their returns.

Anyway, the temp dial says it goes up to 375, but after measuring the pre-heated oil a few times, we found that the temps were short by about 25 degrees. So the highest it will cook at is 350.

However, all things considered, this is an absolutely excellent fryer. We highly recommend using peanut oil for its high burn temp and fabulous flavor. We've loved making our own tortilla chips out of plain tortillas, chimichangas, potato chips, fried pickles, plantains, and a variety of frozen foods (tater tots, chicken fingers, etc.). Creating new dishes has also been a favorite family activity.

Other notes: The fryer also comes with an easy-release cord where a magnet is used to hold it in place; if the cord is tugged at all, it comes off of the fryer. Its size insists that it be a continual countertop presence, as filling and draining the tub are time-consuming and can be messy (unless you know you'll only bring it out for special occasions). The "Ready" light is a wonderful convenience.

We highly recommend this fryer.

ssports

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ssports
BeachWoot wrote:14lbs is a very small turkey!

It's big for a chicken, but small for a turkey!

You must be from Texas? Big for a chicken? Please send me pic of 14lb. Chicken!

Seriously, I was raised in the country many years ago (62yo). Now reside in the city (boo). I curse under my breath every time I go shopping for food and get to the meat case and see 5-6lb chickens marketed as "fryers", and think grandma must be rolling over in her grave! 5-6lb chickens are NOT frying chickens they are roasters, i.e. roast so the nasty fat drips off of them, 2.5-3lb is a frying chicken. If you have never had a true frying sized chicken fried you are missing out, the taste is exponentially better than these huge chickens they Faust off on the public these days as fryers. Heck I can't remember the last time I saw a "real" frying chicken at the grocery store. Want a treat?, go to a local meat shop that knows their stuff and get a "true" frying sized chicken and you will never settle for those nasty tasting grocery store chickens again!

maplewood81

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maplewood81

Public service announcement: remember to completely and thoroughly thaw and pat dry your turkey, chicken, etc.

dannnnnn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dannnnnn
sdkammer wrote:Own this. Have used it for three years...it's awesome! We fry our turkeys indoors and no open flame!

I've used this too, and while it is safer to use inside than most fryers since it is electric, I'd still suggest doing it outside - the hot oil has a chance to splash out when you drop the bird.

mkglosson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mkglosson

We have fried fish and potatoes in it, including Sweet Potato Chips. Woks great no matter what we cook, but... we use ours outside or in the garage. No matter how safe it is for indoor use it still gets the house smelling like grease!

autocrosser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages autocrosser

I've had one for a year, and use it weekly to fry up chicken tenders and fries for the kids. Best fryer, ever.

giolee88

quality posts: 15 Private Messages giolee88

shatner, awesome. woot write-up...AWESOME!! :D

mkglosson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mkglosson
tamijames1108 wrote:How large of a turkey can you use with this? I am not finding it in the description.

Thanks!

The manufacturer says 14 LBS but it just seemed to big. We did a 12 lb turkey and it fit perfectly.

flashman53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flashman53
crystallawhorn wrote:Can anyone tell me if this item is dual voltage? If not, what is the wattage?

120volts 1650 watts