mbspell

quality posts: 37 Private Messages mbspell
KtCallista wrote:I know a few people at LEGO in Denmark. They hire a lot of Americans who want to come over, but they also have some jobs in the states (and my LinkedIn says they are frequently hiring in Shanghai). Let me know if I can help.

I just showed your message to my son. he said to be sure to ask you for more information next spring (he will graduate from college in 2018). made his day!

mbspell

monday was crazy at work, but I guess it got crazier after I left.

some guy wanted his medication, which we didn't have in stock. we had it shipped from another store for today. (we are not allowed to order brand name meds unless we have a prescription ready to fill. so even if a regular customer will need a refill soon, we cannot order it ahead) anyway, the customer was mad and said if his medication was not ready by tuesday he was going to jump over the counter and beat someone up. there were 2 employees, both female, both around 5 feet tall, one under 100 lbs.

people are jerks

mbspell

oh, it was ready this morning, and he picked it up without a comment or any trouble.

pooflady

quality posts: 25 Private Messages pooflady
mbspell wrote:wow. quite the saga! I'd love more details if you don't mind sharing.

Me, too. What part of PA?

I think my guardian angel drinks.

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138
mbspell wrote:I live in the town I grew up in. both my sets of grandparents lived in the city next to us. it was a nice way to grow up. I have had cousins move away, but my sister and I are both local.

I went to college in FL and when there I missed the seasons. but I've had enough Boston winters now and would like to go someplace warmer. I didn't expect my boys would live in the same town as me, but I kinda expected they'd live in the US.

Both sets of Grandparents lived within 1/2 mile of us. We weren't supposed to move back to my parents' hometown when dad got out of the army, but the deal fell thru when they didn't want to pay extra for the carpet. They found one in Stow. I could easily walk to see my grandparents.

moles1138

marlenestclair wrote:Our story goes like this: my mom gave birth to my oldest sister after, um, shall we say some jerk slipped her a mickey at a supper club. She went away for 5 months and gave her up. She found us years later. Good story if anyone wants details I will post them.
My next oldest sister never forgave my dad from divorcing her mom who liked to sleep around and drink cocktails all day. She is the one I haven't seen since I was a kid.
Little sis is from my mom and dad's marriage.
We are all from PA, except me...I was born in TX. I live in VA because this is my husband's (now mine) home.

Last year we learned we have a new cousin (50 years after the fact). She has 2 older siblings and one younger. Her father was a Pepsi driver. She was given up for adoption because her mom was single (surprise) and cold not afford another kid (surprise). She lives close. She's nice. And gets along with her siblings.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
moles1138 wrote:And gets along with her siblings.

must be on drugs, or some sort of mutant.

pooflady

Weather's getting nasty here. I have my head-for-the-basement kit ready.

marlenestclair

quality posts: 12 Private Messages marlenestclair

How I gained a sister...

I knew my mom was what we now call roofied/date raped when she was 20. It was by a man who wanted to date her but she said he was an idiot and kept turning him down.
She was at a supper club one night when he bought her a beer. She went to the ladies room and stuck whatever kind of drug in her beer.
All she remembered was sitting in the alley with a torn dress and blood on her leg. She figured what happened, but back in those days (my sister is 71) you didn't report things like that because it was always the woman's fault.
She was sent to a convent in upper PA. We are from Freeland/Hazleton Poof, near Scranton.
She had a girl and had to give her up. No unwed mothers back then. She was adopted by a family in PA and they kept the name my mom gave her.
After her parents died, she found her real birth certificate with my mom's name on it. It took ten years, but she found my mom through the Social Security System. They kept forwarding her letter to mom from office to office because my mom had married 2x and moved about 10x.
Basically that is the story, we called her and she and her family came to see us. My dad's family "adopted" her too
Of course, this would never happen today with the SS system. This was 25 years ago.
She has been a blessing, I will go see her in August.

x10

This space for rent.

pooflady

marlenestclair wrote:How I gained a sister...

I knew my mom was what we now call roofied/date raped when she was 20. It was by a man who wanted to date her but she said he was an idiot and kept turning him down.
She was at a supper club one night when he bought her a beer. She went to the ladies room and stuck whatever kind of drug in her beer.
All she remembered was sitting in the alley with a torn dress and blood on her leg. She figured what happened, but back in those days (my sister is 71) you didn't report things like that because it was always the woman's fault.
She was sent to a convent in upper PA. We are from Freeland/Hazleton Poof, near Scranton.
She had a girl and had to give her up. No unwed mothers back then. She was adopted by a family in PA and they kept the name my mom gave her.
After her parents died, she found her real birth certificate with my mom's name on it. It took ten years, but she found my mom through the Social Security System. They kept forwarding her letter to mom from office to office because my mom had married 2x and moved about 10x.
Basically that is the story, we called her and she and her family came to see us. My dad's family "adopted" her too
Of course, this would never happen today with the SS system. This was 25 years ago.
She has been a blessing, I will go see her in August.

What a terrific story. And a happy ending!

mbspell

pooflady wrote:What a terrific story. And a happy ending!

agreed! thanks for sharing!

pooflady

$50 win on Mega Millions yesterday! I'm probably only a thousand in the hole on it - LOL.

Mavyn

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Mavyn

More rain, maybe snow tomorrow.

I have a tiny family...one sister, 3 cousins. There's bunches of second cousins, but I seldom saw them even when living at home. My sister lives with my mom, and I'm half a continent away. The rest of the family is still in state, though scattered across it. Mom and Dad grew up in one of the tiny 'blink and you miss it' towns on the Colorado plains.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

hot72chev

quality posts: 25 Private Messages hot72chev
pooflady wrote:$50 win on Mega Millions yesterday! I'm probably only a thousand in the hole on it - LOL.

YAY! Congrats, Poof! That's more than I've hit lately.

x9
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

marlenestclair

hot72chev wrote:YAY! Congrats, Poof! That's more than I've hit lately.

I just can't win at that game...oh wait you gotta buy tickets...that would be why. Congrats to you Poof!

x10

This space for rent.

pooflady

marlenestclair wrote:I just can't win at that game...oh wait you gotta buy tickets...that would be why. Congrats to you Poof!

I think that has something to do with it. //snicker//

pooflady

I have a baby shower to attend tomorrow morning at 10:30. At least that leaves the rest of the day free. If I can find the house where it's being held. In Kentucky. Across the river.

pooflady

Went to a niece's baby shower today. How things have changed. Of course she belongs to husband's youngest sibling and she's his youngest child, so there's a good 40 years' difference. But she was in a spandex dress. When I was pregnant we had these big over blouses. I guess we were supposed to hide it.

mbspell

pooflady wrote:Went to a niece's baby shower today. How things have changed. Of course she belongs to husband's youngest sibling and she's his youngest child, so there's a good 40 years' difference. But she was in a spandex dress. When I was pregnant we had these big over blouses. I guess we were supposed to hide it.

yeah, maternity wear has changed a LOT. the big shirts were not great, but not sure I want to see spandex either

hot72chev

I must be old fashioned, because I don't think the spandex on a baby belly looks good; it doesn't look comfortable either.

It's not that I think it should be hidden. Just doesn't look good to me.

x9

pooflady

hot72chev wrote:I must be old fashioned, because I don't think the spandex on a baby belly looks good; it doesn't look comfortable either.

It's not that I think it should be hidden. Just doesn't look good to me.

Kind of like leggings. There's a lot more people they don't look good on than people that they do.

mbspell

pooflady wrote:Kind of like leggings. There's a lot more people they don't look good on than people that they do.

amen to that

hot72chev

dontwantaname

dontwantabirthday

x9

marlenestclair

mbspell wrote:yeah, maternity wear has changed a LOT. the big shirts were not great, but not sure I want to see spandex either

I had the luxury of being pregnant in the 80s/90s when stirrup pants and large shirts that were cinched at the hip with those round clips were in fashion. I just bought a few sizes larger. Luckily all I gained was baby weight, but boy did my shape change!

x10

This space for rent.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 15 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

hot72chev wrote:dontwantaname

dontwantabirthday

Thank you!

Not sure about wanting a birthday. Who thinks about this age???

I could retire, if I worked.

Not with full Social Security.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

moles1138

dontwantaname

quality posts: 15 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

mbspell

sorry I'm late, hope you had a great birthday!

mbspell

made it to confession before Easter! woo hoo!

mbspell

also I think it broke temperature records here in Boston. 84 today. nice, but too warm for April. will drop to 60s/70s for the rest of the week. spring!!

marlenestclair

dontwantaname wrote:Thanks!

Hope your day was great!!! Remember when you stop having birthdays, there may be a problem....

x10

This space for rent.

marlenestclair

mbspell wrote:also I think it broke temperature records here in Boston. 84 today. nice, but too warm for April. will drop to 60s/70s for the rest of the week. spring!!

It was 86 in SW VA today....its only April. Imma dreading July. I'll be in the basement if you need me.

x10

This space for rent.

pooflady

marlenestclair wrote:It was 86 in SW VA today....its only April. Imma dreading July. I'll be in the basement if you need me.

Wow, we were about 78 yesterday, which is probably your temps today, but in the 80s for Boston and WVA is really high. Of course, we were 30 a few days ago.

I remember those days of going to the basement before we got AC. The only problem was, once you cooled off, there was nothing to do. Our basement wasn't finished.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Happy belated birthday dname!

Survived Outdoor School, now to conquer the world championships of youth robotics.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

marlenestclair

pooflady wrote:Wow, we were about 78 yesterday, which is probably your temps today, but in the 80s for Boston and WVA is really high. Of course, we were 30 a few days ago.

I remember those days of going to the basement before we got AC. The only problem was, once you cooled off, there was nothing to do. Our basement wasn't finished.

We have a finished basement. Not what I would have chosen. Very 70s/80s....paneling, dropped ceiling. We plan to remodel one day...laminated floor, knock a wall out, drywall etc....but for now it has 5 rooms, one of which is a full bath. I would not let a werewolf use that bathroom. The prior owners of this house did not take care of anything and everything is being replaced. Slowly.

x10

This space for rent.

pooflady

marlenestclair wrote:We have a finished basement. Not what I would have chosen. Very 70s/80s....paneling, dropped ceiling. We plan to remodel one day...laminated floor, knock a wall out, drywall etc....but for now it has 5 rooms, one of which is a full bath. I would not let a werewolf use that bathroom. The prior owners of this house did not take care of anything and everything is being replaced. Slowly.

For some reason we have a fireplace in the basement. Floor level, no hearth. And the ceiling is a swirled plaster painted sky blue. Which just meant that we had to pull parts of it down to find pipes and wires. And the stairway is from the garage. Kind of weird.

mbspell

pooflady wrote:For some reason we have a fireplace in the basement. Floor level, no hearth. And the ceiling is a swirled plaster painted sky blue. Which just meant that we had to pull parts of it down to find pipes and wires. And the stairway is from the garage. Kind of weird.

we have 2 fireplaces. one in dining room (think it was living room before they added on the large living room in back) and one in the finished basement. seems odd to me, too.

pooflady

We didn't have time to celebrate our anniversary yesterday so we're going out tonight.

Curious: do any of your kids remember your anniversary? Even just to say "Happy Anniversary." My sister and I always got our parents a gift of some kind on their anniversary but evidently we were in the minority.

mbspell

pooflady wrote:We didn't have time to celebrate our anniversary yesterday so we're going out tonight.

Curious: do any of your kids remember your anniversary? Even just to say "Happy Anniversary." My sister and I always got our parents a gift of some kind on their anniversary but evidently we were in the minority.

my kids do not send me birthday cards, and have to be reminded to even say happy birthday, so my answer is NO.

my parents divorced when I was young, so we never marked their anniversary. but I believe we wish the inlaws a happy anniversary every year.

marlenestclair

pooflady wrote:For some reason we have a fireplace in the basement. Floor level, no hearth. And the ceiling is a swirled plaster painted sky blue. Which just meant that we had to pull parts of it down to find pipes and wires. And the stairway is from the garage. Kind of weird.

We have a hearth and a chimney in the basement too. When we moved in, there was a wood stove there...we gave it away because the walls were literally covered in brown where they used it but didn't clean anything. I didn't want the mess...the bathroom is horrid enough, even with my 3 week cleaning.

x10

This space for rent.