3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

scrcmedic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scrcmedic

Dam glad I got the z990 from you guts last week. Only 12mega but a MUCH better camera! Love it!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

REMINDER for the WOOT-OFF!!!

Remember that after you buy your first item today on any site, everything else ships for free until midnight CST to night!

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

IMHO, the z990 makes this a paper-weight. But, we all know what opinions are like.

Yes, I have championed the z990 over the 5000 series from Kodak many times, and I bought three more z990 cameras in the recent previous woot!, however, the z990 is not for everyone, and this is a very capable camera for the price.

Would I personally hold out for the z990? Sure. But others will enjoy the unique feature set of this 5000 series camera and the extreme zoom it offers . . . it does a decent job for a casual photographer. Plus, you're going to save a few bucks over the z990.

It is just, for me, after owning both 5000 series cameras available from Kodak and the z990, I can't look back - the z990 might be the best consumer digital camera Kodak has ever made, and it is hard to be objective after owning all three - the z990 is THAT good IMHO. In fact, I reach for my z990 more often than our Canon T3i, and I paid $700 for the Canon for my son's photography course.

Bottom line, this is a very capable camera at a decent price. But, it may not be the best Kodak had to offer.

I'm sure someone will post a picture of the moon they shot with this camera and woot! will sell them out.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman
ThunderThighs wrote:REMINDER for the WOOT-OFF!!!

Remember that after you buy your first item today on any site, everything else ships for free until midnight CST to night!

I believe you meant to say any "woot!" family site . . . someone will shop at Little Joe Bob's Discount Lures and Truck Parts (now offering homemade pies) and take you to task on this . . . IJS.

dantudor@tudorwines.com

quality posts: 42 Private Messages dantudor@tudorwines.com

this is an awesome camera! I bought it about 3 months ago off woot. Really tempted to buy another one. I tested the 26x zoom to shoot some video of kitesurfing. Then using GOM player clipped still shots with burst capture and they look great!

CowboyDann

quality posts: 715 Private Messages CowboyDann

Here it was in June

Here is the Zoom test, It's pretty good!

And You still are hiding Matthew's song/video about this camera guys!

CowboyDann wrote:
I'm sad Matthew went through all the work of writing a song for this product and you don't even feature it on the main page. Shame on you woot!

Here is the manual in case anybody was looking for it.

Here it was for sale in may

Sorry for phoning it in, all these posts are from what i said in June except for the bold

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek
scrcmedic wrote:Dam glad I got the z990 from you guts last week. Only 12mega but a MUCH better camera! Love it!

gregbowman wrote:IMHO, the z990 makes this a paper-weight. But, we all know what opinions are like.

Yes, I have championed the z990 over the 5000 series from Kodak many times, and I bought three more z990 cameras in the recent previous woot!, however, the z990 is not for everyone, and this is a very capable camera for the price.

I have to agree. After much research I chose to buy the Z990(Woot! 7-17-12) over any of the 5000 series cameras. Yes, it is a few mega pixels less, but that's not all that makes a camera. Not that this is a bad camera, and for many it will be just what they need. Do your own research and make your own educated choice what will meet your needs. Since I don't believe they sold out, I believe Woot! may offer the Z990 again.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

taina10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taina10

Can someone comment on why batteries and not rechargeable batt pack?

friartek

taina10 wrote:Can someone comment on why batteries and not rechargeable batt pack?

$$$, nothing more. Every upgrade increases the cost. I haven't looked at the entire line of Kodak cameras, but one possibility would be it was based off another camera body that used batteries. Re-engineering is not cheap. But then this is just a guess.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.

stinhoutx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stinhoutx

From the comments on the z990, lest we want to take a chance waiting for a reappearance on Woot!, it would seem the price on Amazon for $179.99 with the "bundle" is not too bad? Bundle includes rechargeable batteries, HDMI cable, memory card, and it looks like you get an extra memory card from Amazon, too.

flyrodder68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyrodder68

Very nice camera, takes nice video and easy to use overall. The only downside is that it eats up regular battery quick. I'd highly recommend carrying 4 extra rechargeable batteries at all times.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
stinhoutx wrote:From the comments on the z990, lest we want to take a chance waiting for a reappearance on Woot!, it would seem the price on Amazon for $179.99 with the "bundle" is not too bad? Bundle includes rechargeable batteries, HDMI cable, memory card, and it looks like you get an extra memory card from Amazon, too.

Just got my z990 camera today and I think it's a fabulous camera. If people like this current offering, I think they would like the z990 even more. Z990 has two very significant advantages over this one: 1. A viewfinder, and 2. A very handy jog wheel.

z990 is definitely worth the extra $, IMO.

micersmart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micersmart

I am so sad right now. I purchased the item but the shipping address was my old address, and there is no easy way to change it so I have canceled the order but I have received no confirmation of cancellation due to volume ;-;... I want to get the camera but am afraid of getting billed twice.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

micersmart wrote:I am so sad right now. I purchased the item but the shipping address was my old address, and there is no easy way to change it so I have canceled the order but I have received no confirmation of cancellation due to volume ;-;... I want to get the camera but am afraid of getting billed twice.

Email service@woot.com and ask them to change your address.

halong829

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halong829

One item to note about the Kodak cameras: they do not have a hand or neck carry strap included. The only strap is the thin nylon cord for the lenses cover. I had to borrow one from another camera...

friartek

halong829 wrote:One item to note about the Kodak cameras: they do not have a hand or neck carry strap included. The only strap is the thin nylon cord for the lenses cover. I had to borrow one from another camera...

Not true about all their cameras. I wonder why they didn't include one with this setup. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it has the ability to except a neck strap. I have even seen some kits include hand straps. You wonder what they are thinking when they make these kits.

teamman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages teamman
halong829 wrote:One item to note about the Kodak cameras: they do not have a hand or neck carry strap included. The only strap is the thin nylon cord for the lenses cover. I had to borrow one from another camera...

I don't know about the other Kodak camera offerings, but my Z990 came with a "Kodak" neck strap in the retail packaging

wehrd1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wehrd1

damn! no viewfinder - i must have missed the Z990 offering.

oh well...the colors are pretty.

startanew2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages startanew2

Lost me at AA batteries. If they gave me the camera for free, it'd still cost more to keep batteries in it than I'd spend on a better camera with a good battery. Particularly with no viewfinder. The screen on the back eats batteries like a kid in grandma's candy dish. Pass.

lepiane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepiane
micersmart wrote:I am so sad right now. I purchased the item but the shipping address was my old address, and there is no easy way to change it so I have canceled the order but I have received no confirmation of cancellation due to volume ;-;... I want to get the camera but am afraid of getting billed twice.

Contact The old Post Office and write a letter follow-up... they WILL help.

TweakX4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TweakX4

remember, it's a lot easier to go to the store when you're out taking pictures than having to go home and charge your battery

twstrchk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twstrchk

Have it, love it. Amazed by the zoom quality, great battery life too. Have an Olympus Tough for quickie, outdoor pics but if I want good ones - this is it!

leftturney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftturney

I went for the z990 over this one. The Z990 has a viewfinder for one. Since they both have the same size image sensor, the 16 MP in this camera will look more grainy than the 12MP at full resolution. This camera has a CCD type sensor where the Z990 has a CMOS, the CMOS being better suited for night and low light photos. CCD imagers produce more uniform light in images, but aren't as efficient on power as CMOS. Also CCDs would have better dynamic range than CMOS. CMOS imagers can capture images faster, and have a completey digital output whereas CCD is analog output.

Just sayin.. both have their ups and downs, I prefer the z990.

hawknj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hawknj

Was close to getting this one since I already have a z981 which I LOVE a friend has a Z990 which I do get to see from time to time. After reading some comments I found out the this one has no view finder which coming from a SLR and DSLR I really need that eye piece. So I have to pass on it.

cdubku87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubku87
scrcmedic wrote:Dam glad I got the z990 from you guts last week. Only 12mega but a MUCH better camera! Love it!

me tooo!!

dolphinkist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphinkist
taina10 wrote:Can someone comment on why batteries and not rechargeable batt pack?

Personally, I prefer regular batteries over the specialized camera battery or rechargable because when I shoot, it's often an all-day affair. Unless you have more than one rechargable battery so you can switch them out, you're screwed the second the battery dies (even if you have 2, you may not always have a place to plug them in...like if you tent camp). The special camera batteries are too hard to find on the run (not every gas station has them, plus they appear to be phasing those out).
Using regular batteries is one of the criteria I look at when shopping for a camera because I've been stuck before with a dead pack and missed photos.

dolphinkist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphinkist

Can anyone tell me how the shutter speed is on this...or on the z990?

My experience with Kodaks, especially the Easyshare line, has been terrible with the worst shutter speed and reaction time. Even on "sports" settings, most everything would come out blurred because someone moved their hand.

However, this was a few years ago (which isn't an excuse since every other camera I used was so much better, even if they were older) and I was wondering if or how much they've improved that?
I don't think I'll choose this camera (I need a little more control than this gives me), but I may look at one of these or another Kodak for a gift if they've improved. So, thanks for any input.

silversickness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silversickness

I bought this a few months back and love it. I'm still learning what settings work best but I have no complaints other than, yeah a hand-strap or something would have been nice.

And for the battery complaints- Re-chargeable batteries work wonders. I've had the same set for a few years, they still hold a charge beautifully. I have yet to have this camera or any of my previous ones die on me because of using rechargeable AA's over a battery pack.

speedoo

silversickness wrote:I bought this a few months back and love it. I'm still learning what settings work best but I have no complaints other than, yeah a hand-strap or something would have been nice.

And for the battery complaints- Re-chargeable batteries work wonders. I've had the same set for a few years, they still hold a charge beautifully. I have yet to have this camera or any of my previous ones die on me because of using rechargeable AA's over a battery pack.

This one comes with a case that has a strap, but that strap can't be used as a neck strap.

neilormos

quality posts: 3 Private Messages neilormos
silversickness wrote:

The ability to use AA rechargeables or plain AA alkaline cells was a big advantage for me. You can get 4 AA NiMH rechargeable cells and a charger for less than $20; the cells are less than $2 apiece if you're a careful shopper. So you can have lots of spares. But if you find yourself without charged batteries, you can buy regular AA alkaline cells just about anywhere--Wal-mart, any drug store, or the gift shop at whatever attraction you're visiting.

Also, 12 years from now, AA batteries will still be available and cheap. It may not be so easy to find a special battery pack.

speedoo

dolphinkist wrote:Can anyone tell me how the shutter speed is on this...or on the z990?

My experience with Kodaks, especially the Easyshare line, has been terrible with the worst shutter speed and reaction time. Even on "sports" settings, most everything would come out blurred because someone moved their hand.

However, this was a few years ago (which isn't an excuse since every other camera I used was so much better, even if they were older) and I was wondering if or how much they've improved that?
I don't think I'll choose this camera (I need a little more control than this gives me), but I may look at one of these or another Kodak for a gift if they've improved. So, thanks for any input.

Shutter speed on Kodaks is fine. I think the problem you might be having has to do with "shutter lag", which can be improved by using a faster SD card (minimum class 6) and also by understanding that you need to take pictures with digital cameras by first depressing the shutter button half way to activate the autofocus, wait for the camera to tell you it has focus locked in and then snap the picture by depressing the shutter button the rest of the way.

thequiltmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thequiltmama

I hope I made a good choice. Bought the purple one. I have had good luck with the Kodak brand in the past. And the one I currently have is old old... only 7 mp. Want it to take pics of birds on water. Any feedback????

rixoff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rixoff
thequiltmama wrote:I hope I made a good choice. Bought the purple one. I have had good luck with the Kodak brand in the past. And the one I currently have is old old... only 7 mp. Want it to take pics of birds on water. Any feedback????

Shoot, is it too late to cancel? Bad choice, you should have got the Blue one! Because it looks like the sky, and the sky is happy.

I'm just this guy... ya know?

thequiltmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thequiltmama

LOL.... I figured spouse might not be too excited to use the purple. heheh.

rixoff wrote:Shoot, is it too late to cancel? Bad choice, you should have got the Blue one! Because it looks like the sky, and the sky is happy.

spleen1666

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spleen1666

Kinda sad to know that this is the last camera Kodak is ever making. At least they should have went out with a bigger bang than this.

zfactor

quality posts: 9 Private Messages zfactor

this is a decent camera. not even the same class as the z990 though i own both as well as the older 5010 model. i in fact own 4 z990's. yes one main advantage of the z990 is the viewfinder as many have already said BUT THE MOST important advantage of the z990 is the bsi cmos sensor or back side illuminated sensor. the 5120 has a ccd sensor. the cmos sensor makes a WORLD of difference especially in low light situations. some people do prefer the slightly over saturated color of ccd but it will not nearly take the same pics overall. this is a great point and shoot for people who either dont care or want a camera and have no idea how to use all the settings. otherwise try to find a z990 you will be much happier. i love woot and i really hate to say that here but after using both extensively this pales to the z990. i also own a canon t4i, pentax k-30, nikons etc and as someone above stated i use the z990 most of the time due to not needed my extra lenses and due to the price if something happened to my z990 im not out thousands so no big deal.

in fact if woot would have the z990 again at the same or lower price i would buy another 3 just for gifts. it lacks a few features of the likes of the sx40 or panny 150 but its also a quarter of the price.

zfactor

thequiltmama wrote:LOL.... I figured spouse might not be too excited to use the purple. heheh.

haha nice thinking there

Blackfox19765

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Blackfox19765

Does anyone know how well the camera works in low lighting?

zfactor

Blackfox19765 wrote:Does anyone know how well the camera works in low lighting?

this being a ccd sensor it will not be great. see my post a few above this for more info