2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey

I have a couple of the 64GB from previous Woots. Whilst I haven't had the "brick" problem mentioned elsewhere, I have had the (very) "slow" problem ...

tomcdermot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomcdermot

What's the point of paying extra for a waterproof flash drive. I've had a couple get dunked or washed. Stick them in a bag of rice for a day and they all work fine with no data loss yet.

JYoung

quality posts: 6 Private Messages JYoung
jjfahey wrote:I have a couple of the 64GB from previous Woots. Whilst I haven't had the "brick" problem mentioned elsewhere, I have had the (very) "slow" problem ...

I've had the brick issue and Google suggests it's widespread.

I can't recommend these drives.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

As a tiny word of warning, Centon is (kinda) Fry's Electronics' "house" brand.

So far, buying from Fry's Electronics, (there is a grocery store here in Az, also named Fry's Food) my success rate is, uh, about 0.000.

Of course, YMMV. (Your mileage may vary.)

My success rate at Fry's food, is about 0.998

steve

joshualan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshualan

10MB read speed and 5MB write speed? Granted, it is a 128GB flash drive but this is rather slow.

Highly suggest getting a 3.0 USB or even an external hard drive (those have around 40MB speeds) if you want to store data and relatively decent access speed.

thechui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thechui

HA! Waterproof USB memory sticks... I have a half gigabite memory stick from the early 2000's that I put through the washer and dryer, went kayaking with, and left outside in both freezing Canadian winter and scorching hot Texas summer over day and night. STILL WORKS. and that one isn't even marked as "sport" or "waterproof" or anything.

rubish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rubish
skou wrote:As a tiny word of warning, Centon is (kinda) Fry's Electronics' "house" brand.

So far, buying from Fry's Electronics, (there is a grocery store here in Az, also named Fry's Food) my success rate is, uh, about 0.000.

Of course, YMMV. (Your mileage may vary.)

My success rate at Fry's food, is about 0.998

steve

dougchapin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dougchapin

Is my math right - to write the whole 128GB it would take a little over 7 hours? That's just silly.

rubish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rubish
rubish wrote:

I too have had bad experiences w/ Fry's not standing behind what they sell, and as a result will no longer have anything to do with them. Fry's Food however does have the Best fried chichen, and they gurantee it--or your money back. LUV Them!!

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
rubish wrote:I too have had bad experiences w/ Fry's not standing behind what they sell, and as a result will no longer have anything to do with them. Fry's Food however does have the Best fried chichen, and they gurantee it--or your money back. LUV Them!!

I'd argue with that.

I have the best fried chicken! :D

(They DO have a GOOD money-back guarantee, though.) Wish their electronic bretheren did!

Yes, they spring from the same genes. Google them.

steve

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

cad3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cad3
dougchapin wrote:Is my math right - to write the whole 128GB it would take a little over 7 hours? That's just silly.

Your math is right. It's pretty absurd.

I thought I'd save myself a little $$ last year and got a class 4 SD card instead of class 10, because I planned to put some music on it and never read/write to the card again. It was annoying as F* loading it the first time that I'd say, "JUST DON'T DO IT". Spend a bit more for some descent speeds.

At this point in the game, you should not be buying anything but USB 3.0

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

5MB/s write, 10MB/s read, in what world is that 'Sporty'?

demee007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demee007
cad3 wrote:Spend a bit more for some descent speeds.

Shouldn't you be spending more for ascending speeds? Or you could just, you know, not butcher the English language.

marjk74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marjk74

on another note it works great with a jailbroken ipad and camera kit!!!!

joecooool

quality posts: 23 Private Messages joecooool

I use my iPhone now as a portable hard drive. I don't think most people realize it can be used as such.

glubash

quality posts: 11 Private Messages glubash
tomcdermot wrote:What's the point of paying extra for a waterproof flash drive. I've had a couple get dunked or washed. Stick them in a bag of rice for a day and they all work fine with no data loss yet.

I agree. The dryer is what kills them, not the water.

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii

Centon 64Gb unit was so slow it was useless.

soadnathan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soadnathan

Going to go ahead and reveal that the sporty part of 5 write and 10 read is the Special Olympics...

YnotBeHappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YnotBeHappy

Just a heads up: I have the 64gb version and it died within a couple months. I noticed odd transfer speeds with it: It would start transferring around (kid you not) 100+mb and then tapper off to around 5mb rather quickly. After transferring a few items back and forth, less than 10gb total, it died. Contacted Centon, they sent me a brand new one, and I haven't used it yet.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

If I plug this into a laptop with a 120gb hdd, will my laptop be sucked into the flash drive?

madbasher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madbasher
johnt007871 wrote:If I plug this into a laptop with a 120gb hdd, will my laptop be sucked into the flash drive?

yeah, i beleive this thing has that capability

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
joshualan wrote:10MB read speed and 5MB write speed? Granted, it is a 128GB flash drive but this is rather slow.

Highly suggest getting a 3.0 USB or even an external hard drive (those have around 40MB speeds) if you want to store data and relatively decent access speed.

USB 3.0 will help if your USB 2.0 bus is at its limit. If you have a crappy memory controller on a cheap stick USB stick, all that USB 3.0 gives you is a marketing gimmick.

captainpooka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainpooka
skou wrote:I'd argue with that.

I have the best fried chicken! :D

(They DO have a GOOD money-back guarantee, though.) Wish their electronic bretheren did!

Yes, they spring from the same genes. Google them.

steve

He said chichen, not chicken. It's almost the same, but much more vulger.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Had to format my 64gb to get it work with my Mac

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

Daveymars

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Daveymars

I'm buying a car with a USB port that says it will find the music on a stick. I'm wondering would this be fast enough to work for this type of application. The idea being that I'd put my tunes on it in folders according to Artist/Album/track plug it into the car and forget it... do we think it could work?

bayjacob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bayjacob
joecooool wrote:I use my iPhone now as a portable hard drive. I don't think most people realize it can be used as such.

Lol, u mac users and ur "innovations". might i ask why u need a $600 iphone as a portable hd?

bayjacob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bayjacob
Daveymars wrote:I'm buying a car with a USB port that says it will find the music on a stick. I'm wondering would this be fast enough to work for this type of application. The idea being that I'd put my tunes on it in folders according to Artist/Album/track plug it into the car and forget it... do we think it could work?

If ur going to put it in ur car, go and get an SSD, and put it in a portable case. Faster, and safer... Unless u dirve like my grandma...

Daveymars

bayjacob wrote:If ur going to put it in ur car, go and get an SSD, and put it in a portable case. Faster, and safer... Unless u dirve like my grandma...

Well... uh ;) I am kinda slow and cautious on the road. I am known to have patience. So if it would work and not be skipping out in the middle of songs, I'd be ok with it... but... SsD's are kinda expensive yes?

fedric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fedric
Daveymars wrote:Well... uh ;) I am kinda slow and cautious on the road. I am known to have patience. So if it would work and not be skipping out in the middle of songs, I'd be ok with it... but... SsD's are kinda expensive yes?

The price is starting to come down. I just got a 2.5" 60gb SSD to replace my spinner that came with my Samsung laptop. I then replaced the ODD with a caddy to hold a 1tb spinner which did cost roughly double what the SSD did. $40 for the SSD I got, $30 if I was willing to wait for the mail in rebate, which I'm not for $10... they can just keep it. It was worth the money to me, it just has to be worth it to you.

rckwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckwoot
glubash wrote:I agree. The dryer is what kills them, not the water.

I had one go through both the washer and dryer, twice. Still worked just fine. First time I found it loose in the dryer. The second time it fell from a pocket as I hung the pants on a hangar.

virtual1one

quality posts: 6 Private Messages virtual1one

I own two of the 64's now and they work great. Speed is much faster than quoted, I have no idea why some of you are getting the slower speeds. Windows issue maybe. I can write at over 10MB/sec and read at more than 20. (macintosh) This 128 is a great deal and I'd get one if I had a need for it, but this 64 isn't even close to full with my service tools. The other 64 is just a spare.

cfranz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfranz

Is there anyone out there who actually likes these things?

gty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gty
johnt007871 wrote:If I plug this into a laptop with a 120gb hdd, will my laptop be sucked into the flash drive?

Yes, this flash drive does indeed suck that much.

Daveymars

fedric wrote:The price is starting to come down. I just got a 2.5" 60gb SSD to replace my spinner that came with my Samsung laptop. I then replaced the ODD with a caddy to hold a 1tb spinner which did cost roughly double what the SSD did. $40 for the SSD I got, $30 if I was willing to wait for the mail in rebate, which I'm not for $10... they can just keep it. It was worth the money to me, it just has to be worth it to you.

Eh. I'll have a car payment LOL so... prolly not... for me but... VERY spiffy solution for you! YAY!

froggersloth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages froggersloth

I ordered a 64GB version. Within a week the drive had been lost, found, and then lost again. I still have no idea where it is. These drives obviously have a defect that makes them prone to being lost. DON'T BUY.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
captainpooka wrote:He said chichen, not chicken. It's almost the same, but much more vulger.

But does it taste like chicken?

rbcarpenter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbcarpenter
Daveymars wrote:I'm buying a car with a USB port that says it will find the music on a stick. I'm wondering would this be fast enough to work for this type of application. The idea being that I'd put my tunes on it in folders according to Artist/Album/track plug it into the car and forget it... do we think it could work?

Have reformatted the stick and does not work for me. Have Ford Fusion with Sync and voice nav. Good Luck

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt

The chances are about 50-50.