2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

fwsch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fwsch

The write-up description story is so naughty. You are naughty, woot, so naughty :B

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

"Same 1.5 volts as disposable alkalines"

Isn't NiMH 1.2V? I realize that alkaline batteries drop in voltage as they are discharged though and NiMH holds steady

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

fwsch wrote:The write-up description story is so naughty. You are naughty, woot, so naughty :B

trbofr13nd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trbofr13nd

Third time I've seen this deal on Woot, second time (after buying the first time) that I'm recommending it ;) 12 AA batteries themselves are expensive, so rechargeable ones with some AAA are extra nice.

I keep hearing they don't work well in very demanding devices and whatnot, I guess like high-power cameras? I use mine in Xbox controllers and they work wonders, so yeah.

Sig sig sig sig sig

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom
danwat1234 wrote:"Same 1.5 volts as disposable alkalines"

Isn't NiMH 1.2V? I realize that alkaline batteries drop in voltage as they are discharged though and NiMH holds steady

Yes n both counts, so if you have a weird device that needs more than an NiMH battery provides then this will work, but only for half or less of its charge.

I don't have anything that won't work with NiMH batteries.

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

The description is priceless! Priceless, I tell ya

readymade

quality posts: 19 Private Messages readymade

Looks like somebody got carte blanche to write whatever description they wanted to about these things. That or the head copy editor is out with a bad flu.

I got something better than luck.

fredheid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredheid

Dont waste your money the charge only holds for about 20 pics in my digital camera yea its only $20.00 but save it or send me the $20.00 its a piece of junk

FRED C HEID

susb1968

quality posts: 0 Private Messages susb1968

The AAA were unusually wide, too wide for my TIVO remote.

outoftune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages outoftune
craigthom wrote:Yes n both counts, so if you have a weird device that needs more than an NiMH battery provides then this will work, but only for half or less of its charge.

I don't have anything that won't work with NiMH batteries.

I think you just explained why I'm not having great luck in my Flashlights.. they work fine for a while but then just go to nothing.(Enveloops)

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom
outoftune wrote:I think you just explained why I'm not having great luck in my Flashlights.. they work fine for a while but then just go to nothing.(Enveloops)

Eneloops are NiMH and should maintain steady voltage. It's alkaline batteries that drop voltage as they discharge.

AVspec

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AVspec

If they worked well with turkey with stuffing and gravy wireless keyboard and mouse I would be all over these.....

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf

Bought 3 last time offered, got 3 more this time. That almost takes care of christmas gifts for family. If woot would next offer the Energizer Weather Ready flashlight ($9.99), my shopping would be 3/4 complete!

jjiinx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjiinx
AVspec wrote:If they worked well with turkey with stuffing and gravy wireless keyboard and mouse I would be all over these.....

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

When I radio reviewed a (quickly discontinued) brand name version of these 12 years ago on my show, it was pointed out that each time they are recharged, the capacity drops a certain percentage.

If I recall correctly, they are shot after 25 charges, and at about 12 charges, they only held 50% of their capacity.

Perhaps a Wooter who has had these for a while can update us on this?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

jbrandii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrandii

I've bought 3 rounds of these from woot - the last time was this same set with the larger charger. I'm not going to get a sciency on you, but they have worked well for everything I've used them for. I quite like that the hold the charge, whereas my experience with nimh is they are dead in a couple weeks, used or not. We've has some of these over a year an no real issues. Lots of charges. For the price you're even after just a few uses.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
radi0j0hn wrote:When I radio reviewed a (quickly discontinued) brand name version of these 12 years ago on my show, it was pointed out that each time they are recharged, the capacity drops a certain percentage.

If I recall correctly, they are shot after 25 charges, and at about 12 charges, they only held 50% of their capacity.

Perhaps a Wooter who has had these for a while can update us on this?

They die very quickly and then they leak. Had to throw out 8 AAA batteries after 2 months of use.

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090

How about iGo and get a real charger and batteries.

srp17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srp17

Okay, so what about the charger. Can I use it with other batteries?

scotwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotwr

Looks like the mAh spec is not being shared in the obvious places... anyone know what options the AA mAh is? I am thinking not much if cams and such deplete so quickly.

bsyris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bsyris

Anyone have any info on the charger? Is it 'smart,' does it charge the cells individually? What are the currents?

indetrucks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages indetrucks
srp17 wrote:Okay, so what about the charger. Can I use it with other batteries?

As per the product description:
"Dual chemistry hybrid chargers charge any rechargeable alkaline or NiMH batteries"

FourTurkeys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FourTurkeys
2thFairy wrote:They die very quickly and then they leak. Had to throw out 8 AAA batteries after 2 months of use.

Ditto. These are a definite waste of $20 because they lose capacity with every charge.

Dekortage

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Dekortage

I bought these awhile ago on Woot. Honestly they have worked really well for me. I use them in kids toys, in video game controllers, and in some outdoor gear.

Something you need to remember is that these batteries will not charge well in other chargers. I don't understand why, but apparently if you charge these batteries in any other charger (besides the included iGo one) they will not charge well, and will go bad quickly. But the iGo charger handles them fine. I suspect there is some specific chemistry in the battery, since it's supposed to be more environmental than other batteries. I have a couple of other chargers and dozens of other rechargeable batteries (other brands), and other than this charger-specific quirk, the iGo batteries work as well as other rechargeables.

So, I would recommend these batteries, but make sure you use their special charger.

lowry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lowry

I bought this last time it was up. The batteries are mediocre, and don't hold much of a charge. In fact, two wouldn't charge so Woot refunded me $4. The charger is nice, but the batteries are sub-par. I have batteries from Costco - Sanyo Enelope which are much better.

richellelander

quality posts: 18 Private Messages richellelander

I asked this before and I'll ask it again because no one answered last time. Why is it, that even though there are 8 batteries in the charger, the LCD only registers seven? (I'm looking at the picture) I don't want to buy a charger that is not going to charge the batteries!

A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. ~~Franklin P. Jones

DrunkCat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrunkCat

Third time's a char---

Wait nevermind, the same ol' folks are here. I wonder if any of you ever changed your oven or fridge light to a CFL bulb. Or maybe, more plausible, you put a CFL bulb into a dimmable socket and then threw a fit at the store you bought them from.

Ah well, at any rate I feel obligated to post again on these batteries. Especially because, gasp, the iGO batteries in my PS3 remote I bought when Woot first offered these things finally ran out of juice.

Oh the humanity, how dare a rechargeable alkaline battery discharge after 3~4 months in a low-drain device. Woot should feel ashamed with themselves. Next thing you know they'll be trying to scam you with powerbands. (Bold added for those special folks mentioned in the first paragraph.)

Relax.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg

I've had bad experiences with rechargeable alkaline batteries. I installed 8 sets of rechargeable solar powered spot lights that contained PURE rechargeable alkaline batteries. All but 2 sets burst open or oozed acid. I replaced them with regular NiMH rechargeable and they work fine. No problems after a year of us. So, I kind of stay away from them now.

TC1 USCG Ret

bitserve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bitserve

It's my understanding that periodically one needs to drain these batteries so that they can build a fresh new crystal. If one doesn't, then yes, they start acting weird.

sethsage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sethsage

What are the milliamp ratings of the batteries?

SethSage

crystalidaho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crystalidaho

These batteries suck, I bought them last time around on WOOT, and after an overnight charge, they only last about 15 to 20 min. in the camera- don't buy!

gregchico

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregchico

I bought this deal last time and will buy again this time.

I have had no problems with the charger or the batteries in any of the devices I have put them in. The charger is nice for the $20 (can charge both AA and AAA without any external adapters).

As for high drain, I used the AAs in my high drain LED flashlight (Fenix TK45, uses 8 AAs) with no problems. They worked as well as the Eneloops I normally use.

Would I use these in "mission critical" devices, no, Eneloops have a better reputation, but these seem to be fine for the $$$$.

jmgamble

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmgamble

I'm buying a set just because of the description.

rorwizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rorwizard

Last time I bought these on a woot off quite a few of the batteries I received did not take a charge. A little disappointing but woot was excellent about giving me a refund.

The ones that do work I haven't had a problem with. I use them at work with my noise canceling headset and they last about the same as the disposable ones I used to buy. Since I'm constantly going through batteries it's nice to be able to recharge in the hotel room, and not have to buy monster packs at Sam's club anymore.

So yes, at this price I would recommend them, especially if you already unlocked shipping. Just make sure they all charge when you receive them. If not woot will hook you up.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871
rorwizard wrote:Last time I bought these on a woot off quite a few of the batteries I received did not take a charge. A little disappointing but woot was excellent about giving me a refund.

The ones that do work I haven't had a problem with. I use them at work with my noise canceling headset and they last about the same as the disposable ones I used to buy. Since I'm constantly going through batteries it's nice to be able to recharge in the hotel room, and not have to buy monster packs at Sam's club anymore.

So yes, at this price I would recommend them, especially if you already unlocked shipping. Just make sure they all charge when you receive them. If not woot will hook you up.

I agree. I think the reason they send you so many is because half might not work. Pretty disappointed in there.

razholio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages razholio
johnt007871 wrote:I agree. I think the reason they send you so many is because half might not work. Pretty disappointed in there.

As a poster above mentioned in a post dripping with sarcasm, these batteries are:
1. *not* NiMH, they are rechargeable alkaline. My iGo AA's say 2000mah.
2. they are good for low-drain applications, or where you need the batteries to stay charged on the shelf for years. I use mine in my bluetooth mouse, AV remotes, and toy remotes where NiMH batteries (even the new hybrids) just don't last as long because they don't hold a charge as long even without use.
3. these batteries are significantly cheaper than NiMH, (less than half the price of NiMH batts) so you have to factor that into total cost of ownership.

blt2589

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blt2589
DrunkCat wrote:Third time's a char---

Wait nevermind, the same ol' folks are here. I wonder if any of you ever changed your oven or fridge light to a CFL bulb. Or maybe, more plausible, you put a CFL bulb into a dimmable socket and then threw a fit at the store you bought them from.

Ah well, at any rate I feel obligated to post again on these batteries. Especially because, gasp, the iGO batteries in my PS3 remote I bought when Woot first offered these things finally ran out of juice.

Oh the humanity, how dare a rechargeable alkaline battery discharge after 3~4 months in a low-drain device. Woot should feel ashamed with themselves. Next thing you know they'll be trying to scam you with powerbands. (Bold added for those special folks mentioned in the first paragraph.)

That's crazy! You're asking people to read details and notice that these are alkaline batteries. Then you expect them to do a little research and find information on rechargeable battery chemistry?

mamalomo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamalomo

Every since I picked up eight I-C3 batteries, I became not interested in any others. Why is that? Because Rayovac I-C3 batteries charge in freakin' 15-minutes, that's why! I don't care how fast/slow they discharge because they're back in action in 15-minutes, and I know when that happens because the fan shuts off--done!

My question is, how long do these take to charge. If it's more than one hour, it is toxic waste because it belongs in the garbage just as soon as it comes off the assembly line--thank you very much.

NNick476

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NNick476

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_alkaline_battery
"If they are discharged by less than 25%, they can be recharged for hundreds of cycles to about 1.42 V. If they are discharged by less than 50%, they can be almost fully recharged for a few dozen cycles" ..."if deeply discharged a cell may only provide 20 cycles"
Thanks Wikipedia.
My opinion: Stick to Low self discharge NiMh cells.