ThunderThighs

quality posts: 504 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Evening folks. Brother and I went to see "Mirror, Mirror" tonight. Pretty fun movie. Not great but definitely some good laughs.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Good evening everyone, and good night! Hope everyone has a great snooze and that tomorrow brings you all only the very best.

ThunderThighs

Staff

klozitshoper wrote:Good evening everyone, and good night! Hope everyone has a great snooze and that tomorrow brings you all only the very best.

But I'm just getting going....

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
ThunderThighs wrote:But I'm just getting going....

Getting kids in bed. Then I need to clean a place to set the laptop, because it's too warm for it to stay on my lap (or a pillow). I'll probably be around, I'm supposed to get some code done, if I can stay awake, stupid messed up schedule.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

//sigh// computer dude here for a couple hours, brought back my PC. It wouldn't do at his house what it was doing here. Put on a bigger/stronger/whatever power cord. Talked to tech support for half an hour. Everything seems okay. Brought me an external hard drive, hooked that up to back up everything. Right after he left, the message came up the backup did not successfully complete. The operation failed due to a device error with either the source or the destination. Details:the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Tried my laptop, "you have no preferred wireless networks" or "a network cable is not proberly plugged in or may be broken. It was working before he unhooked it. //sigh//

Some days are a total waste of makeup.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
ThunderThighs wrote:Evening folks. Brother and I went to see "Mirror, Mirror" tonight. Pretty fun movie. Not great but definitely some good laughs.

I saw it yesterday...it was better than meh.
Stupid bollywood deal though.

Watch the weather Daj...might get some crap tonight.

In the end only kindness matters

KtCallista

pooflady wrote://sigh// computer dude here for a couple hours, brought back my PC. It wouldn't do at his house what it was doing here. Put on a bigger/stronger/whatever power cord. Talked to tech support for half an hour. Everything seems okay. Brought me an external hard drive, hooked that up to back up everything. Right after he left, the message came up the backup did not successfully complete. The operation failed due to a device error with either the source or the destination. Details:the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Tried my laptop, "you have no preferred wireless networks" or "a network cable is not proberly plugged in or may be broken. It was working before he unhooked it. //sigh//

I'm sorry poof. Did the power fluctuate during the backup? That can cause them to fail. If your PC isn't getting enough consistent power the USB would not provide enough power for the external HD, does it have a power cord for the wall too?

Did you plug the laptop back in? Was it using a cord or a wireless connection before?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote://sigh// computer dude here for a couple hours, brought back my PC. It wouldn't do at his house what it was doing here. Put on a bigger/stronger/whatever power cord. Talked to tech support for half an hour. Everything seems okay. Brought me an external hard drive, hooked that up to back up everything. Right after he left, the message came up the backup did not successfully complete. The operation failed due to a device error with either the source or the destination. Details:the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Tried my laptop, "you have no preferred wireless networks" or "a network cable is not proberly plugged in or may be broken. It was working before he unhooked it. //sigh//

Ugh, sorry. When he unhooked your laptop from the Ethernet cable (I assume) - it looks like a large phone cable - did he turn your wireless back on? There may be a switch on the side to turn it back on. Or it may be with the Fn key and one of the number keys. It'll be the one that looks like a radio tower.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Iceback wrote:I saw it yesterday...it was better than meh.
Stupid bollywood deal though.

Watch the weather Daj...might get some crap tonight.

Noticed it was filmed in Montreal and saw a lot of French names. Then later in the credits, there were a lot of uhm, non-French names.

//goes to check weather sites

ThunderThighs

Staff

Here's pictures from our local newspaper's yearly Peep diorama contest.

Peeps

Click on the PHOTOS tab.

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Ugh, sorry. When he unhooked your laptop from the Ethernet cable (I assume) - it looks like a large phone cable - did he turn your wireless back on? There may be a switch on the side to turn it back on. Or it may be with the Fn key and one of the number keys. It'll be the one that looks like a radio tower.

Fn key?

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Fn key?

The sometimes blue, sometimes in a box symbols on the F keys and occasionally others. You press the fn key which is usually between the ctrl and windows key on the left side of the keyboard, and the F key with the symbol you want at the same time.

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:The sometimes blue, sometimes in a box symbols on the F keys and occasionally others. You press the fn key which is usually between the ctrl and windows key on the left side of the keyboard, and the F key with the symbol you want at the same time.

okay, found the fn key. The "radio tower" key is already lit. Could this be a router problem? Seems like the same thing happens with my Kindle. I turn the router off and then it connects. But that didn't work with the laptop.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:okay, found the fn key. The "radio tower" key is already lit. Could this be a router problem? Seems like the same thing happens with my Kindle. I turn the router off and then it connects. But that didn't work with the laptop.

If the "radio tower" is on then it might be the router. Did the tech unplug anything from your router when he was working on the PC?

Do you have an icon with bars down by the time in the bottom right corner of your screen? When you click on it do you see a bunch of names?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:okay, found the fn key. The "radio tower" key is already lit. Could this be a router problem? Seems like the same thing happens with my Kindle. I turn the router off and then it connects. But that didn't work with the laptop.

Can your Kindle connect right now?

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:If the "radio tower" is on then it might be the router. Did the tech unplug anything from your router when he was working on the PC?

Do you have an icon with bars down by the time in the bottom right corner of your screen? When you click on it do you see a bunch of names?

Wants me to type the network security key. No clue.

n/m, I remembered the key. Didn't do any good.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Wants me to type the network security key. No clue.

That's a code you type in to access your router. You would have done this the first time you connected the Kindle with your router. Not sure why it's asking for it again though. Maybe because it's reconnected to your computer.

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:That's a code you type in to access your router. You would have done this the first time you connected the Kindle with your router. Not sure why it's asking for it again though. Maybe because it's reconnected to your computer.

See above edit.

pooflady

Wait...I have it. Somehow.

I turned the router off and back on in between. Maybe?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Wait...I have it. Somehow.

I turned the router off and back on in between. Maybe?

Ok, so we know it's not your router.

Right-click on the network icon in the lower right corner. Mine kinda looks like a TV. When I hover over it, it says "Network XX". Choose Troubleshoot problems.

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, so we know it's not your router.

Right-click on the network icon in the lower right corner. Mine kinda looks like a TV. When I hover over it, it says "Network XX". Choose Troubleshoot problems.

You want me to do this even though I now have Internet on the laptop?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:You want me to do this even though I now have Internet on the laptop?

Oh, didn't know you got it on the laptop. I thought it was the Kindle. YAY for you!

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Oh, didn't know you got it on the laptop. I thought it was the Kindle. YAY for you!

Yeah, been playing with the laptop since it doesn't have the mouse or keyboard attached to it. No mouse is going to be hard to get used to.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Yeah, been playing with the laptop since it doesn't have the mouse or keyboard attached to it. No mouse is going to be hard to get used to.

Buy one for it. I have one for mine. I can't stand using the touchpad for long.

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Buy one for it. I have one for mine. I can't stand using the touchpad for long.

I am so glad you said that. Just trying to scroll was frustrating the hell out of me.

pooflady

What's an I/O device?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:What's an I/O device?

Input/Output device. Something that sends info to the computer (keyboard, mouse) or takes info from the computer (monitor, printer)

pooflady wrote:I am so glad you said that. Just trying to scroll was frustrating the hell out of me.

Ties my stomach up in knots. Only decision is wireless ore wired. Son prefers wireless. I prefer wired because it keeps falling off my laptop cooling tray down into the couch cushions.

I have this laptop tray that lets me use a mouse easily while sitting on the couch.

Note that it's not a cooling tray but since it won't be your fulltime computer, you'll probably be fine without a cooling tray. I put my cooling tray on top of this one. Heh.

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Ties my stomach up in knots. Only decision is wireless ore wired. Son prefers wireless. I prefer wired because it keeps falling off my laptop cooling tray down into the couch cushions.

I have this laptop tray that lets me use a mouse easily while sitting on the couch.

Note that it's not a cooling tray but since it won't be your fulltime computer, you'll probably be fine without a cooling tray. I put my cooling tray on top of this one. Heh.

I "think" I can take a thumb drive out of the back of the PC (for my wireless mouse) and plug it in the side of the laptop.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:I "think" I can take a thumb drive out of the back of the PC (for my wireless mouse) and plug it in the side of the laptop.

Yeah, that'll work fine. Windows will recognize it. Long term, you may want to think about a 2nd mouse so you're no always having to move it around. Walmart & Target carry them for a good price. They'll have smaller ones for notebooks that are easy to stick in the laptop case for travel.

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

KtCallista

Yay! Poof is back online with the laptop!

I'm not sure how much longer I can stay awake. Uggh!

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
KtCallista wrote:Thank you.

Ver1 is having a hard day at school, I think all the social pressure is just a bit overwhelming. We are trying to get back on Pacific time as well. Normally we don't time shift when we visit, but we had to be up for so much and the days were so draining we went to bed early. I guess I look like I'm barely awake, even though I woke up hours before I went to work (and I normally roll out of bed and go).

At least going west is generally easier than going east... just keep staying up later and sleeping in until you're on normal time!

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining

Happy Birthday DName!

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining

Happy Birthday GMan!

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

Happy Birthday to D'name and Gman !
Good morning all.

In the end only kindness matters

ThunderThighs

Staff

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DNAME!

This dog hates birthdays about as much as I do:

And from Rusty:

(I have Az's birthday as next week....)

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Thanks R'ing and I'back, but my b'day is still a number of days away.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Morning.

Happy birthday, d'name.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Enjoy your day, d'name.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! Happy birthday Dname. Mavyn glad you are recovering.