Suddenly, batteries!

I'm just hanging out, really.

DrunkCat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrunkCat

That was... strange.

Relax.

billlh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billlh

Weren't these just on here a couple days ago?

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14
inkycatz wrote:Suddenly, batteries!

It's super effective!

curvin777

quality posts: 3 Private Messages curvin777

How unWootly for that to happen...

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Yikes - beware - I hear the chargers for these batteries are really bad. For some reason Duracell discontinued the good charger that allowed you to individual charge up to 4 batteries at a time, the remaining ones only work in pairs.

Wish I had not pulled the trigger, I won't be able to find a decent recharger for these.

jkump150

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jkump150
NascarDad wrote:Yikes - beware - I hear the chargers for these batteries are really bad. For some reason Duracell discontinued the good charger that allowed you to individual charge up to 4 batteries at a time, the remaining ones only work in pairs.

Wish I had not pulled the trigger, I won't be able to find a decent recharger for these.

I have one of these chargers, do you know if it will work with these batteries? It looks like they are NiMH. I try to recharge batteries in pairs.

woot charger

NascarDad

For those who need a charger, and don't want to use the Duracell ones (most of the available ones dont have independent charging channels , and many of them are timer based, not "smart" ), consider the following Sony model http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GS6FIE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It seems to be the most reasonably priced recharger with independent channels and ability to handle more than just standard US voltage. However I do not think it has individual charge indicators to tell when each battery is done, but for 12 bucks it is about the best value priced charger, ratings wise.

jscopacasa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jscopacasa
NascarDad wrote:Yikes - beware - I hear the chargers for these batteries are really bad. For some reason Duracell discontinued the good charger that allowed you to individual charge up to 4 batteries at a time, the remaining ones only work in pairs.

Yeah I would definitely recommend upgrading to a smart charger. I had nothing but trouble with rechargeables in general because I always used the crappy "dumb" chargers they give you. Recently I've upgraded to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351113960&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+charger+la+crosse

Since I've been using a "smart" charger I have not had any issues with my rechargeable battery performance.

I think what happens is that one cell becomes more discharged than the others, and a dumb charger is just charging the group at 240ma/hr, so your batteries are never individually getting charged to their max potential. When you go to use them, one is less charged than the others and the group then performs poorly. You also have no feedback on which cells have less capacity than the others.

FYI - There are also some really informative (and technical) comments on amazon (at the link above) if you are bored and/or interested.

[mod note: i made it a clickable linky.]

NascarDad

jscopacasa wrote:Yeah I would definitely recommend upgrading to a smart charger. I had nothing but trouble with rechargeables in general because I always used the crappy "dumb" chargers they give you. Recently I've upgraded to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351113960&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+charger+la+crosse

Since I've been using a "smart" charger I have not had any issues with my rechargeable battery performance.

I think what happens is that one cell becomes more discharged than the others, and a dumb charger is just charging the group at 240ma/hr, so your batteries are never individually getting charged to their max potential. When you go to use them, one is less charged than the others and the group then performs poorly. You also have no feedback on which cells have less capacity than the others.

FYI - There are also some really informative (and technical) comments on amazon (at the link above) if you are bored and/or interested.

That looks like a very good charger and has good ratings. I just bought a cheaper one that is well rated and will do the job but doesn't have as many bells and whistles, I may buy this one next month when I get another paycheck between me and recent large purchases

decst19

quality posts: 1 Private Messages decst19

A few thoughts on chargers and one critical thought about these batteries at the end:

Using a brand specific charger to charge batteries is unwise. I agree with the above, get a smart charger. There are tons of them out there and as long as they charge each individual battery AND have slow and fast charging capabilities (look up HI TECH, POWEREX, LA CROSSE, etc) you will be fine.

As far as these specific batteries go, I wouldn't be very excited by the low amperage. 800mAh is low for a AAA battery. batteries in the 950mAH to 1100mAh are much more standard these days. These are likely to discharge quickly under any heavy use. Also, the low mAh of these batteries will require you to charge them on a slower charge setting. When you charge these amp batteries on a higher setting (and this is the case referred to above) they can get hot, reducing battery life and in some cases get hot enough to melt or be a fire hazard.

If you need some spares cells just for back ups or you're using these for TV/media remotes these are an OK deal. Otherwise, I'd sit this one out.

magnoliasouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages magnoliasouth

I have the charger and the AA 'stay charged' batteries (all Duracell) and I love them! They're great for Cameras, not so much for something you frequently use like a gaming console controller.

These do hold a charge when not in use, but I've not tested it out over a long period yet. I bought my rechargeables in July of this year.

I am all over this one. I've been waiting until I saw them on sale and this is the day.

I cannot recommend it enough!

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

Could you charge them with this?

http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5203314&pageindex=1&replycount=52

killme

quality posts: 3 Private Messages killme
magnoliasouth wrote:I have the charger and the AA 'stay charged' batteries (all Duracell) and I love them! They're great for Cameras, not so much for something you frequently use like a gaming console controller.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the purpose of rechargeable batteries? To use them in something you use frequently? I got the hybrid "stay charged" batteries to replace the older NiMH batteries for my game controllers because they would die within a short time whether they were used or not. These "stay charged" batteries work much better for my game controllers.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Lots of comments, starting with the last non-woot-off sale also for $12.99:
http://sellout.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5190049

including mine, which linked back to more woots

whatsamattaU wrote:Here's the previous woot for more comments, if people want:
http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5117589

the more recent previous wootoff had fewer comments but $2 more at $14.99
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5176759

and so on, and so on,....

boohiney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boohiney
decst19 wrote:A few thoughts on chargers and one critical thought about these batteries at the end:

Using a brand specific charger to charge batteries is unwise. I agree with the above, get a smart charger. There are tons of them out there and as long as they charge each individual battery AND have slow and fast charging capabilities (look up HI TECH, POWEREX, LA CROSSE, etc) you will be fine.

As far as these specific batteries go, I wouldn't be very excited by the low amperage. 800mAh is low for a AAA battery. batteries in the 950mAH to 1100mAh are much more standard these days. These are likely to discharge quickly under any heavy use. Also, the low mAh of these batteries will require you to charge them on a slower charge setting. When you charge these amp batteries on a higher setting (and this is the case referred to above) they can get hot, reducing battery life and in some cases get hot enough to melt or be a fire hazard.

If you need some spares cells just for back ups or you're using these for TV/media remotes these are an OK deal. Otherwise, I'd sit this one out.

boohiney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boohiney
boohiney wrote:

Without a doubt the Powerex smart charger is the only charger to even consider. forget the rest

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
boohiney wrote:Without a doubt the Powerex smart charger is the only charger to even consider. forget the rest

La Crosse Technologies is also highly rated.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

mckitrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mckitrick

Are these the white top Japanese made ones? They're essentially the same as Eneloops if so. Lovingly called Duraloops.

editorkid

quality posts: 94 Private Messages editorkid

So is sellout the new moofi now?

magnoliasouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages magnoliasouth
killme wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the purpose of rechargeable batteries?

Yes, good point.

It's odd though because these batteries last longer in my camera than regular batteries, but die much more quickly than regular batteries in my game controller. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's my controller?

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.