pencilneck

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pencilneck

My wife and I each have one of these and are pretty happy with them. I updated to the latest CM9 on both of them a few weeks ago.

WiFi issues have been long since fixed, mine had trouble keeping connected and an update fixed that many months ago.

IMHO, they are pretty good. I would honestly of used the WebOS more if it web browser did tab browsing. I'm using Maxthon web browser in Android and really like it due to the gestures feature of it..... if I could get that function in WebOS, then I'd use WebOS.

I think the price should be down by now though... for $20 more you can get a new tablet with a faster CPU. This should now be selling for $99, in which case I'd go ahead and purchase a 3rd unit to have on hand.

bunnyb0y

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyb0y
gak0090 wrote:No way. RT will never have the drivers to run this device (this thing is obsolete), even if it was available and possible to put the OS on via loader. Even if they did, this tablet is too under powered for that OS.

HP already did Win8rt testing on this (32GB version) & yes it does work just fine. The problem is that Microsoft isn't selling the RT software directly to the public.

kilbasar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kilbasar

I've had mine since the fire sale, so here's my 2 cents:

1. WebOS works pretty well, and is very intuitive. But there are very few apps, and the web browser is molasses slow and is missing most basic features you would expect.

2. Android on here works superbly. It's incredibly fast, stable, and mature. If you're even moderately tech-capable (which I feel most on woot are), you'll follow a youtube video and be done in 30 minutes.

3. The screen is great, the sound is great, and it feels nice in your hands. Perfect for videos, comics, books, you name it. It's not as thin or light as the newer tablets, but of course, it doesn't cost the same either.

4. There is an issue with the plastic near the speaker grilles cracking. It seems to just be cosmetic though, has no impact on the functionality.

5. The two main HP accessories (the flip-cover case and the touchstone dock) are wonderful, and are must-have for every Touchpad owner.

Renard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Renard
swootton wrote:It has one major flaw if you're a Amazon Prime person. You cannot stream movies in WebOS or Android. It sort of works in Android but not well.

Prime Video works GREAT on my TouchPad, both SD and HD videos. It works almost flawlessly in the WebOS browser, and still works fine in Android.

Also get KalemSoft media player and you can play or stream Divx & MKV movies (and lots of others), or even stream your TV if it's hooked up to your PC.

Ubie

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Ubie

Dear Woot,
Thank you so much for selling out of these before I got home from work today. I have one already, dual-boot to ICS, and was desperately trying to justify the purchase of a 2nd. Now with them sold out I don't have to. Mostly ours gets used by the 5 year old, but I was trying to justify having one all to myself. Seriously, thank you. I did *not* need to spend ~$200 on something I actually already own.

seahawkav8r

quality posts: 2 Private Messages seahawkav8r
tcdrennen wrote:Latest CM9 has the camera working (though 90 degrees rotated.)

Which nightly are you using that has the camera functional?

Sinjz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sinjz

I'm using CM9 on mine. How do I do CM10? I don't see one specifically for the HP Touchpad. Would I have to install additional patches after CM10 to get things on the Touchpad to work?

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
bunnyb0y wrote:HP already did Win8rt testing on this (32GB version) & yes it does work just fine. The problem is that Microsoft isn't selling the RT software directly to the public.

I can't find anything that supports that the touchpad runs "fine" on RT. I found some things that talked about preliminary testing a while ago- but that was the extent of it. I am not aware of any tablets running RT that are less than quad core. In addition, when you look up the minimum specs for RT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT
you will notice
Minimum native resolution for RT/color depth is 1366×768
the touchpad runs at 768x1024 pixels
No- I don't believe that even if RT was available that it could run without serious mods, and even so it won't run well.

glampkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glampkin

I got mine 2 days ago. It is not working. I have a picture of a battery with a question mark. I can not find a phone number to call HP. I sent and email to HP support 2 days ago and have not received a response for my problem. Their online system says that my unit is not under warranty. I sent an email to woot support yesterday that I want to return. I have not received a response.

HELP!

yungdhurt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yungdhurt
glampkin wrote:I got mine 2 days ago. It is not working. I have a picture of a battery with a question mark. I can not find a phone number to call HP. I sent and email to HP support 2 days ago and have not received a response for my problem. Their online system says that my unit is not under warranty. I sent an email to woot support yesterday that I want to return. I have not received a response.

HELP!

Mine was also DOA...let me know what you find out.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

glampkin wrote:I got mine 2 days ago. It is not working. I have a picture of a battery with a question mark. I can not find a phone number to call HP. I sent and email to HP support 2 days ago and have not received a response for my problem. Their online system says that my unit is not under warranty. I sent an email to woot support yesterday that I want to return. I have not received a response.

HELP!

Please allow 24-48 hours for Customer Service to respond. Make sure you check your spam folder for a response too. They gobble us up.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

cwalkerjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwalkerjr
aea414 wrote:A slight word of warning regarding dual booting.

If you dual booth WebOS and Android(in my case CyanogenMOD) there was some issues with the wi-fi driver using more power when booted in to Android vs WebOS.

For some reason, even though there is an option to have Wi-Fi shut off when the device in sleep mode, the wi-fi won't shut off. Still an issue as of late September. I've just gotten into the habit of turning it manually from the power widget if I'm going to set it down for a while.

C. Walker, Jr.

cwalkerjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwalkerjr

I could have sworn the Advanced Browswer for WebOS did tabs...cards worked just as well for me, though.

Is the wi-fi power management working for you with the latest CM9 nightly?

pencilneck wrote:My wife and I each have one of these and are pretty happy with them. I updated to the latest CM9 on both of them a few weeks ago.

WiFi issues have been long since fixed, mine had trouble keeping connected and an update fixed that many months ago.

IMHO, they are pretty good. I would honestly of used the WebOS more if it web browser did tab browsing. I'm using Maxthon web browser in Android and really like it due to the gestures feature of it..... if I could get that function in WebOS, then I'd use WebOS.

I think the price should be down by now though... for $20 more you can get a new tablet with a faster CPU. This should now be selling for $99, in which case I'd go ahead and purchase a 3rd unit to have on hand.

C. Walker, Jr.

glampkin

HELP!

I sent another message to woot asking why I did not get a reply for 2 days. Woot replied that they had replied to my first email a few hours after it was sent. I checked my spam but I did not receive it. This message did not go to spam. I think posting here helped you to find my email.
Woot sent me a return label so I shipped it back on 11/17/12. They say it can take up to 9 days or longer to process the return during the holidays. So maybe I will have my money back by the new year.

I received an email response from HP 7 days after I sent them an email. They asked me to do some things I read about on their support community form. None of that worked for me. I sent them a response that I felt HP customer service did not cut the mustard.
I could get better customer support if I purchased a tablet from China.

Yes I am venting here. I am disappointed that my tablet did not work. I even purchased a case and charger for the tablet. I felt my emails were going into black holes and I now had an expensive paper weight. But I sent it back to Woot and I am now waiting on my refund.

glampkin

Update - I got my woot full refund today, 15 calendar days after I returned it! Before Christmas, now I can go shopping!

glampkin wrote:I sent another message to woot asking why I did not get a reply for 2 days. Woot replied that they had replied to my first email a few hours after it was sent. I checked my spam but I did not receive it. This message did not go to spam. I think posting here helped you to find my email.
Woot sent me a return label so I shipped it back on 11/17/12. They say it can take up to 9 days or longer to process the return during the holidays. So maybe I will have my money back by the new year.

I received an email response from HP 7 days after I sent them an email. They asked me to do some things I read about on their support community form. None of that worked for me. I sent them a response that I felt HP customer service did not cut the mustard.
I could get better customer support if I purchased a tablet from China.

Yes I am venting here. I am disappointed that my tablet did not work. I even purchased a case and charger for the tablet. I felt my emails were going into black holes and I now had an expensive paper weight. But I sent it back to Woot and I am now waiting on my refund.

yungdhurt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yungdhurt
glampkin wrote:Update - I got my woot full refund today, 15 calendar days after I returned it! Before Christmas, now I can go shopping!

Did Wooton tell you that the refund was received? Or did the credit just pop up on your card? I sent mine back around the same time you did and have heard nothing back.

justinables

quality posts: 2 Private Messages justinables
yungdhurt wrote:Did Wooton tell you that the refund was received? Or did the credit just pop up on your card? I sent mine back around the same time you did and have heard nothing back.

A wild CS staff member appeared =)

Looks like you were refunded on 12/3. It can take a few business days for it to post.

Email us at support@woot.com if you have anymore issues.