Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

These remind me of the Alien movie series. They never really go away

jabluszko

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jabluszko

Cannot emphasize enough how great the jar opener is. And the red color matches so well my pots and pans. And no more wrist pains and palm blisters. Gorgeous!

Now, if I could only MAKE THAT DAMN CAN OPENER to WORK

ghrrhrrghrr. Now, that feels better.

(For the details, please kindly read the volumes already written on the subject. Anything else I would write here would constitute plagiarism.)

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett

I love this set. I've only used the jar opener a few times, but it has done the trick every time. I've used the can opener probably 75-100 times, and it always works flawlessly...even on cans with a dented edge.

tomc9999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomc9999

Bought this set haven't used jar opener, but the can opener is no damn good.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
mjc613 wrote:These remind me of the Alien movie series. They never really go away

I agree with you so, from another Sci Fi series, "I feel your pain"

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

PRICE COMPARISONS

Today's Woot = $7.99 + $5 shipping

ebay = $14.94 + free shipping. Black only, 8 available.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/181017082295?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
**other ebay vendors (same page) $22.95 - $39.95

Amazon = $17.95 + fee shipping (red only)
http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Sidewinder-Safety-Lidlifter/dp/B007CKEXZO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_2
**other amazon vendors (found on same page) and more colors, $18.75 - $22.95 (may include shipping)

Igarden2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Igarden2

I bought these a few woots! ago. I love both the jar opener and the can opener. My wife, not so much. She can't get the can opener to work. I have no problem. It's a love it or hate it deal. I love both of these openers. My wife likes the jar opener.
For the record, the can opener is the CLEANEST can opener I have ever seen. No mess is left on the opener.

smorrow123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smorrow123

Jar opener is great. The can opener worked ONE time then stopped working. It's not a matter of not knowing how to use it. It just doesn't work!! Waste of money, at least for the can opener.

kkalinoski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kkalinoski

Agreed. I bought 2 sets, jar opener is awesome. Can opener is questionable. I have another smaller can open with the same brand and it works fine. Not sure why these larger ones don't work.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

The can opener is junk, unless you're planning on gifting your MIL.

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill

Not sure why the complaints about the can opener. I had a bit of trouble figuring out the can opener m'self. Then I remembered the old maxim "If all else fails, RTFM (read the f*****g manual)". So I read the instructions. Voila! Worked the first time and every time since. Someone mentioned it breaking down. Regrettably, that is always a possibility. Sorry it happened to you. For 7 bucks you can replace it. Plus have a spare of the other part.

I really like both pf the machines. I like the fact that the can opener produces no sharp edges. The bottle opener really makes things better/easier for my old, increasingly arthritic hands.

thievedrelic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thievedrelic

It's true; the can opener is a total piece of ____. I moved into a new apartment and found my kitchen toolset wanting, so I picked up this set. Had to go buy a real can opener soon after. Total waste.

stco2618

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stco2618

Got one of these Can openers and it didn't work so woot sent out another one and that one works fine.When they work they are awesome!Thanks woot!

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

The only bad part about this type of can opener, is that I had to buy a strainer for tuna. You can no longer use the lid as a press strainer, but the + is the opener no longer smells like tuna.

acanarelli

quality posts: 205 Private Messages acanarelli

While I don't want to "pile on", I can't allow a fellow human being to buy one of these can openers without telling him what to expect. I complained to the manufacturer and they sent me 2 new can openers which they promised to test before mailing. When I received them, not one worked! Woot finally gave me a refund. This device is NOT worth the agg.

jwmccarter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwmccarter

I got one a while back and then several more for gifts in the last sale.

I've not had any problem using the can opener and think it is the greatest. I don't use it exactly the same way as old style can openers. With the old style, I tend to clamp the can opener on the can and use it while holding the can in the air with the can opener.

With these, I support the can either on a flat surface or my leg if I'm sitting. I am careful to keep the can opener aligned so the front points toward the center of the can lid as I turn the handle and move the opener around the can. At the same time I also press down slightly on the opener with my left hand while opening the can just to make certain it is aligned and doesn't ride up (it never has but I feel better with keeping it held firmly on the can). I watch where I first start on the can and as I get all the way around I listen and feel for a slight snap as it completes a full revolution around the lid. Then I start turning it backwards which releases the opener's mechanism. On the side of the can opener is a little gripper which is used to grab, loosen, and lift the now opened lid.

The coolest thing is that the opened lid fits right back on and covers the can without needing a separate lid, foil, or plastic wrap. I often only want to use half a can at a time and I just slip the lid back on it again.

After I've emptied and cleaned out a can, I can put the lid on it again and other people think it is unopened. It's fun to hand or toss the empty can to somebody with them thinking it's full and watch the look on their face as they try to figure out why it doesn't weigh anything and ponder what is going on. What happened to the contents; how did I do that, they always ask.

It's a great way to hide something too -- like all the money I've saved on Woot or that extra set of keys. With a little weight added to the cleaned out can, I'm able to hide it on the back of the pantry shelf and fool everybody to just think it's another can of beans. Haha!

madfrisbee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages madfrisbee

But the really important question is, Does anyone know how I can get a bigger version of that little preview picture?? I NEED to read what's on that can o' Woot! Soup.

mesauter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mesauter

Outspoken Majorities for Government I CAN'T GET THE CAN OPENER TO WORK EITHER. I SIT WITH THE DIRECTIONS IN FRONT OF ME, FEELING LIKE AN pollster...

jabluszko wrote:Cannot emphasize enough how great the jar opener is. And the red color matches so well my pots and pans. And no more wrist pains and palm blisters. Gorgeous!

Now, if I could only MAKE THAT DAMN CAN OPENER to WORK

ghrrhrrghrr. Now, that feels better.

(For the details, please kindly read the volumes already written on the subject. Anything else I would write here would constitute plagiarism.)

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
madfrisbee wrote:But the really important question is, Does anyone know how I can get a bigger version of that little preview picture?? I NEED to read what's on that can o' Woot! Soup.

We can totally ask about this.

I'm just hanging out, really.

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge

Is it possible that all the bad reviews of the can opener are from people who are not using it correctly?

Backstory: I had a "clean edge" type can opener years ago, and it worked completely differently from a normal opener, but I loved it.

I took it to college, and at first my roommate hated it because he couldn't figure it out. Once he did figure it out, he loved it so much he stole it and moved to Mexico, or South Philly maybe.

Anyway, I haven't really thought about can openers since then, except on the rare occasion I open a can of tomato paste and only use half of it. On those days I find myself longing for a time when I could put the lid back on and put it in the fridge, rather than wrap it with foil, a rubber band, and the foolish delusion that I would ever use the other half.

So I would like to buy this, and could use a jar opener, but I don't want to buy it if it really is crap.

TL:DR - Can someone confirm that 1) they do know how to use it, and 2) these really are defective?

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge
madfrisbee wrote:But the really important question is, Does anyone know how I can get a bigger version of that little preview picture?? I NEED to read what's on that can o' Woot! Soup.

From what I can see, it looks like it says:

"May or may not contain monkey bits."

and

"No nutritional value whatsoever."

Mmmm. That sounds good. I'll have that.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
takethemeatbridge wrote:From what I can see, it looks like it says:

"May or may not contain monkey bits."

and

"No nutritional value whatsoever."

Mmmm. That sounds good. I'll have that.

Yup, verified! And the image should be a bit bigger now to make it easier to read!

I'm just hanging out, really.

pukiswife

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pukiswife

If you ask the hubs he'd tell you the can opener is a piece of junk...because he won't listen to my directions and he certainly would NOT read the directions himself. I, however, use this can opener on a near daily basis and have never had issue. I LOVE THIS CAN OPENER.
The jar opener is awesome as well. Works every time without any effort.

linrey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages linrey

Is there an online version of the instruction sheet for the can opener? Might help those who can't find their instructions...

forestplay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forestplay

The jar opener is great and everyone seems to think it's easy to use.

The can opener either works very well for those of use who "get it". Everyone else thinks it's worthless.

I bought this during the last Woot! Now I'm in for 2 more to give as gifts. Included will be personal instruction by me to the recipient.

WildPoneee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WildPoneee

What is the maximum diameter jar size the jar opener will accommodate?

realGaurab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realGaurab

Can you make a video of how you use it and post the link here? I use it every time I need to open any can hoping this might be the time I get it to work but alas, I end up using my old one.

jwmccarter wrote:I got one a while back and then several more for gifts in the last sale.

I've not had any problem using the can opener and think it is the greatest. I don't use it exactly the same way as old style can openers. With the old style, I tend to clamp the can opener on the can and use it while holding the can in the air with the can opener.

With these, I support the can either on a flat surface or my leg if I'm sitting. I am careful to keep the can opener aligned so the front points toward the center of the can lid as I turn the handle and move the opener around the can. At the same time I also press down slightly on the opener with my left hand while opening the can just to make certain it is aligned and doesn't ride up (it never has but I feel better with keeping it held firmly on the can). I watch where I first start on the can and as I get all the way around I listen and feel for a slight snap as it completes a full revolution around the lid. Then I start turning it backwards which releases the opener's mechanism. On the side of the can opener is a little gripper which is used to grab, loosen, and lift the now opened lid.

The coolest thing is that the opened lid fits right back on and covers the can without needing a separate lid, foil, or plastic wrap. I often only want to use half a can at a time and I just slip the lid back on it again.

After I've emptied and cleaned out a can, I can put the lid on it again and other people think it is unopened. It's fun to hand or toss the empty can to somebody with them thinking it's full and watch the look on their face as they try to figure out why it doesn't weigh anything and ponder what is going on. What happened to the contents; how did I do that, they always ask.

It's a great way to hide something too -- like all the money I've saved on Woot or that extra set of keys. With a little weight added to the cleaned out can, I'm able to hide it on the back of the pantry shelf and fool everybody to just think it's another can of beans. Haha!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I have the red set.
The can opener is weird for awhile, then you just get use to it.
It is good if you have arthritis in your hand. Much easier to turn.
Also good if you have kids or animals that might get into the empty cans. No sharp edges to get cut on.

Bottle opener is great!

My set has been great and I'm using it all the time.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

teddyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teddyr

There are some videos out there. Here's one from cooking.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjtjhFVnMI

It's important to know that this opener does not cut the lid or create sharp edges. The can is reclosable. Read the instructions first.

fester69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fester69

better than printed instructions (which i'm sure are also provided on the manufacturer's site below), here is a great video:

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/tools.php3?id=206&show_tab=2

gideon26

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gideon26

The can opener worked great... for about two months, and then it stopped working.

HOWEVER, customer service was AMAZING! I sent the company making them an email, and within a day they were offering to send me a replacement (or an equivalent model; I chose the one with the knob on top rather than the side) free of charge, no questions asked.

I would highly recommend anyone with one that has stopped working to contact them through:

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/about/contact_info.php

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
forestplay wrote:The jar opener is great and everyone seems to think it's easy to use.

The can opener either works very well for those of use who "get it". Everyone else thinks it's worthless.

I bought this during the last Woot! Now I'm in for 2 more to give as gifts. Included will be personal instruction by me to the recipient.

I think there's a third group: those who had one and could work it, but it broke.

I have this set but have only opened two cans and no jars. I have, however, used the bottle opener on the end of the jar opener several times.

The second time I used the can opener was a week after the first time and I had forgotten how. I noticed that the top was printed with concentric rings, just like the top of the can, so I aimed the point at the center of the can so that the arcs on the opener matched the curve of the can.

When I was done at first I didn't think it had worked, but I wiggled a bit with the lid grabber thingy and it popped off.

I hadn't thought about using the lid to reseal the can. I'll do that next time, since my plastic can lids require the lip of the can to snap on.

maggietffh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maggietffh

I bought this the last time around and absolutely love the jar opener. The can opener, when it works, is just great. Unfortunately, it doesn't work maybe half the time, so don't dump your old can opener!

vinylpvc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vinylpvc

I was able to use the can opener first time, everytime.

The jar opener gives me grief. It bites into the edges of the jar lid and doesn't turn. Grrr! So I still have to go to my SO, and he hates being interrupted to open the 1000th jar.

vinylpvc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vinylpvc
WildPoneee wrote:What is the maximum diameter jar size the jar opener will accommodate?

According to the manufacturer's website:
opens threaded caps and lids from 1" to 3 1/2"
works on smooth-sided and grooved caps

mibutterflywingz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mibutterflywingz

So sick of seeing this item.

a04971xx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a04971xx

These are always on here.

iamskypilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamskypilot

The jar opener is good but the can opener is junk. The handle tightens but then spins without opening anything. Buy this for the jar opener but dont waist your money for the can opener