0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

or buy a $5 HDMI cable for even better reliability and performance.

jaysin3000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaysin3000

Does it work with Mac?

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx

Bought this last time around, three of them actually. There were some pros and there were some cons. One of the units would lose signal every 10 to 15 seconds (Woot was great about the return and even sent me a return shipping label, by the way).

The other 2 units work well. To my surprise, there is no perceptible lag. You can actually game with one of these. The picture and sound quality (at least as far as I could tell) are that same as using an HDMI cable. Also, set up could not be easier. All you need to do is connect the receiver to your display via HDMI cable, plug the transmitter into your laptop's HDMI port as well as a free USB port to power it and you're done. From time to time, I would get some artifacts or ghosting on the display the receiver was connected to but it wasn't too frequent and I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that my receiver is mounted near my WiFi router. The description says it won't interfere but I have a 5GHz band router so I seems plausible that it would.

Aside from the defective unit, good purchase overall.

EDIT: For those wondering, yes, this works with a mac, ps3, Xbox 360, and any other device with an HDMI and USB port.

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish

Would this work with the computer in one room and the TV in another?

hcoots

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcoots
queenangelfish wrote:Would this work with the computer in one room and the TV in another?

I had the same question, the specs say it can only transmit around 29 feet I think it was?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
jaysin3000 wrote:Does it work with Mac?

Mac doesn't know what an HDMI connector is, along with USB 3.0, eSata, Blu-ray. Now if the would only come up with state of the art wireless firewire- that would totally appeal to Mac users

goose312

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goose312
queenangelfish wrote:Would this work with the computer in one room and the TV in another?

That is my big question as well. From reading reviews elsewhere online it seems like that's a yes/no type answer. Some state it does work at limited distance through closed doors. Others state it works but eventually gets worse if it doesn't have a direct line between the transmitter and receiver.

Unfortunately I was hoping I could connect this to my PC upstairs to my HD TV downstairs but it seems like this wouldn't work well for that.

DarthVukster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarthVukster

I wonder if this device is only designed for use with a PC, or could I plug it into the HDMI port on my satellite receiver to wirelessly send the signal to my tv?

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

czwick78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages czwick78

I bought one of this last time around and it did work from one room to another (although the specs say that it won't).

Unfortunately something broke in mine after a couple days and now it won't work at all. It worked great for those two days, but it seems like there is a quality control issue with Philips.

czwick78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages czwick78
DarthVukster wrote:I wonder if this device is only designed for use with a PC, or could I plug it into the HDMI port on my satellite receiver to wirelessly send the signal to my tv?

See my above post, but that's how I was using mine. Noted I have a computer next to the DVR to plug the transmitter into for power. A USB cell phone charger might work if you don't have an active USB port nearby.

lrbuchanan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lrbuchanan
goose312 wrote:That is my big question as well. From reading reviews elsewhere online it seems like that's a yes/no type answer. Some state it does work at limited distance through closed doors. Others state it works but eventually gets worse if it doesn't have a direct line between the transmitter and receiver.

Unfortunately I was hoping I could connect this to my PC upstairs to my HD TV downstairs but it seems like this wouldn't work well for that.

I'm hoping to do the same thing. According to the promo video on Amazon, line of sight is not required. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWW1890-27-Wireless-Connect/dp/B005GSYQ1A/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

malizzle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malizzle
tljx wrote:...One of the units would lose signal every 10 to 15 seconds

I bought one last time around and had the same experience. It would work for 5 minutes, then acted like it overheated or something and would keep disconnecting every few seconds. I went a different route and contacted Philips support. After an hour with them, they finally conceded that it was defective and are sending a replacement at no cost. Another interesting sidenote is they said the serial number wasn't valid. The last digit of my serial number looked like it was stamped on separately. Had to send them pictures of the device and box as well as the receipt from Woot before they would even accept it as a return. Makes me wonder if these are counterfeit, although everything else looks legitimate. The box it came in was from Amazon.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

czwick78 wrote:I bought one of this last time around and it did work from one room to another (although the specs say that it won't).

Unfortunately something broke in mine after a couple days and now it won't work at all. It worked great for those two days, but it seems like there is a quality control issue with Philips.

I'm sorry for the problems. Did you contact Philips? It has a one-year warranty.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Dekortage

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dekortage
gak0090 wrote:Mac doesn't know what an HDMI connector is, along with USB 3.0, eSata, Blu-ray. Now if the would only come up with state of the art wireless firewire- that would totally appeal to Mac users

A Mac knows what HDMI is if you buy an adapter for your Mac's mini-Display Port. For example, Monoprice has adapters for HDMI, DVI, Thunderbolt, etc. Heckuva lot cheaper than the Apple versions too.

pllamonica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pllamonica

According to whdi-reviews.com

The best thing about this kit is that it does not require line of sight and can be placed across a distance of 23foot (6 meters) range — which is enough for you to sit on the couch with your laptop and transmit the images to the TV or projector. It is definitely designed to connect devices within the same room.

gak0090

Dekortage wrote:A Mac knows what HDMI is if you buy an adapter for your Mac's mini-Display Port. For example, Monoprice has adapters for HDMI, DVI, Thunderbolt, etc. Heckuva lot cheaper than the Apple versions too.

I know- It's just weird that everyone else uses HDMI and USB 3.0, while Apple clings to Display port and firewire. Sorry- I was trying to be annoying. I even own an IMAC- frustrated though because I love Imovie, but I can't hook up a USB 3.0 external drive (or eSata) to it, and I can't burn blu-ray with it.

Dekortage

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dekortage
gak0090 wrote:I know- It's just weird that everyone else uses HDMI and USB 3.0, while Apple clings to Display port and firewire. Sorry- I was trying to be annoying. I even own an IMAC- frustrated though because I love Imovie, but I can't hook up a USB 3.0 external drive (or eSata) to it, and I can't burn blu-ray with it.

You're right.

With third-party upgrades from OWC and others, you can add eSata to some iMacs. There are external Blu-ray players and burners. And Apple seems to have finally realized the necessity of USB3, at least judging by its inclusion on the latest Mac Mini. But it does seem kinda silly.

gak0090

Dekortage wrote:You're right.

With third-party upgrades from OWC and others, you can add eSata to some iMacs. There are external Blu-ray players and burners. And Apple seems to have finally realized the necessity of USB3, at least judging by its inclusion on the latest Mac Mini. But it does seem kinda silly.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know about OWC and the eSATA thing. I would totally do this for the $170, unfortunately my IMAC is too old (Core 2 duo). Thanks for the link though.