0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

joybus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joybus

CyanogenMOD 9 and 10 updated regularly for the Touchpad. Dual-booting WebOS and Android. The value can't be beat!

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

gideonfrost

quality posts: 33 Private Messages gideonfrost
joybus wrote:CyanogenMOD 9 and 10 updated regularly for the Touchpad. Dual-booting WebOS and Android. The value can't be beat!

Actually if you had a time machine you could beat it. I got mine during the fire sale for 150. Man that was a crazy night.

But I do have CM9 on my touchpad and do us it a lot more than the WebOS days.

aea414

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aea414

A slight word of warning regarding dual booting.

If you dual booth WebOS and Android(in my case CyanogenMOD) there was some issues with the wi-fi driver using more power when booted in to Android vs WebOS. It eventually caused my 16GB model to never power up again dual to not accepting a charge, even after more than a week of "trickle" charging.(Google "HP Touchpad won't charge" or "won't power up") They might have fixed it by now, but figured I would let people know.

With that said I am still contemplating buy this since it was a great tablet otherwise.

nerdchik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nerdchik

I'm dual-booting mine between WebOS & CyanogenMod9 - works great, but the battery life is much better under WebOS (up to a week on a single charge!).

reverendkyle.com is a great site for info on installing Android on the TouchPad.

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13

Why aren't there any 64GB on these things?

Silly Rabbit......

bunnyb0y

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyb0y

Still waiting to see if Microsoft will sell a Windows 8RT version to the general public. I know HP was testing a 32GB Touchpad w/Win8rt installed.

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant

i've had my touchpad for over a year now (i didn't catch the so-called fire sale, but i got a great deal online shortly thereafter) and i still absolutely LOVE it. i haven't specially engineered it or installed any additional/alternate operating systems, and it suits my daily email, web surfing, and other online needs perfectly. the touchpad also has a fantastic facebook app that is among the best if not the absolute best i've seen on a tablet. the battery life is impressive--it recharges very quickly, too--and the size of the tablet is fantastic for reading e-books and watching movies.

i should probably note that i have no interest at all in most apps people like on their phones and tablets, such as games. if you, like me, mainly need a reliable, portable device for easy access to the Internet, your email platform, digital books (including easy downloads from the amazon kindle store), note taking, music, and movies, but you don't have $600 available for one of those fruity tablets, you should definitely consider this one. <=]

p.s. if you do pick up a touchpad, i highly recommend this case for it; it's currently available for just $7.99 on amazon.com!

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

kennyboy020

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kennyboy020

I bought one of these back in May for $199. It works great, dual booting with CM9. AFAIK they have fixed the dual boot charging issues. Battery usage in CM9 seems a bit high but turn the brightness down and its manageable. I had issues getting it to charge through USB, so I picked up a TouchStone charger along with the HP case on Amazon. Get this while you can, HP aint makin any more!

EDIT:
One point of note is that the camera does not work in Android CM9. It only has one forward facing camera so its not a big deal to me, BYMMV.

ronfronberg

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

While not supporting Hulu out of the box, there is a fix for this.

I am enjoying the one I got.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

The TouchPad really was quite good for its time. Keep in mind it was basically competing with the iPad 1 primarily, which didn't even have a camera and had less RAM, etc, and the TouchPad was a first generation device with additional and improved models planned to follow.

The webOS card interface was, and still is just plain brilliant once you get the hang of it. To this day it still makes more sense and works better for keeping multiple applications/windows open at once than anything I've ever used before or since. For example the "recent apps" in ICS, though usable, feels like a clumsy hack in comparison.

If that id1ot former CEO of HP had stuck with it and put out a TouchPad 2 (or whatever it might have been called) and kept the hardware prices down, even if it meant selling at a small loss initially, webOS could have really been a serious contender to iOS and Android. But instead we now have Windows 8...

On the bright side, webOS still works as well today as it did then; actually better since it received some patches. And dual-booting Android is now simple enough for most any even semi-tech-savvy person to configure.

Still a very solid buy at the firesale prices, and not bad even at this price if you're looking to try something different to play with and dual-boot to get all the Android apps, or if you don't want a ton of apps anyway.

diemlinh7

quality posts: 9 Private Messages diemlinh7

I bought my HP tablet during Black friday a couple years ago for cheap and assumed I could just live with the limited apps available. (I mainly used it for email, comic books reading and rebuilding Lego sets.)

Sorry in advance for this tech-challenged question - but is it worth the effort to install the dual-boot for android? Does that mean the tablet can use all available Android apps after that?

the kids are so bored with my tablet that I was just going to buy them an Ipad during this year's BF. IF i can make this tablet more interesting to them, it would save me a bundle.

Again, sorry for the dumb questions but any input would be very helpful!

Flitterkill

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Flitterkill

In response to those with the battery problems under Cyanogen on the Touchpad.

Agreed but things are much better now under newer builds than a few months ago.

A few things you can do to get days of battery life aside from the usual turn stuff off, turn brightness down.

1) Make sure you are using the newer builds. Much better with battery life.

2) Install Juice Defender (free, Google Play store) Stock settings are fine. Tweak as needed.

Before I went to sleep with the battery at 90%, waking up and seeing battery life at 30%.

Now I have maybe 3-4% drop overnight. Maybe.

I suspect it was a problem with the wi-fi under constant load all night long for who knows what reason. Now my Touchpad just updates every 15/30/60 minutes (forget which) when not in use but still "on".

One bug that remains is the single bottom button notification flashing. Sometimes it doesn't stop flashing and that will kill the battery. Just reboot to clear it keep on trucking.

Side note: PDF viewing with the Touchpad stock software (Palm) was tolerable but awfully slow and stuttery. With Cyanogen and the Android version of Adobe Reader (and all the other pdf readers available) it is like night and day. Fast and responsive.

Put Cyanogen on your Touchpad and don't look back.

EDIT for diemlinh7:

Once you have Cyanogen on dual boot you have an Android tablet. Plain and simple. Enjoy the Google Play store. Enjoy Words with Friends, etc. This is refurbished, and warranty won't help much if they aren't made anymore but for $20 more than the HP firesale price it's still pretty alright.

diemlinh7

quality posts: 9 Private Messages diemlinh7

Thanks very much! (Now I just need to find a kid who's willing to install it for me for $20!)

EDIT for diemlinh7:

Once you have Cyanogen on dual boot you have an Android tablet. Plain and simple. Enjoy the Google Play store. Enjoy Words with Friends, etc. This is refurbished, and warranty won't help much if they aren't made anymore but for $20 more than the HP firesale price it's still pretty alright.[/quote]

flipyjoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flipyjoe

had mine since the fire sale and use it every day. sometimes for hours. for the price you can't beat it.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich

Be careful with how hard you plunk the thing down on its edge ... it was a known problem that the case cracked easily around the speakers.

A protective case is useful, and the original HP case is available on Amazon, more than 70% off.

The HP Touchstone charger is there, too, at 40% off. It makes for very convenient charging ... just set the TouchPad down, and let the juice flow!

tcdrennen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcdrennen
kennyboy020 wrote:I bought one of these back in May for $199. It works great, dual booting with CM9. AFAIK they have fixed the dual boot charging issues. Battery usage in CM9 seems a bit high but turn the brightness down and its manageable. I had issues getting it to charge through USB, so I picked up a TouchStone charger along with the HP case on Amazon. Get this while you can, HP aint makin any more!

EDIT:
One point of note is that the camera does not work in Android CM9. It only has one forward facing camera so its not a big deal to me, BYMMV.

Latest CM9 has the camera working (though 90 degrees rotated.)

canton44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canton44

haha I remember the fire sale..I abused it big time.

Bought 4 x 16gb $99 and 2 x 32gb $149 from bestbuy order online to pick up at store. Used 3 different cards. Then bought 2 x 16gb from barns and noble. I made a killing on eBay.

dalsik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalsik

How does the TouchPad compare vs. picking up a Kindle FireHD or other new Android tablet?

I've got an EntourageEdge that I got from woot. Don't really use it that much so I'm wondering if I'll use the TouchPad any more or I'm just itching to spend cash for no reason.

Flagg

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Flagg
dalsik wrote:How does the TouchPad compare vs. picking up a Kindle FireHD or other new Android tablet?

I've got an EntourageEdge that I got from woot. Don't really use it that much so I'm wondering if I'll use the TouchPad any more or I'm just itching to spend cash for no reason.

The Touchpad makes a very, very good Android tablet. As others have mentioned, it is very fast and stable with the latest versions of CyanogenMod, but keep in mind that installing Android on a touchpad isn't simple. There are many good tutorials and walk throughs, so it certainly isn't rocket science - but just don't expect to be running Android without being willing to spend at least a couple of hours reading up on it.

The difference between this and the Kindle Fire or other 7" tablets is that this is a 9.7" tablet, with all of the good and bad that comes with that form factor. It's a MUCH larger screen (Same size as the iPad.) - but the resolution is only 1024x768, which is the same resolution as the original iPad and the iPad 2. It's fine, but don't expect it to be razor sharp like the newer retina type displays of most modern tablets. It's also substantially larger and heavier - so it's much better for web browsing and multimedia, but nowhere near as portable. 10" sizes are much better for around the house, whereas 7" tablets are easy to take anywhere.

Besides the camera, which just barely works, and may or may not be fixed eventually, everything else works perfectly. With Cyanogenmod, you get a very nice Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sand-which tablet which will run just about everything on Google Play. Streaming video works very well, and it's more than comparable to most other 10" tablets in the $300 range. As long as you accept that your getting a refurb with almost no warranty, and while CM9 is fairly stable and is constantly being updated - you are still running what is effectively beta software that you will need to support for yourself. If you can live with that, then you will not be disappointed, and will be getting a very nice tablet that runs as well as a tablet that sells for twice the price.

Oh, and get the Touchstone Charging Dock. It's the greatest invention in the history of the world, with the only possible exception being cheese that comes out of an aerosol can.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

Why not just buy a Nook color and put CM7 on it and enjoy the only Tablet with an SD card port.

mechanicsc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mechanicsc
Darksoul13 wrote:Why aren't there any 64GB on these things?

HP did make a few 64GB Touchpads before they pulled the plug, but they are quite rare. I don't think they were ever released in the US.

bonniekay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bonniekay

Mine lasted 5 months. But it was fun. I went to YouTube, and Cyanogenmod, and Rootzwiki, and basically got it to run Android ICS. And I'm no techie, I just like to play one occasionally. But the camera never worked in Android, and the sound worked only intermittently. And the original charger cable worked well for a week, and badly for another few, and then not at all. And although it needs 2.1A to charge at a decent rate and I hooked it up to several different 2.1A chargers (including the original) I never got it to pull more than 900mA after that. So every night I turned it off and charged it at 900mA.

And then after 5 months I got a battery symbol with a question mark on my screen, for which apparently there is no solution.

So now I have a 32Gb Xoom, which just works. It has two very nice, working cameras, and sound, and SD and HDMI ports (although, full disclosure, the USB port is just as limited as the touchpad's, and the SD card slot will be supported by software "at some time in the future.") So I guess "just works" is still a bit of an overstatement.

And it is natively Android, and updated to ICS *ALL BY ITSELF* with only a few "OK" clicks from me. Who knew that was possible? Cost a bit more than the touchoad at Newegg (about $220, I think) which has them refurbished periodically. And then I bought the two year warranty, which made it cost almost the same as new. But hey, I like my Xoom a lot. And I'd like to have it for more than five months.

The touchpad was fun, and a good introduction to is hacking for a newbie. But if I had it to do over again...well, I guess I just did have it to do over again, and you see what I chose with hindsight...

UpstateNY Geek/Parent/Gadgetbuff

swootton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swootton

It has one major flaw if you're a Amazon Prime person. You cannot stream movies in WebOS or Android. It sort of works in Android but not well. I've had mine since the last $199 deal and it's a great tablet for everything except that.

BTW, mine does not charge on the touchstone I bought. Been back to HP twice and works for 3-5 days then stops. I gave up and just plug the cable in. HP support sucks for warranty repairs. I had to argue and provide proof that the Woot website said HP warranty. They insisted that HP doesn't reman/warranty this item any more.

acraigl

quality posts: 38 Private Messages acraigl

I got one on the first fire-sale so many months ago, and I really enjoyed it with CM7-CM9, and never really used WebOS.

I flipped it on ebay a few weeks ago in favor of the Asus Infinity Pad, and the differences are a mile wide. A whole pound lighter, resolution, screen brightness, etc.

Not saying the Asus is $300 better (it is) but there are better options out there than the TouchPad nowadays, for a few more bucks. I would keep walking if I were in the market for a tablet.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Previous woot almost 400 comments: $15 more then at $194.99
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5002114

cpone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpone
aea414 wrote:A slight word of warning regarding dual booting.

If you dual booth WebOS and Android(in my case CyanogenMOD) there was some issues with the wi-fi driver using more power when booted in to Android vs WebOS. It eventually caused my 16GB model to never power up again dual to not accepting a charge, even after more than a week of "trickle" charging.(Google "HP Touchpad won't charge" or "won't power up") They might have fixed it by now, but figured I would let people know.

With that said I am still contemplating buy this since it was a great tablet otherwise.

Hey man, I had the same issue with it not charging up. You are completely right that the wifi sucks the battery right up. But you need to try trickle charging again. Connect the USB to your PC, the start doing the hustle with the power and home button reset. It will eventually come back on. Took a few hours in my case of doing the slow trickle power and the button hustle. GL.

Otherwise everyone, this is a GREAT value for something that has the exact specs as the iPad for a fraction of the cost.

Darksoul13

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Darksoul13
mechanicsc wrote:HP did make a few 64GB Touchpads before they pulled the plug, but they are quite rare. I don't think they were ever released in the US.

I did get one but wanted to get another for x-mas.

Silly Rabbit......

westz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages westz

Lost me when I read "Amazing sound quality" and "Beats Audio" in the same sentence.

bhaschalk

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bhaschalk

Thanks for all the feedback people - I always rely on the collective woot-comments to help in my decision to purchase. I've been waiting for a decently priced tablet for the wife for Christmas.
Thanks again!!

tenaciousmonkey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenaciousmonkey

We bought one of these during the last woot sale @ $199. Have had issues with it since day 1. Don't know if we got a bad refurb or what, but we ran into the issue where it goes into permanent standby, and the only way to recover is a soft reset (hold the power/home buttons until it restarts; this was on WebOS). Threw CM 9 on to hopefully fix this, which it did not (its been worse). Now the speakers and headphone jack don't work in either OS. When it works, it's a very good pad, and it served its purpose (showed us we would actually use one). If not for the issues we had, I would be happy with it, but as it is, I'm looking for a new Android tablet.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

I really like mine. I haven't removed WebOS just yet as it's really OK for what I need a tablet/pad for - but my biggest complaint (and possible push-point to try Android) is that the browser isn't very compatible with lots of "current content".

There's no NetFlix app/client and that's a bummer too.

This case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055QYJKG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01
Is cheap (as in price) and quite nice.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

steelersluver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steelersluver
casey00001 wrote:Why not just buy a Nook color and put CM7 on it and enjoy the only Tablet with an SD card port.

Toshiba Thrive has an SD card port.

Mouthliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mouthliquor

I always bring up the fact that there are so many refurbished HP devices for sale, that it says something about the quality they ship out. On the positive side of that though, if you think about it, you're probably better off getting the refurbished item, because then it's gone through their version of "quality assurance" - ship it and let the customer test it to see [s]if there's something[/s] what's wrong with it.

pgdetoma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pgdetoma
bunnyb0y wrote:Still waiting to see if Microsoft will sell a Windows 8RT version to the general public. I know HP was testing a 32GB Touchpad w/Win8rt installed.

HP is no longer in the mobile market and will not have an Win 8 RT tablet. The HP ElitePad will be available in January and is a commercial tablet available only through HP.com and commercial re-sellers. It will have Win8 Pro.

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

I am waiting for the new app flood, since WebOs went open source, before attempting the cygenmod and bricking my pad.

Bueller?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll

COMPARISONS

Today's Woot = $179.99 = $5.00 Shipping **Refurbished**

Raykuten Buy.Com = $219.00 + $4.99 shipping **Refurbished**
http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-fb356ut-9-7-led-32gb-slate-tablet-wi-fi-qualcomm-snapdragon-apq8060/222584418.html

ebay = $183.09 + free shipping **Refurbished**
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchPad-Wi-Fi-32GB-9-7-Inch-Tablet-WebOS-FB356UT-ABA-/350636424130?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item51a38f3bc2

ebay = $159.95 + $19.95 shipping **Manufacturer refurbished**
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchPad-FB356UT-32GB-Wi-Fi-9-7in-Glossy-Black-/160915952157?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3247062382230014118%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D350636424130%26

All comparisons are for refurbs. Note, one ebay price is including shipping totals a little less than the Woot offer. Also, it is listed as a 'Manufacturer' Refurb. Woot does not state where the refurb was done of today's offer. This may or may not be significant to a buyer.

maninblack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maninblack

Bought two of the 32GB models during the fire sale, and haven't had any problems at all. Still running CM7, only because I've been too lazy to move up to CM9. Even with two, I'm tempted to buy another.

shabazz18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shabazz18
Mouthliquor wrote:I always bring up the fact that there are so many refurbished HP devices for sale, that it says something about the quality they ship out. On the positive side of that though, if you think about it, you're probably better off getting the refurbished item, because then it's gone through their version of "quality assurance" - ship it and let the customer test it to see [s]if there's something[/s] what's wrong with it.

I'd bet most were sent back because of the speaker bezel issue. The same issue that this 16gb fire sale model has that I'm posting this with. The hardware is, however, very solid otherwise. I don't need another tablet, but its still very hard not to buy this 32gb.