4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Scared Rabbit

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Scared Rabbit

Staff

First! I am a big fan of Denon. Love the clean sound their amps reproduce.

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg

I have and love this receiver. No frills, bells, or whistles, just great sound at an affordable price with a usable on screen interface over HDMI.

pilotwillie

quality posts: 18 Private Messages pilotwillie

I would just like to say thank you for once again separating sellout like it used to be. I don't spend a lot of time at deals.woot, so having to go there just to find out specifics about the sellout item annoyed me greatly.

Izzy1968

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Izzy1968

I just bought this exact same receiver a couple weeks ago because my old one bit the dust in a lightning storm. It has been a great receiver, although I had to buy a new subwoofer because my old one was the older type with just speaker wires and this receiver required a plug in type. I also paid $145 for it, so great deal.

appledude9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages appledude9

I like that sellout.woot now has it's own forums rather than the deals.woot discussion, however shouldn't the font be purple?

mbj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbj

Does this receiver turn down the commercials volume?

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Only $4.01 savings over Amazon (with their free super-saver shipping)?!? Not THAT great of a deal here.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1312-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004U403S6

But, hey, I guess 5 bucks is 5 bucks!

mwilfred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwilfred

How is this a deal? It's on Amazon for $139 (with free shipping). What am I missing here (besides the $5 difference)?

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1312-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004U403S6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338182938&sr=8-1

zockozocko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zockozocko

Anyone have any good/bad experiences using this amp with headphones?

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

seriously...I can't figure out what's going on.

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

ionman

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ionman

AW NUTS! My old (c. 1994) Sony D1015 just lost the center channel. Too bad I'm broke as a spoke or I'd be all over this.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

So, the specs seem to indicate 3 composite inputs but on the rear panel photo I only see two. Did I miss one somewhere?
I ask only because the kids have three old game systems they sometimes like to play and a box to upconvert composite to HDMI costs about $40-100 by itself and they'd still have to switch cables around to play each system. A receiver is significantly more functional, also offers the capability of a high quality 4x1 HDMI switch, and the amplifier, etc is extra icing.
But I want to know if it really has three composite video inputs.

Edit: Looks like the third one might be on the front, but covered by some kind of filler panel?

Edit2: I give up. I checked the Denon web site and there it says two composite inputs _including_ the front one. While I was there I saw that it says no "Video Conversion – Analog to HDMI" so it seems it won't work for this purpose anyway.
Why in this day and age anyone makes an AV receiver that can't output whatever you plug into it via HDMI is beyond me. What, do they think I want to have an ancient CRT sitting next to my HDTV and want to use the receiver with that to?
Just don't bother including any composite or component video inputs if you're not going to include the extra electronics necessary to actually make them useful to anyone. It's pointless.

Ericy321

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Ericy321

I believe the third is on the front. My demon is set up that way also.

Scbysnax

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Scbysnax
mwilfred wrote:How is this a deal? It's on Amazon for $139 (with free shipping). What am I missing here (besides the $5 difference)?

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1312-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004U403S6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338182938&sr=8-1

Let's see you get to up your
woot purchase count up by one. Second you have to buy it today, wait the second thought is not an advantage.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kmartind wrote:So, the specs seem to indicate 3 composite inputs but on the rear panel photo I only see two. Did I miss one somewhere?
I ask only because the kids have three old game systems they sometimes like to play and a box to upconvert composite to HDMI costs about $40-100 by itself and they'd still have to switch cables around to play each system. A receiver is significantly more functional, also offers the capability of a high quality 4x1 HDMI switch, and the amplifier, etc is extra icing.
But I want to know if it really has three composite video inputs.

Edit: Looks like the third one might be on the front, but covered by some kind of filler panel?

Edit2: I give up. I checked the Denon web site and there it says two composite inputs _including_ the front one. While I was there I saw that it says no "Video Conversion – Analog to HDMI" so it seems it won't work for this purpose anyway.
Why in this day and age anyone makes an AV receiver that can't output whatever you plug into it via HDMI is beyond me. What, do they think I want to have an ancient CRT sitting next to my HDTV and want to use the receiver with that to?
Just don't bother including any composite or component video inputs if you're not going to include the extra electronics necessary to actually make them useful to anyone. It's pointless.

Got hold of someone at HQ. It has 2 on the back and 1 on the front.

This might help.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

RoyLoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RoyLoo

Bought one of these in March and we're not happy with it. I wish I had known about how sensitive the "protection" circuit is. Just about the time you're really enjoying the sound of an exciting scene in a movie, it turns off! You have to recycle the Denon's power to get it back on again. Most annoying and a fatal flaw as far as I'm concerned. The volume levels just aren't that high and there's plenty of air space around it.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
ThunderThighs wrote:Got hold of someone at HQ. It has 2 on the back and 1 on the front.

This might help.

The manual confirms there's a removable cap covering the front inputs so that seems to solve the mystery, although their specs still seem a little confused in spots.

Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive receiver (from any manufacturer) that actually does composite and/or component conversion to HDMI? I'm just about ready to risk buying a converter box directly from China for $27 shipped, although I'd much rather have a low-end receiver that includes that functionality instead. This one doesn't seem to fit the bill.

(The AVR-1913 does that, but at $579, I don't think so).

stimpy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stimpy
Scbysnax wrote:Let's see you get to up your
woot purchase count up by one. Second you have to buy it today, wait the second thought is not an advantage.

But I'm in Texas. If I buy from Woot! I have to pay sales tax. If I buy from Amazon.com I don't. I can use the "TAXSUCKS!", but that is only $5.

wgundammikezero

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wgundammikezero

I'm interested to see how the Woot-offs work with this new layout!

cocajava

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cocajava
scubalab wrote:Only $4.01 savings over Amazon (with their free super-saver shipping)?!? Not THAT great of a deal here.

Yes, consider the return policy from Amazon vs. $5 discount, this is not a deal if something goes wrong.

urocyon

quality posts: 4 Private Messages urocyon
scubalab wrote:Only $4.01 savings over Amazon (with their free super-saver shipping)?!? Not THAT great of a deal here.

I can do you two bucks bettah:

http://www.ratedmall.com/denon-avr1312-51-channel-av-home-theater-receiver-best-reviews-2079.html

--
Forgive me, Vixy. I was young, in love, and had a spare bomb!

TapatioUSA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TapatioUSA
stimpy wrote:But I'm in Texas. If I buy from Woot! I have to pay sales tax. If I buy from Amazon.com I don't. I can use the "TAXSUCKS!", but that is only $5.

Well, Amazon is going to start collecting taxes from Texas residents on July 1st.
Amazon Collecting Taxes to Texas residents

I wonder if that has related with Woot being located at Texas and owned by Amazon?

Anyway, that will suck.....

rxturbo7man

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rxturbo7man

My thoughts exactly. The quite small savings over Amazon does not make up for the far superior Amazon return policy. Not one of Woot's better deals.

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA

If you're on the fence, jump on this one guys. I paid $165 for this from woot on 3/12 and I don't regret it at all. Denon = quality.

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

I have an onkyo TX-SR304 that is getting long in the tooth. I have been thinking about upgrading and this looks nice, but the lack of inputs and outputs is hurting it. It is an entry level so you can't slam it too much, but not right for me.

mgang4020

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgang4020
RoyLoo wrote:Bought one of these in March and we're not happy with it. I wish I had known about how sensitive the "protection" circuit is. Just about the time you're really enjoying the sound of an exciting scene in a movie, it turns off! You have to recycle the Denon's power to get it back on again. Most annoying and a fatal flaw as far as I'm concerned. The volume levels just aren't that high and there's plenty of air space around it.

Agreed, we bought a refurbished 1612 in Dec. Never could get it to turn on, it just flipped to protection mode every time. Denon replaced with another refurbished 1612 that will eventually turn on with some persistence. Usually takes at least 3 attempts before it will start. It seems to be worse when attempting to start the unit when it's cold. I've never had it shut down while in use though, that would be the worst. Yes, the protection circuitry in these Denons are way too sensitive!

Sardinicus

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Sardinicus
Scared Rabbit wrote:First! I am a big fan of Denon. Love the clean sound their amps reproduce.

Well, there was a time when Demon would never have released an amp with 0.7% THD, which is shorthand for underpowered junk.

This might be OK for amplifying games or movies in bedroom or small apartment but is not a suitable main amp for a full scale home theater or for music. The problems people are reporting with the protect circuit is a result of trying to drive full sized speakers at home theater volumes; the specs here imply this isn't up to that task.

farmboy79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farmboy79
TapatioUSA wrote:Well, Amazon is going to start collecting taxes from Texas residents on July 1st.

I wonder if that has related with Woot being located at Texas and owned by Amazon?

Well, you ought to live in Washington where Amazon is located and every since Amazon ruined Woot we have had to pay sales tax.

louisgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisgrady
TapatioUSA wrote:Well, Amazon is going to start collecting taxes from Texas residents on July 1st.

Yes, because Amazon will have a "nexus" in Texas (a place of business in a state, with employees, which is part of Sales Tax law in all states that have sales taxes.

SailorSpoon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SailorSpoon

Any receiver without a phono input isn't good enough for me.

Spoooon!

guswalken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guswalken
SailorSpoon wrote:Any receiver without a phono input isn't good enough for me.

I second that ! My Denon AVR-1802 may not have HDMI and be a bit outdated, but it has a Phono input, and I it still runs like a champ ! I'm actually surprised that makers of new receivers have yet added phono pre-amps to lower priced receivers especially since the sell of Vinyl has rose by 39% since 2011 and keeps rising every year ? It seems like they would want to capitalize on this? Maybe Denon will see this and get with the program ?

seaman187

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seaman187

why are there no component inputs?

hauz20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hauz20

I purchased this in a hurry from Best Buy about a week ago (needless to say I'm returning it after a Woot purchase today) and haven't experienced any problems at all. It seems to push better sound than my previous six-year old Sony in our modestly sized living room.

For $130 bucks (and 3D capability) it's been a winner for me.

mmccue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmccue

Bought mine in March @ $149 and don't regret it. Used the speakers from my old Denon 1250 mini-shelf system. I have my cable, dvd, Roku and turntable on the 4 presets, and the tunes on the mp3/phone get played through the front aux jack. So, SailorSpoon, you CAN set up a phono with this one!! I'm a huge vinyl buyer, and would never have gotten it if I couldn't...

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg

I have had mine nearly a year (bought it in August right after it was released) and have not once had the protection circuit kick in. I drive two Polk audio moitor40, two monitor30 and a c10 with it. I did have a problem with one specific HDMI cable I had not playing nice and causing handshake problems between the receiver and my tv, but replacing the cable resolved the issue.

clatrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clatrell

It's actually fine for a smaller home theatre setup. Note that it doesn't have the Audyssey auto-setup, which is actually a great feature.

melduforx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melduforx
mmccue wrote:I have my cable, dvd, Roku and turntable on the 4 presets, and the tunes on the mp3/phone get played through the front aux jack. So, SailorSpoon, you CAN set up a phono with this one!! I'm a huge vinyl buyer, and would never have gotten it if I couldn't...

Uh, unless it has PHONO input, you're definitely not listening to vinyl the way that you should. Vinyl requires a pre-amp to equalize the sound properly.

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

Either that or your turntable has the pre-amp built-in, which vinyl purists would turn their nose up at.

leehemen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leehemen

I bought one several months ago from
Woot, went to several audio/digital stores in our area and they could not believe the cheap price I paid for this fantastic unit, nor could any of them come to close to matching it. Now I need to figure out how to set up my bass speaker... :>)

unksol

quality posts: 13 Private Messages unksol
kmartind wrote: While I was there I saw that it says no "Video Conversion – Analog to HDMI" so it seems it won't work for this purpose anyway.

Erm? Accept that it adds cost to have that circuitry in the reciever, and every HDTV on the market has component and composite inputs and scales them. Cause you know. Most of us have things that aren't HDMI. Like your game systems. We certainly aren't stacking CRT's next to our HDTV's.

Yes. You have to run an extra cable from the reciever to the tv and change the input on the tv. The horror. A cheap reciever has to sacrafice something and better a feature that requries an extra 30 seconds of setup time and an occasional button push that no one actually *NEEDS*