0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

moparman1973

quality posts: 3 Private Messages moparman1973

Does anybody have experience with these? Are they good enough for a main bed or best left for the spare bedroom for the occasional guest?

lpsession

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lpsession
moparman1973 wrote:Does anybody have experience with these? Are they good enough for a main bed or best left for the spare bedroom for the occasional guest?

I've been sleeping on one for several months now. It's holding up really well so far, very pleased with it. However, most of the concern with these beds from past costumers is how they hold up in the long term. Previous discussions have mixed reviews. So far mine has no issues though, very comfortable.

46and2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 46and2

Did I miss it somewhere or does anyone know exactly who makes this one? The Spa Sensations and Aerus Natural at Walmart/Sams Club respectively, get good reviews and are similarly priced.

wootsmittywoot

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootsmittywoot

Does anyone know where one can purchase the bed frame pictured in this Woot ? (or something else that will work with this mattress) (... and what is that under the mattress, a box spring?) Tx!

46and2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 46and2
wootsmittywoot wrote:Does anyone know where one can purchase the bed frame pictured in this Woot ? (or something else that will work with this mattress) (... and what is that under the mattress, a box spring?) Tx!

I know a lot of people use the "Slumber 1" bed frames with memory foam mattresses.

Like these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slumber1-Bed-Frame-Twin-Full/10151232

I have no experience with either product so I cannot comment on the viability with this 8" mattress.

scottman54

quality posts: 34 Private Messages scottman54

I'm no expert on these, but it looks like only the top 2" is memory foam. The rest is other types of foam. So I don't see how this would be much different than just adding a 2" 4lb density topper to your existing mattress.

moparman1973

quality posts: 3 Private Messages moparman1973
wootsmittywoot wrote:Does anyone know where one can purchase the bed frame pictured in this Woot ? (or something else that will work with this mattress) (... and what is that under the mattress, a box spring?) Tx!

Possibly Ikea if you have one nearby? And to me, it looks like a regular box spring under the mattress.

VooDooPC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VooDooPC

I don't own the mattress but I bought one of the pillows when they were on Woot about two years ago and it's been great since then. But holy crap, if it's cold in my room (55-60F) the foam becomes like a rock. I bought it during winter and when I pulled it out of the box I thought Woot sent me a piece of wood or something.

Luckily I'm hot headed, so as it warms up it becomes soft again.

Unfortunately I have nothing useful to say about the mattress itself.

hmd27

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hmd27
moparman1973 wrote:Does anybody have experience with these? Are they good enough for a main bed or best left for the spare bedroom for the occasional guest?

I use mine for the spare bedroom. Everyone raves about it! I don't think I'd use it for my everyday bed, based on what people say...it wears out with constant everyday use. But for a occasional spare bedroom usage, I think you will get your moneys worth. And just so you know, I've slept on it, and the thing is amazingly comfortable! I like it better than my super expensive mattress, but as I said, I think it isn't made for durability.

svbebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages svbebe

What is the density of the memory foam? Pounds/cubic foot? Should be at least 4 pounds per cubic foot for quality memory foam. Unfortunately China is suspect in memory foam density. I have personally seen less than 2 pounds/cubic foot.

Does anyone have the weight of the Queen mattress? I calculate 22.22 cubic feet and therefore it should weigh at least 89 pounds. I would appreciate knowing the weight of anyone's mattress.

masshuum

quality posts: 19 Private Messages masshuum
scottman54 wrote:I'm no expert on these, but it looks like only the top 2" is memory foam. The rest is other types of foam. So I don't see how this would be much different than just adding a 2" 4lb density topper to your existing mattress.

If you had the entire mattress be only the top layer of foam, you'd get no support from it.

So all memory foam mattresses are layered foams and together work well.

A 2" topper on a used coil mattress is only a bandaid. 4 inches would really be the optimal topper. And that's only assuming that the mattress isn't sagging and is otherwise in good condition. No topper can fix a truly bad mattress.

And while foam densities matter, they only really matter if you prefer a softer mattress. For those that appreciate a firmer mattress, 2-3 lbs is more than fine, though 3 is the sweet spot for firm. Also, some Chinese manufactured foam mattresses that claim to have high densities while being really cheap are suspect because they often add clay to fake the spec while not getting the actual feel right. It's those clay additive mattresses that sag, deform, etc. A true foam mattress will hold up for at least a decade, but most have 20 year warranties.

It's safe to say that this is a compromised mattress, however if you're looking at it as a 2-5 year stop-gap or occasionally used guest bedroom, these cheap mattresses work quite well for the money/quality.

billveik

quality posts: 5 Private Messages billveik

I purchased the 10" Sarah Peyton version Sep 2010. At 345 pounds then, I have had no issue with any sort of wear. But to be safe, every so often I will spin the ends 180 degrees to keep the wear even. I use a laptop desk in the bedroom, snd sit on the side of the bed for that, so you would think eventually a permanent depression would get created, but nope. Best mattress I've owned. and at 268 pounds now, the risk of wear continues to drop.

Woo@@@@@@@ooT.........Ooops, was that me?
Beggin' your pardon, it must have been the w@@t soup.

billveik

yes, you use a standard box spring underneath.

billveik

scottman54 wrote:I'm no expert on these, but it looks like only the top 2" is memory foam. The rest is other types of foam. So I don't see how this would be much different than just adding a 2" 4lb density topper to your existing mattress.

Its all dense memory foam. There are just different functions to the layers. This appears to be a 3 inch layer of solid core foam, 3 inches on top of that feature the ribbed channels that allow heat to escape, and 2 inches on that that take the airflow down to the channels to dissipate.

billveik

svbebe wrote:What is the density of the memory foam? Pounds/cubic foot? Should be at least 4 pounds per cubic foot for quality memory foam. Unfortunately China is suspect in memory foam density. I have personally seen less than 2 pounds/cubic foot.

Does anyone have the weight of the Queen mattress? I calculate 22.22 cubic feet and therefore it should weigh at least 89 pounds. I would appreciate knowing the weight of anyone's mattress.

mine was 57 pounds shipped.

QuantumRand

quality posts: 4 Private Messages QuantumRand

I need a new mattress, and I like the idea of memory foam, but I'm concerned about heat. I've heard that memory foam doesn't breathe well, and can make you feel really hot.

Can anyone speak on this with regard to this mattress? I prefer to be on the cooler side when I sleep.

billveik

QuantumRand wrote:I need a new mattress, and I like the idea of memory foam, but I'm concerned about heat. I've heard that memory foam doesn't breathe well, and can make you feel really hot.

Can anyone speak on this with regard to this mattress? I prefer to be on the cooler side when I sleep.

It does take a little to get used to, and having the room temp down a little bit helps. But I did not find it to be a huge issue. Lowering the room temp aids good sleep, so they say. The difference in the function of the layers allows some of the heat to be removed.

halflifesales

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halflifesales
masshuum wrote:If you had the entire mattress be only the top layer of foam, you'd get no support from it.

So all memory foam mattresses are layered foams and together work well.

A 2" topper on a used coil mattress is only a bandaid. 4 inches would really be the optimal topper. And that's only assuming that the mattress isn't sagging and is otherwise in good condition. No topper can fix a truly bad mattress.

And while foam densities matter, they only really matter if you prefer a softer mattress. For those that appreciate a firmer mattress, 2-3 lbs is more than fine, though 3 is the sweet spot for firm. Also, some Chinese manufactured foam mattresses that claim to have high densities while being really cheap are suspect because they often add clay to fake the spec while not getting the actual feel right. It's those clay additive mattresses that sag, deform, etc. A true foam mattress will hold up for at least a decade, but most have 20 year warranties.

It's safe to say that this is a compromised mattress, however if you're looking at it as a 2-5 year stop-gap or occasionally used guest bedroom, these cheap mattresses work quite well for the money/quality.

I use my 8 inch memory foam mattress as a topper for my regular mattress. Use yours this way and never have a complaint again- about anything

BeckiHough

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BeckiHough

We have had a Queen size mattress like this for almost 10 years. It is without a doubt the most comfortable mattress we have ever had, and it shows no wear or sagging, unlike traditional mattress/box springs. We put our mattress on top of a slat bed frame (no box springs needed. We bought ours on Ebay, but the WalMart variety should be fine as well. My husband found it a little too firm, so our solution was a feather topper. This solves two issues. 1) It provides a cloud of softness above a firm mattress, and 2) it creates some air flow, so it doesn't seem as hot. This mattress provides unequaled support. I had some pretty severe back pain before, and none since getting this mattress. I highly recommend it!

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

How funny. My mother and I were just yesterday talking about putting a better mattress in the guest room so she can sleep better on her stays here. That was great timing, Woot!

cheriea99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheriea99

You can purchase bedframes like the one in the picture at nearly any place that has bedroom furniture. Ikea is a fav for me, but Overstock.com has some nice ones and quite a variety. However, you must use a box spring with the foam mattresses when using one of the platform type of bedframes. Typcial platform bedframes only have skinny wood slats that go across the frame to support the mattress, and they will damage a foam mattress, and void warranties. If you insist on going w/o a box spring in a platform bed then at the very least have a strong piece of wood custom cut for covering the full bottom of the platform. There's no guarantee that even doing that will address any warranty concerns.

shoehandbag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shoehandbag
hmd27 wrote:I use mine for the spare bedroom. Everyone raves about it! I don't think I'd use it for my everyday bed, based on what people say...it wears out with constant everyday use. But for a occasional spare bedroom usage, I think you will get your moneys worthz. And just so you know, I've slept on it, and the thing is amazingly comfortable! I like it better than my super expensive mattress, but as I said, I think it isn't made for durability.

shoehandbag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shoehandbag
shoehandbag wrote:

I have. Been sleeping. On my memory foam mattress 2004 and I. Can't. Sleep on any thing else without. My back hurting. I love. It and. I'm. Looking for another one for my other house so when I. Go to stay. At my mothers I have the same mattress. There. I'm. Going to swap. The two and keep new one for my everyday bed and the. Other one for spare room.

jlott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlott

This mattress is not meant to be slept on every night. My wife and I bought this as our first mattress when we got married, and about four months later we were sleeping in a rut in the middle of the bed. Its not that I don't like sleeping close to my wife. I just don't like sleeping uncomfortably next to her. It was very comfortable for the first couple of months, but then just gave in. This might work in a guest bedroom where it is only slept on occasionally, but if you are looking for a comfortable mattress to sleep on every night, "spring" for the higher quality mattresses because you really do get what you pay for.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

I can't say about the full mattress but I can talk about the memory foam 4" topper we have put on our current mattress.

We have been using it for over a year. One thing we had to do was get sheets with deep pockets so they would fit over the topper and the mattress but that was no problem. Our bed has never felt so good. We get great support from the mattress yet great relief from the memory foam. Never wake up with a limb asleep anymore. I think what has helped ours last so long is, about once a month we turn the memory foam. We have a king so it is square and that allows us to make quarter turns each month. Anyway, after a year it still is as good as new. If the full mattresses can stand up like this has, it would be great and I am hoping to also read from owners that have had theirs a long time.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

I've had a memory foam mattress for about 2 years now, and I absolutely love it. So do my cats who are rarely found sleeping anywhere else but on my bed.

Admittedly I did get my mattress from BedInABox.com, so there's an entirely different quality level at play, and I can't speak directly to these particular mattresses.

Memory foam does sleep a good bit warmer than a regular innerspring mattress, so if you're like me and have trouble sleeping when you get too warm, you'll want to go with a lighter weight bed spread. Most comforters will probably be too hot (except maybe in the winter). I got one of the HomeSource Bamboo Coverlets off Woot a couple months back, and it has been pretty much the perfect weight.

Also with memory foam mattresses, you don't want to use a regular box spring underneath the mattress. Foam needs more consistent support over the entire surface of the mattress than a box spring can give. The springs will give and the foam in the mattress will start to sag. That's why these mattresses are primarily used on platform beds that provide a solid platform for the mattress. The folks I bought my mattress from sell a special foundation for their memory foam mattresses (that I bought to go with mine). It's a hardwood frame and the platform that the mattress sits on is a series of 1x3 wooden slats spaced at about 3" apart. I would suggest getting a cheap platform bed at IKEA/Target/Walmart (or a really nice one from somewhere else. ). BedInABox.com also sells platform beds as well as memory foam foundations.

ChronoSquall14

sdownin wrote:
Memory foam does sleep a good bit warmer than a regular innerspring mattress,

So it's a great basement bed. Neat!

woocls

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woocls
billveik wrote:I purchased the 10" Sarah Peyton version Sep 2010. At 345 pounds then, I have had no issue with any sort of wear. But to be safe, every so often I will spin the ends 180 degrees to keep the wear even. I use a laptop desk in the bedroom, snd sit on the side of the bed for that, so you would think eventually a permanent depression would get created, but nope. Best mattress I've owned. and at 268 pounds now, the risk of wear continues to drop.

I use my current mattress like you do, by sitting on the edge. I was really unsure about getting one of these because it lacks edge support like my current mattress. But if you say it's still holding up then I'm in for 1.

ahsussma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahsussma

I bought the 10" version almost exactly three years ago and I'm shopping for a new one. The mattress was extremely comfortable, but it's safe to say that it is now totally worn out. I just hope a new 10" comes up for sale!

sbeleck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sbeleck

I have bought both the 10" and the 8". I have the 10" directly on a futon-style wood slat frame. The 8" is on a box spring. Both very comfortable. The 10" has held up for a couple of years now. I've only had the 8" for about 6 months but so far so good. We have an additional 1" memory foam topper on the 8" for a little more thickness, but we don't need it. We just had it on the old spring mattress so we moved it over to the new one.

I sleep great on these things.

billveik

woocls wrote:I use my current mattress like you do, by sitting on the edge. I was really unsure about getting one of these because it lacks edge support like my current mattress. But if you say it's still holding up then I'm in for 1.

the side quickly pops back up, at least on the 10 inch thickness. And by switching ends occasionally, you end up splitting the wear over both sides.

johnny9k

quality posts: 3 Private Messages johnny9k

We built a platform bed for our memory foam mattress using these instructions:
http://www.myfamilylovesit.com/blog/index.php/2008/01/21/how-to-build-a-platform-bed/

Ugly, but cheap and sturdy. Our mattress was fabulous for a few years and then wore out with a rut developing. Ours was a $1000 name brand mattress, but next time around I'm going for one of the cheaper ones and I will be satisfied if we get 2 or 3 years use out of it. Woot, where is the king sized mattress?

darkinc

quality posts: 31 Private Messages darkinc
QuantumRand wrote:I need a new mattress, and I like the idea of memory foam, but I'm concerned about heat. I've heard that memory foam doesn't breathe well, and can make you feel really hot.

I have a memory foam mattress and can say that they do make you a bit warmer. I sleep in about 55-60*F weather currently on mine and have the occasional night sweat. I cannot say for sure its the mattress, could be anything.

dawglf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawglf

A 90-day warranty for a mattress? That should give you an idea of the quality of the mattress.

woocls

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woocls

Just showed up! It's been stuck in "waiting for shipping" this whole time. So, I really wasn't expecting it today.

mauicruiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mauicruiser

Received mine today too, although the status does not show as shipped yet.

Does anyone know if you can let these reinflate on their sides? I don't have enough floor space to lie it flat for the next couple of days.

bilalnazir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bilalnazir

I also received my mattress earlier today. However, no pillows. Anyone know if they're shipped separately?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bilalnazir wrote:I also received my mattress earlier today. However, no pillows. Anyone know if they're shipped separately?

I believe they do come from different vendors. If you could wait a couple days to see if they show up, that would be great. Shipping might also be delayed by Thanksgiving this week.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ChronoSquall14

My pillows came tucked inside the mattress itself; I didn't even know they were included until I opened it all up, since my mother bought it so she has a more comfortable stay in the guest room when she visits. After about 34 hours, the mattress looks to be about fully restored, one of the pillows is, and the other pillow is still a shrivelled dead thing.