2%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

magicwiser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages magicwiser

I have always wanted one but been too scared to pull the trigger. Anyone have any user experience with this model?

gruisinger

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gruisinger

I'm having trouble believing this:

no interference from Wi-Fi networks or microwaves

based on this:

Operating Frequencies: 5.15 - 5.25GHz / 5.725 - 5.825GHz

If you use 802.11n WiFi with dual radios, it is possible to have conflicting frequencies.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

msujp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msujp
whatsamattaU wrote:Previous woot was $99.99, $20 more:
http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5123863

Does this work with plex, or playon?? Or any other programs that will put channels thru it?

milk195

quality posts: 1 Private Messages milk195

Here's a link to a pretty thorough review. The only real negatives were that it was expensive at full retail price, and that their review model would get hot during use:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/wifi/philips-wireless-hd-net-connect-sww1890-27.aspx

ajs7908

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajs7908

Can i use this with my iPad?

althepal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages althepal

Will it work with a mac?

Albert1690

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Albert1690

Would anybody happen to know if instead of connecting the transmitter to a PC, it can be connected to the HDMI output of, let's say, an Xbox or Blu-ray player (assuming that the USB connection is only for power input and it can be connected to ports on the Xbox or Blu-ray player as well)? I have a projector and it's such a hassle to move my Xbox or Blu-ray player and get them connected to enjoy games or movies, so this would be perfect if it worked that way.

kimcheesan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kimcheesan
ajs7908 wrote:Can i use this with my iPad?

No, you need to have an HDMI port.

kimcheesan

althepal wrote:Will it work with a mac?

If it has an HDMI port, then yes.

If it has only DisplayPort, then no.

If you're thinking of using a DisplayPort-->HDMI adapter, then maybe. You'll probably get video, and might/might not get sound. But your chances are better than trying to make it out of Vegas in the black.

kimcheesan

msujp wrote:Does this work with plex, or playon?? Or any other programs that will put channels thru it?

Should work just fine. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

kimcheesan

Albert1690 wrote:Would anybody happen to know if instead of connecting the transmitter to a PC, it can be connected to the HDMI output of, let's say, an Xbox or Blu-ray player (assuming that the USB connection is only for power input and it can be connected to ports on the Xbox or Blu-ray player as well)? I have a projector and it's such a hassle to move my Xbox or Blu-ray player and get them connected to enjoy games or movies, so this would be perfect if it worked that way.

As long as it has an HDMI port and a USB port (to provide power to the transmitter), then it should work.

jp01104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jp01104

I bought one at $99 on the last woot. I have it pluged into a hdmi port on a pioneer receiver to a panasonic plasma it works like a charm. I have also pluged it into a desktop no problem.

oelschlegel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oelschlegel

is this hdcp compatible?

woots: 16x1 2x2 3x3 ($1712.24)
shirt.woots: 16x1 2x2 1x3 ($255)
sellout.woots: 11x1 1x2 0x3 ($1064.88)
kids.woots: 11x1 2x2 0x3 ($559.85)
home.woots: 1x1 0x2 0x3 ($44.99)
all told i have wasted $3636.96 on this site

mdickinson

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdickinson

I'm confused - Why would anyone buy this instead of a Roku box - which is $49 and does everything this does, PLUS allows you to watch Netflix and Amazon movies on your tv ?

Zippy The Pinhead

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Zippy The Pinhead
mdickinson wrote:I'm confused - Why would anyone buy this instead of a Roku box - which is $49 and does everything this does, PLUS allows you to watch Netflix and Amazon movies on your tv ?

Are you saying the Roku can stream content from a laptop to a TV? I have not seen any documentation to verify that. Please expound.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

ksheeha1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ksheeha1

I agree. I use my Roku with Playon to stream media from my computer. It also works with Plex.
It's less expensive and does more.

mdickinson wrote:I'm confused - Why would anyone buy this instead of a Roku box - which is $49 and does everything this does, PLUS allows you to watch Netflix and Amazon movies on your tv ?

furrious10990

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furrious10990

I have 25 foot long HDMI cable that I connect to my PC to watch content on my TV. Why is this unit necessary, other than neatness?

slmccormick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slmccormick
kimcheesan wrote:If it has an HDMI port, then yes.

If it has only DisplayPort, then no.

If you're thinking of using a DisplayPort-->HDMI adapter, then maybe. You'll probably get video, and might/might not get sound. But your chances are better than trying to make it out of Vegas in the black.

MacBook Pros started having audio over display port/HDMI around late 2009. I have a mid 2009 MBP and barely missed it. That's the only reason I remember this.

Edit:
On the MBPs it's mid 2010. Here is the knowledge base article. It was late 2009 for the iMacs.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241

mistryhjm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistryhjm

Does this work on a computer without a HDMI Output port?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

furrious10990 wrote:I have 25 foot long HDMI cable that I connect to my PC to watch content on my TV. Why is this unit necessary, other than neatness?

If you have a son like mine that trips on flat surfaces, the last thing you want is a cable out in the open.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

madpoet

quality posts: 4 Private Messages madpoet

Was all set to pull the trigger until I saw it won't do 3d content HP's does.

shondra15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shondra15

I've been wanting one of these ever since I first saw Woot post a refurb for I believe $100 a little while back. Not wanting a refurb and not wanting to spend the extra to get a new one off of Amazon, I'm glad I waited because this is a great deal. Currently $124.99 on Amazon.

sagce

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sagce

I have a model from 2 years ago - bought it a Sam's and they sold out within days and never got any more - I have my house as wireless and bluetooth as possible - making another t.v. wireless with this model-take it at this price -

pnixon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pnixon
ksheeha1 wrote:I agree. I use my Roku with Playon to stream media from my computer. It also works with Plex.
It's less expensive and does more.

I have a Roku and sure wish it had a YouTube channel - mostly for music video performances. Is Playon a software program that would expand its capability to watch YouTube on my TV? That would be too cool.

cpone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cpone

This thing seems rather useless. Sounds like you can accomplish the same exact thing with just a regular HDMI Cable and a wireless keyboard and mouse. This would make infinitely more sense if it connected to your home server and streamed movies from there without it having to take up an HDMI slot from your server.

darkdealer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darkdealer

I am looking to use this on the family computer located in a different room from the main tv. I was curious if I could connect to the tv with adapter using a laptop with native widi as well?

pnixon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pnixon
pnixon wrote:I have a Roku and sure wish it had a YouTube channel - mostly for music video performances. Is Playon a software program that would expand its capability to watch YouTube on my TV? That would be too cool.

Playon's website has answered my question, but I don't want to pay monthly for their service. Is Plex free? And does the same stuff?

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg

I don't see how this product is confusing people. Just think if it as a wireless HDMI cable. It's not a streamer.

holmesla327

quality posts: 1 Private Messages holmesla327
pnixon wrote:Playon's website has answered my question, but I don't want to pay monthly for their service. Is Plex free? And does the same stuff?

Plex is free and a really great channel to have if you have a ROKU. I use it daily.

This device on the other hand is tempting because it will allow me to stream online content not available through ROKU channels.

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog

I just plug my computer into the tv's HDMI and use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

roboballs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roboballs

Why do they tout this only for watching what's on a PC when connections are HDMI? Doesn't it just throw any content from an HDMI source to the receiver plugged into an HDMI display? I would think using this off a cable box would be at least as useful as a PC. Am I missing anything or would that work fine?

whitehatsforhire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitehatsforhire
althepal wrote:Will it work with a mac?

I would recommend apple tv instead

You must not be holding your face right.

tankertux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tankertux
Zippy The Pinhead wrote:Are you saying the Roku can stream content from a laptop to a TV? I have not seen any documentation to verify that. Please expound.

You can stream content from a laptop to Roku via Plex (plexapp.com). The server installs on your laptop, while Roku has a channel client to access media served by your laptop.

wolke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolke
roboballs wrote:Why do they tout this only for watching what's on a PC when connections are HDMI? Doesn't it just throw any content from an HDMI source to the receiver plugged into an HDMI display? I would think using this off a cable box would be at least as useful as a PC. Am I missing anything or would that work fine?

the dongle part needs usb power. not all set top boxes have a usb port. of course, you can power it separately, but it makes less sense if you need a wire.

stickmanftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stickmanftw
kimcheesan wrote:No, you need to have an HDMI port.

What about with the iPad HDMI adapter?

holmesla327

quality posts: 1 Private Messages holmesla327
tankertux wrote:You can stream content from a laptop to Roku via Plex (plexapp.com). The server installs on your laptop, while Roku has a channel client to access media served by your laptop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the big difference between this and a ROKU w/Plex is that you have to have the content on your computer to be able to stream it to the ROKU. While this will basically allow your TV to become a monitor for your laptop/computer thus enabling you to stream online content without downloading it.

roboballs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roboballs
wolke wrote:the dongle part needs usb power. not all set top boxes have a usb port. of course, you can power it separately, but it makes less sense if you need a wire.

Ah, I had it backwards. I thought the dongle was the receiver and the box was the transmitter. But it's the opposite, eh? Good point, not sure my cable box supplies USB power, but luckily my Wii right next door does : )

besolis8926

quality posts: 0 Private Messages besolis8926

Can I still use the dual monitor function on the computer like when using an HDMI cord? (usually watching show on TV while working on the laptop) thanks