5%
7%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

Better screen resolution than the standard 1366x768 I seem to see all over the place these days.

amanrangan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amanrangan
vicemagnet wrote:Better screen resolution than the standard 1366x768 I seem to see all over the place these days.

amazing laptop for this price but i'm wary about it being refurbished

davemoosehead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davemoosehead

Should be at least $100 less considering it's a refurbished laptop. I'd avoid this.

davemoosehead

vicemagnet wrote:Better screen resolution than the standard 1366x768 I seem to see all over the place these days.

1600x900 is the standard, most common resolution for a 17" laptop.

darthcircuit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthcircuit
davemoosehead wrote:1600x900 is the standard, most common resolution for a 17" laptop.

too bad it doesn't have the 1080p screen they offer. I've got two laptops with it, and it hurts my eyes to use anything else now.

supremepenguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supremepenguin

Should update the shipping info. Shipping lithium batteries to APO/FPO is authorized again as of 15 Nov. http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2012/pr12_128.htm

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

supremepenguin wrote:Should update the shipping info. Shipping lithium batteries to APO/FPO is authorized again as of 15 Nov. http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2012/pr12_128.htm

There's still some red tape we have to jump through to get that restarted. It also depends on the country they're being sent to. We're working on it.

http://www.stripes.com/news/shipping-lithium-battery-items-still-not-so-easy-1.195619

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

supremepenguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supremepenguin
ThunderThighs wrote:There's still some red tape we have to jump through to get that restarted. It also depends on the country they're being sent to. We're working on it.

http://www.stripes.com/news/shipping-lithium-battery-items-still-not-so-easy-1.195619

Well that's just a total bummer. Good to know though, thanks for the info.

fizzburn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fizzburn
amanrangan wrote:amazing laptop for this price but i'm wary about it being refurbished

bought this laptop from walmart.com (yes refurbed) a year ago. still going strong. just purchased another refurb in July for the kid... we both love it

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

This laptop has the previous generation A8 chips. The new chips are A10 chips with significant improvements.

lilwulfe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilwulfe
amanrangan wrote:amazing laptop for this price but i'm wary about it being refurbished

Am typing from this model lappy. Love mine and haven't had any problems with it. This is my 2nd refurbed laptop purchased via Woot. Other one is still working although it needs a new battery due to a damaged power cord not charging it properly.

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost

It all depends on who does the refurbishing. For instance a refurb by Apple is nearly as good as the original. Other refurbs are horrible, so you have to see which company is doing the refurbishing on it.

nanaejt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nanaejt
davemoosehead wrote:1600x900 is the standard, most common resolution for a 17" laptop.

Wrong !

nanaejt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nanaejt
davemoosehead wrote:Should be at least $100 less considering it's a refurbished laptop. I'd avoid this.

I see you're a man of your word.

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

I bought it for $529 a month ago when it had 8 gig of ram and a Blu ray drive. I set it up to replace my office desktop and the office desktop died 5 days later (motherboard or power supply, I haven't looked back). Thanks Woot!

cmacclel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
nanaejt wrote:Wrong !

Yes your wrong.........I bought 5, 17" laptops in the past 2 weeks and 3 of them are 1080p and the lower end ones are 1600x900 so get with the times

k8smate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k8smate
ThunderThighs wrote:There's still some red tape we have to jump through to get that restarted. It also depends on the country they're being sent to. We're working on it.

Not so. The article cited above was based on old information. The USPS announced on November 16th it will immediately accept shipments to APO and FPO worldwide. Only Germany has informed the USPS it will not allow lithium batteries in shipments via THEIR post office, but APO, FPO and DPO addresses in Germany are OK since they are handled only by the USPS and US Military Postal personnel. They are not sent on commercial airlines so that is not an issue. (I am a USPS insider so this is gospel.)

Whoever wrote that article 5 days ago is not citing the CURRENT policy which the USPS is making well known since we are approaching the cutoff for ground transport to AFO and FPO shipments. Air shipments still have a couple weeks, and they go on military aircraft.

From the USPS Web site on the matter:
http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2012/pr12_ma1116.htm

"The postal operator of Germany has notified the Postal Service it will not accept packages containing lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries destined to addresses in Germany.
"This does not apply to shipments to and from APO (Army Post Office), FPO (Fleet Post Office) and DPO (Diplomatic Post Office) locations in Germany."

ThunderThighs

Staff

Good to know. We still haven't cleared things from our end but hopefully we will get things going soon.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

gak0090

quality posts: 83 Private Messages gak0090
cmacclel wrote:Yes your wrong.........I bought 5, 17" laptops in the past 2 weeks and 3 of them are 1080p and the lower end ones are 1600x900 so get with the times

No- you are wrong. nanaejt is correct that most 17-17.3 inch laptops are still 1600X900. If you look at all of the current models on Newegg for 17-17.3 inch laptops- there are a total of 167. Of these 167, only 52 (31%) are 1080P, the rest are 1600x900. As the panels become cheaper to make these will continue to shift towards 1080P, and at some point it will become the predominant resolution- but currently 1600x900 reigns supreme.

harleycat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages harleycat

OK, I am seriously thinking about buying this. I am reluctant for a couple of reasons. It is not 1080. It has less than 8GB memory. Refurb I don't mind. I recently bought the new iPad so was thinking of switching to a turkey with stuffing and gravy, but with an iPhone, too, not sure if I want to go totally Apple. Any thoughts?

joefosho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joefosho
gak0090 wrote:No- you are wrong. nanaejt is correct that most 17-17.3 inch laptops are still 1600X900. If you look at all of the current models on Newegg for 17-17.3 inch laptops- there are a total of 167. Of these 167, only 52 (31%) are 1080P, the rest are 1600x900. As the panels become cheaper to make these will continue to shift towards 1080P, and at some point it will become the predominant resolution- but currently 1600x900 reigns supreme.

That was his original argument, that you just proved correct.

nothingxs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nothingxs

Unfortunately, Beats Audio is a pain -- you can't disable the core app that runs it and trying to turn it off completely mangles your sound, so you'll never be able to just get raw, unprocessed sound to let your music players individually handle equalizing, etc.

It got so bad on my desktop that I am buying a new sound card, hopefully one that I can use the front plugs with. You won't have that luxury with a laptop, unfortunately.

avoid2000

quality posts: 3 Private Messages avoid2000

I bought this laptop from Costco and seems that the batteries are a major defect, they just fall out sometimes. Seriously, the battery pack just falls out occasionally.

I solved the problem with a toothpick. Cut the toothpick so that it holds the battery latch in the secure position.

Other than that, it's a pretty good buy, great sound, good graphics etc.

-A

Ygor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ygor

Anyone load Linux on one of these ?

gak0090

harleycat wrote:OK, I am seriously thinking about buying this. I am reluctant for a couple of reasons. It is not 1080. It has less than 8GB memory. Refurb I don't mind. I recently bought the new iPad so was thinking of switching to a turkey with stuffing and gravy, but with an iPhone, too, not sure if I want to go totally Apple. Any thoughts?

The price is OK here, personally I think for a woot it should be priced around $425 to be a great deal. For 1080P screen you'll need to spend about $700+. Keep looking, the deals will get better.

ThunderThighs

Staff

GOOD NEWS

We just got word that All the red tape has been gone through so we can ship Lithium batteries now per the USPS guidelines.

We've updated this sale so Military can now order. Go buy 3.

FORUM MODERATOR

kefkafish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kefkafish

I know the previous Pavillion DV7 series had SERIOUS heat issues. It looks like they've moved the headphone and mic jacks from the front to the side to cut vents in order to help with the cooling. Anyone with this newer model have any heat issues with it?

tevaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tevaron

I have one, a higher spec version than is being offered here, and in general the heat is no problem. That said, if you play graphically intense games you need to put it on a non-lap surface it gets hot enough to literally burn you when under high load for a while. Otherwise a vast improvement in cooling over my last laptop from 2009.

markriddle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages markriddle

Good computer but overpriced. Got this last year for nearly $75 less and was happy with that price point. Graphics are fine. Mine came with less memory but more expansion, and a upgradable video card. Lack of Blue ray may be a killer for some buyers. Though I will say I've been very impressed by the performance of the machine I purchased. Betcha better deals are coming

chartles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chartles

i have the same (or very similar) model at home. bought almost 2 yrs ago. overheating issues solved with a good internal cleaning to remove dust. but the monitor is starting to go (shifts to a funky 70's coloring every so often).

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
danwat1234 wrote:This laptop has the previous generation A8 chips. The new chips are A10 chips with significant improvements.

Got the A 10 locally for $100 more and many more options. Local Mom & Pop so the large buyers are getting large quantities cheaper.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

elvensage

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elvensage

I own this laptop, absolutely love it! One of the few laptop purchases I've made that I haven't come to regret.

Two things worth considering though... although for most people they would be non-issues.

#1 - The hybrid video card that it uses does not play too well with most distros of Linux. So I usually drag a light-weight (this machine IS heavy!) old dell to run BackTrack on.

#2 - While this laptop has decent speakers, and a nice audio set-up... it does not have an audio input other than the microphone jack. I do a lot of audio work as well as DJing, and when working on some smaller projects it would be nice to not lug around extra equipment. It does however have two audio outputs instead... which is probably more useful to the average user.

davemoosehead

gak0090 wrote:No- you are wrong. nanaejt is correct that most 17-17.3 inch laptops are still 1600X900. If you look at all of the current models on Newegg for 17-17.3 inch laptops- there are a total of 167. Of these 167, only 52 (31%) are 1080P, the rest are 1600x900. As the panels become cheaper to make these will continue to shift towards 1080P, and at some point it will become the predominant resolution- but currently 1600x900 reigns supreme.

That was me who said 1600x800 is most common for 17" laptops, not nanaejt. nanaejt was trying to claim the 1366x768 was the most common for 17".

davemoosehead

nanaejt wrote:I see you're a man of your word.

And I see you're a crazy person.

gak0090

davemoosehead wrote:That was me who said 1600x800 is most common for 17" laptops, not nanaejt. nanaejt was trying to claim the 1366x768 was the most common for 17".

My bad - we agree most common 17" resolution today is 1600x900. The 1366x768 is a 15.6" laptop resolution. What did you think about the sweet Newegg reference to drive that point home?

depeeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages depeeps

So which one is better. This one, or the one thatwas on the moofi the other day.

kristikaty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kristikaty

I bought the Pavilion dv7 one year ago and I love it!! The only issue I have is that it is rather large and very heavy. It is not the kind of laptop you want if you are bringing it back and forth to work. However, aside from the size, it is the perfect computer. Fast, reliable, large screen, large keyboard, HDMI. I have had no trouble with mine in the year I have had it.

With all that said, the price seems kind of high. I only paid $400 for mine.

tzstlouis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tzstlouis

Hubby bought me this exact refurb from woot about 6 months ago. It is a great machine!
PROs- BIG! BRIGHT! RESPONSIVE!
Cons- Heavy- not one you wanna carry around! Keyboard is still hard for me to get used to, since it has a 10key pad on the right, (which I THOUGHT I would love...) this makes the alpha keys sit further to the left- and I still can't wrap my widdle brain around that... still hitting the wrong keys cause I sit centered to the screen. (I was used to a little laptop before)... but These are my ONLY complaints.

jencartwright1223

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jencartwright1223

Has anyone heard anything ab out when this is susposed to ship...I ordered mine over a week ago and it still has not shipped.