5%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

$189.99 in August: complaints were loud over the cost for the older tools with non-lithium batteries (although at least one person said their tools worked well):
http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5117579

September woot-off: $149.99 (and tonight $139.99)
http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5169121

Your call.

JeffKhaled

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JeffKhaled

Makita is a solid brand but $135 for a 14.4V combo kit with the older style NiCd batteries is not a good investment. You could get a Makita or Milwaukee 18V combo kit with the newer Lithium-Ion batteries for $200.

If you just need a small drill and impact driver for around the house you could get a 12V combo kit with Lithium-Ion batteries for around this price.

jerkwagon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerkwagon

what a terrible deal, this has been on woot way too many times, nicad? do they work with commodore 64's? what out for this rip off.

andrewhallze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andrewhallze

Makita or Dewalt? hmmmmm

waterguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waterguy

You couldn't give me these tools with those batteries. I'm not sure you can even get a charger anymore.

Scott Flatland

Thinkerer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Thinkerer

Good tools, obsolete batteries.

I have a 20 year old Makita cordless drill that just won't die - even have one of the original battery packs with it. That said, NiCd is a waste, particularly as they discharge over time and will develop a charge-limiting "memory" over time as the nickel crystallizes in the cells.

You can get batteries and chargers even for very old versions (Sears and Amazon among others), but why not get good stuff to begin with?

Oh, and a flashlight doesn't count as a tool...sorry, Woot, but this is a 2 piece set with a bonus shiny.

wootfertexas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootfertexas
andrewhallze wrote:Makita or Dewalt? hmmmmm

No contest. With me it's Dewalt or Porter Gable. Dewalt wins unless I find a Porter Gable cheap.

hdedek01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hdedek01

Makita, yes always although don't buy this one. Not enough power. If you are serious about your tools and want them forever, buy the 18V XLT Series.

Tominator2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tominator2000

I've still got these in 12V and a couple others in 14.4.

Makita's quality just crushes most other brands. I've had mine for over 12 years and use them every weekend.
A couple mechanics at work use theirs every day. Same model.

I've had one battery out of 6 go bad but even it still works in the light.

The light is a tool as well. It has an extra bulb under the reflector and the adjustable head makes it a great addition to my collection of tools.

tunez4523

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tunez4523

Once again a horrible deal on a horribly outdated set of tools. Maybe a decent deal at $79.99 but even then they are OLD technology. Come on Woot, while your at it, sell us a Motorola "brick" phone for $250 and try to convince us it is a great deal too!

andre4999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andre4999

Nobody needs question the amazing quality of Makita cordless! I own makita, dewalt and milwaukee...miles above ryobi. My makita drill fell two stories and still works, left out in rain for a week and works...can't say the same for my dewalt but dewalts no slouch and I use my tools all day every day.

Bennetsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bennetsen

We have had a similar set for over 10 years and we love it! It may be older technology, but the batteries have been generally fine. We thought the batteries were bad and bought new ones, but it turned out a power surge had taken out the charger. Se we went right to Home Depot and bought a new one.
Last year, I tried to upgrade him to the new style and battery, and he hated it. He said the drill was wobbly and the power kept fluctuating. This older model seems to have been made before "planned obsolescence" became the norm. If you need a drill, and want to spend less, this is a great set!

nidrah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nidrah

Was giving this some thought, read here and then there and thought NiCd? Really?!
Ummm....no thank you.
Thanks all for the comments and setting me str8!

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

Seems like no matter how many times they appear on Sellout woot" they won't sell out! There are mounds of good reasons for them not selling every time they appear and of course this time is no exception. As they continue to appear over and over again they should be dubbed, "The Tools That Would Not Go Away".

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple

'Sorry Woot...

Makita = sweet, excellent, I want more.

Ni Cad batteries = bitter, evil, are they even still making them?, wouldn't buy at any price, they'll steadily die over a year - 18 months.

On the positive side, this would be slightly better than having to feed it throw away alkaline D-cell batteries.

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

Like the Makita brand, but 14.4V? In NiCad??? Wow, no thanks, at any price. Heck, two years ago I bought a Hitachi set of drill, impact driver, light, 2 18V Li-ion batts and a charger in a hard case for $200 from Lowes. Woot should be able to do better than this.

svbebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages svbebe
JeffKhaled wrote:Makita is a solid brand but $135 for a 14.4V combo kit with the older style NiCd batteries is not a good investment. You could get a Makita or Milwaukee 18V combo kit with the newer Lithium-Ion batteries for $200.

If you just need a small drill and impact driver for around the house you could get a 12V combo kit with Lithium-Ion batteries for around this price.

I see one problem with the charger specs which say "Input: A.C. Only (50 Hz - 60 Hz)." It does not spec the voltage. When I search on the model number of the charger, I get EU voltage at 230 volts.

shabazz18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shabazz18

Jesus, this again? Mark this pile of crap down to 50 bucks already so we can all buy one just so we don't have to see it waste space for something that might be a worth while deal.

jenbunger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenbunger

Picked up a Hitachi combo same tools drill, driver and light, but it was 18 volt and Li-ion batteries for $149.99 recently. Back up to $199.99 now, but makes this deal a little less attractive with NiCad and 14.4v.