chriscclark01

quality posts: 23 Private Messages chriscclark01

chriscclark01

NightGhost wrote:Product Website

Looks like u beat me tonight!

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

My God, that is a good price. Four rechargeable batteries by themselves cost upwards of 8 bucks.

druej

quality posts: 0 Private Messages druej

So are these defective? I don't get it. Why does it purposely overheat the batteries to the point of destruction?

drewcp

quality posts: 20 Private Messages drewcp
chriscclark01 wrote:Product Website

NightGhost wrote:Product Website

nope and nope.
Both of those sites are for the newer/current batteries. These are not the same.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze

I bought a quick charge unit with batteries a few years ago because I used to have a camera and a portable CD player that used AA batteries. Now all my new gear has lithium batteries so no need for these things!

jizza

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jizza

Will these work with other Energizer chargers?

drhowardfine

quality posts: 4 Private Messages drhowardfine

What's the charge capacity of the batteries?

According to the product info website cited above - they are 1400 mAH

Treytor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Treytor

What is the mAh rating on the batteries?

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-

A note about included batteries. They seem to be the older kind of Rayovac batteries. The newest latest and greatest Rayovac batteries are called "Hybrid" and are really really good!

The main difference: self discharge rate!

- The regular NiMH batteries (which you get with this) are great for immediate use after the charge (slip them in your camera and shoot away!), but they have poor shelf life, and tend to lose up to 1/3 of a charge over just a few weeks of storage.

- The new Hybrid NiMH batteries have slightly lower capacity, but they can be stored and used over long periods of time, with very slow self-discharge, something like 10% over 6 months, if I'm remembering the numbers correctly!

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

Removing batteries to avoid overcharging is so 1992.

mbmanaus

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mbmanaus

Yikes, these are only 1400mAh so don't expect the charge to last very long.

FreeskierInVT

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreeskierInVT

In the picture, the rechargeable batteries are 1.2V. Aren't regular alkalines 1.5V? Will there be any difference in how long they last (before charging again)?

My Woots:
31 from woot.com
6 from shirt.woot
3 from sellout.woot
1 from wine.woot
3 B O C's- 12/25/11, 4/1/10 and... my first B O C- 11/19/09 (with a letter from woot!)

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes

Will it work with the NIMH batteries I bought from a questionable retailer on the internet? Does it also do the AAA?

BabyBear

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BabyBear
Treytor wrote:What is the mAh rating on the batteries?

1400mAh. Avoid these like the plague!

i24u

quality posts: 15 Private Messages i24u

If I could get 8 AAA and 4 AA it would be sold. Don't really need 12 AA

Ozzie2191

quality posts: 52 Private Messages Ozzie2191

While I can't speak to the batteries, I bought this exact charger at WalMark in July to replace mine that had gone missing. I think I paid about this for the charger.

Charger works great, and like any decent one puts on a green light and stops charging once the batteries are full. I am not using Rayovacs in it, in case anyone is curious; I'm using some Energizers that I've been using in my camera for years. I use Rayovac disposables though, and have no issue with them.

**Witty signature fail**Out of cheese error**Redo from start**

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Amazon's page for the newer Easy Charger has comments on this "older" charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Rechargeable-Charger-4-position-Battery/dp/B001KYFZD2

and Digital Buyer has it for $14 without batteries:

http://www.digitalbuyer.com/rayovac-reg-four-position-easy-charger-33026.html

and Alexandria General Supply has it for $7.68 but with extra shipping and again without batteries:

http://www.alexgs.com/rayovac_ps131e.html

Actually, I was really wondering if anyone was going to start a woot-pool for when NightGhost is going to hit 1000 quality posts,...

chriscclark01

jizza wrote:Will these work with other Energizer chargers?

Mine do... I've mixed and matched rayovac/energizer chargers and batteries for a while now... no problems...

gwk1967

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gwk1967
druej wrote:So are these defective? I don't get it. Why does it purposely overheat the batteries to the point of destruction?

It doesn't purposely overcharge, it's just a "dumb" charger. Unlike "smart" chargers, it's not designed to stop charging when the batteries are full.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009
Treytor wrote:What is the mAh rating on the batteries?

The websites say 1400 mAh for the AAs. And these are only 1.2v batteries when regular alkaline AAs are 1.5v. I don't see these having very good performance in high drain devices like digital cameras which these batteries are advertised for.

They might work well in a wireless mouse or remote control for a couple of months but beyond that I think they have limited usefulness.

drewcp

FreeskierInVT wrote:In the picture, the rechargeable batteries are 1.2V. Aren't regular alkalines 1.5V? Will there be any difference in how long they last (before charging again)?

Most rechargeable batteries are 1.2V.
Alkaline batteries are usually 1.5V.
This is a chemistry thing, not a quality issue.

Bazirker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bazirker

1400 MAH is AWFUL. Pass.

jackmcdowell

quality posts: 18 Private Messages jackmcdowell
CharlesP2009 wrote:The websites say 1400 mAh for the AAs.

Compare to the eneloops that have 2000mah...

slappomatt

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slappomatt
FreeskierInVT wrote:In the picture, the rechargeable batteries are 1.2V. Aren't regular alkalines 1.5V? Will there be any difference in how long they last (before charging again)?

I believe the voltages are more stable in actual use so even though they are rated at 1.2 volts they will put that out with a load and regular alcalines will sag with a load to about the same voltage so you shouldn't have any issues.

as others have said these are cheap chargers and older tech batteries. might be good for a digi cam with a high drain rate and normal use. not for things that you want to last a long time.

heartburnkid

quality posts: 4 Private Messages heartburnkid
LEM- wrote:A note about included batteries. They seem to be the older kind of Rayovac batteries. The newest latest and greatest Rayovac batteries are called "Hybrid" and are really really good!

The main difference: self discharge rate!

- The regular NiMH batteries (which you get with this) are great for immediate use after the charge (slip them in your camera and shoot away!), but they have poor shelf life, and tend to lose up to 1/3 of a charge over just a few weeks of storage.

- The new Hybrid NiMH batteries have slightly lower capacity, but they can be stored and used over long periods of time, with very slow self-discharge, something like 10% over 6 months, if I'm remembering the numbers correctly!

Actually, Rayovac doesn't brand their slow-discharge batteries as Hybrids anymore; they have the same green-and-black label as these, with just a small mention of the word "Pre-Charged". Still the same great batteries, though. I use a mix of the Rayovacs (both Hybrids and the newer ones) and Sanyo Eneloops in my stuff, and they work fantastic.

slappomatt

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slappomatt
Bazirker wrote:1400 MAH is AWFUL. Pass.

1400 isn't really that awful its just that the new stuff is REALLY good....

zavn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zavn

Would this be good for Wii remotes?

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost
drewcp wrote:nope and nope.
Both of those sites are for the newer/current batteries. These are not the same.

Huh? PS131E is the first charger listed.

LEM-

Judging from the picture, which is showing just two lights - the charger probably has only 2 (that's TWO) charging circuits. That means the "charge up to 4" may be kind of misleading. You can only charge either 2 batteries or 4 batteries at a time. Can't charge 1 or 3. Tough luck to anyone with a device using an odd number of AA's. It is also very undesirable to couple batteries of different charge levels, because it charges the couple as a single cell, expecting them to have been used together.

While this is very common with chargers, if you shop around it's possible to dig up a charger that uses a separate charging circuit for each individual battery. They are much more flexible and robust.

jackmcdowell

quality posts: 18 Private Messages jackmcdowell

Although I must say about the eneloops, I just charged a pair today and put them in a wireless keyboard and they overheated it and melted the plastic...

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

1400mah batteries...wow, these things must be really old. They'll still work fine, but I think companies stopped making these (other than the super high current ones, like GP, which these aren't) like 8+ years ago.

drewcp

NightGhost wrote:Huh? PS131E are the first batteries listed.

PS131E is the charger, not the batteries.

drhowardfine

I think we'll need one of the woot gods to tell us the capacity of these batteries. All the ones on the product info website are 1400 mAH (AAs) but they are CLEARLY not the same as supplied in tonight's sellout.

As someone mentioned earlier, the info site shows "precharged" on the packaging - indicating those (and NOT the ones in this woot) are hybrids. Again, the ones being wooted are PROBABLY higher capacity, but with a lower shelf life.

Come'on woot gods - tell us waddya got?

LEM-

heartburnkid wrote:Actually, Rayovac doesn't brand their slow-discharge batteries as Hybrids anymore; they have the same green-and-black label as these, with just a small mention of the word "Pre-Charged". Still the same great batteries, though. I use a mix of the Rayovacs (both Hybrids and the newer ones) and Sanyo Eneloops in my stuff, and they work fantastic.

I can't spot the "pre-charged" anywhere on included pictures, nor is it mentioned anywhere in the description. Being so much better than regular NiMH, I'd think anyone selling them would want to scream "HYBRID", or "PRE-CHARGED" in some part of the sales pitch.... So until proven otherwise, I'd hold my ground to the assumption that those are the older kind....

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost
drewcp wrote:PS131E is the charger, not the batteries.

True that - was kinda posting all over Woot at once...

shamcy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shamcy
CaptainWes wrote:Will it work with the NIMH batteries I bought from a questionable retailer on the internet? Does it also do the AAA?

Almost all chargers now do AA and AAA you just have to flip a plastic tip at the (-) tip of the charger slot.

Those batteries are not hybrids though (Hybrids are low discharge batteries which means you can use them in anything that uses very little energy to operate like a TV remote control without having to replace the battery once a month.

drhowardfine

zavn wrote:Would this be good for Wii remotes?

I've used other NiMH batteries in our Wiimote and in the Fit balance board - without issues. All NiMH have the same voltage 1.2V

The shorter shelf life might be a problem for you though if you don't use your Wii nearly every day. If you pick it up once a month, you'd be better off with Hybrids.