Quality Posts

uski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uski

Price comparator post - Manually-optimized searches for relevant results

New Worx 18v Cordless Saw, for $49.99 + $5 shipping
Product: 1x Worx 18 Volt Cordless Saw

Darkflight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Darkflight

I would have said that was an awesome deal then i realized each item was $49.99 and had to be bought separately, not one package for the price... sigh... PASS.

Darkflight - Looking for deals wherever they appear.

bigwhitebear18

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bigwhitebear18

So as not to confuse anyone, these are each sold separately for $50 each. You don't get all 3 unless you pay for all 3.

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004

Worx saws get good reviews on Amazon, apparently.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Worx+Cordless+Saw&x=0&y=0

I do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it's useful. Google "useful linkage" and there it is.

djp952

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djp952

BEST WOOT EVAR ... wait, no, $50 *each*. Didn't we have a 4-pack with these and a flashlight for a relatively good price not that long ago?

The tools are pretty good, but you can go get yourself corded and significantly more powerful versions just about anywhere for less coin. Pass on this one.

Kingu

quality posts: 41 Private Messages Kingu

Another thing to pay attention to, the jig-saw comes with only one battery pack, the rest come with two. So if you're looking at the jig-saw, you might want to pick up one of the other two anyway, as it'd be more time saving to have two chargers and three batteries, vs 1 charger and one battery, which takes an hour to charge.

mwarrenus

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mwarrenus

Seems the batteries themselves sell for about $30 each; definitely want the two battery deals!

uncle pennybags

quality posts: 13 Private Messages uncle pennybags

I haven't looked to see what batteries would cost at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, or Ace, but I imagine it would be in the $30-50 range, each. So the saws with 2 batteries look more and more like a good deal. But only if you need one!

raptor49

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raptor49

In the description you missed the one show on PBS, The Sawshank Redemption.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Oh, you get to choose. I thought they just sent you some random saw. This way is much better.

akielb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akielb

Back in November they had a five pc kit for $169.99 +5 This might be a good deal if you only need one.

http://sellout.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2782912

rslong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rslong

Not for NiCads, not me.

Akatz227

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Akatz227

I did find a 4 piece combo set that is similar but not the same - $99 though

http://www.shopbiglots.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3340804

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 43 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

I wonder how well the circular saw works and how long it'll cut for on one battery? The reciprocating saw looks pretty good, as it has an orbital cutting action, which really cuts down on the time it takes to cut through stuff and makes it way more effective.

I'm almost wanting to bite on the circular saw. Uhh....Uhh.... oh, maybe not. I'm not really using these in my profession and a cordless will never stand up to a corded saw, in terms of power and runtime.

rjhalsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjhalsey

I bought all 3. You get 3 tools, 5 batteries and 3 chargers. Looks like a good deal to me!

kingofthenet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kingofthenet

I like the idea of a cordless Jig Saw but only one battery...Pass

Mbenji

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mbenji

Great! Now I can totally open all of those shells I buy from Woot!

Huh? What is this "overkill" you speak of?

Take my money

gesso15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gesso15
kingofthenet wrote:I like the idea of a cordless Jig Saw but only one battery...Pass

i had the same thought exactly, sad face

sunny57

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunny57

Bought the 4 piece set in December, just added the jig saw. I now have 5 tools, three batteries, and 2 chargers for less than $160. They're not commercial grade tools but then they didn't cost $550 either.

ElectricLegs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElectricLegs

Packs of nicads are in self destruct mode from day one. You won't get much life unless you use them every day and even then nicads are the the worst rechargeable cell available for tool usage.

dantose

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dantose

I got the whole multi pack a while back and they aren't bad tools for the price. I've used everything from the kit but the light. I've put in a wide pine floor with the rotary and jig, and cut out some counters + cabinets with the reciprocal. The reciprocal feels underpowered but the jig and rotary work quite well.

Woot has suckered me 37 times since August 2006

sstass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sstass

"Machine weight: 6.2lbs (12.8Kgs)"
Phail @ Math

Nevinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nevinger

Please Note: The jig saw only comes with one battery. The other two saws have two batteries each. I would have bought the jig saw if it came with two batteries. The circular saw in most of these cordless sets is really just good enough for a trim saw. Don't expect to cut 1/2" plywood sheets.

commodog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages commodog
Nevinger wrote:Please Note: The jig saw only comes with one battery.

How much jig sawing are you people doing that you need 2 fully charged 18v batteries?
???

I've had an electric jig saw for years and can't remember ever using it for more than 5-10 minutes at any given time

jragg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jragg

No one seems to have mentioned that the circular saw doesn't have a battery charger listed. That has to be a typo...

joshuapetruna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshuapetruna

oh my! I am so HAPPY about the Magnum P.I. reference it makes me wants to buy every item on sellout.woot for the rest of my life while wearing super short khakis shorts a polo shirt a Detroit Tigers baseball cap with loafers and fly around in a helicopter!!!

We can Woot if you want to, we can leave your friends behind, because your friends don't Woot and if they don't Woot, well there, no friends of mine.

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth
mwarrenus wrote:Seems the batteries themselves sell for about $30 each; definitely want the two battery deals!

And with archaic Ni-Cd battery technology you will need them. Pass.

Havoc737903

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Havoc737903

I got the 4 piece set that was on here a while before Christmas. The tools are great. Not $50 a piece great, especially considering I got the whole set for $100. But still great. If this 3 set was $50 I'd be making a grab right about now.

The dawn is my enemy.

carpewoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carpewoot
pauldownsouth wrote:And with archaic Ni-Cd battery technology you will need them. Pass.

NiCd's work great for power tools. I have a set of Ryobi's that have been used more than you average do-yourselfer for close to 7 years.

From Dan's data:
http://dansdata.blogsome.com/2009/02/08/i-run-my-thinkpad-from-a-leclanche-cell/

"You hear this all the time - it’s not right out of left field like the bit about NiCds still being in common use - but it’s not actually true. NiCds are actually known for their very long shelf life. If they’ve been on the shelf for a year then most of the charge will have leaked away, but even if they’ve been on the shelf for ten years you’ll probably just be able to give ‘em a charge and put ‘em to work."

pojster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pojster

For the circular saw, it says:

Cutting capacity (wood): 90° 1 5/8”; 45° 1 3/16”

So, I would just be able to cut a 2 x 4 with this? (2 x 4 are not really 2" deep for those who want to bring that up).

Bill from tn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bill from tn
pojster wrote:For the circular saw, it says:

Cutting capacity (wood): 90° 1 5/8”; 45° 1 3/16”

So, I would just be able to cut a 2 x 4 with this? (2 x 4 are not really 2" deep for those who want to bring that up).

I am guessing that "capacity" is the depth of the blade below the sole plate, or better said, the total depth of cut.
This may or may not be what you could achieve in a real world situation.

intelisevil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intelisevil
DaZoneRanger wrote:a cordless will never stand up to a corded saw, in terms of runtime.

Cordless vs. corded runtime . . . DUH!

Corded tools are great within the limited length of your properly rated extension cord. Cordless tools work well beyond that range!

I own both corded and cordless tools (although none of this brand), they each work well for their designed applications. I generally grab the cordless ones first due to convenience.

Cordless tools can be safer, I've never heard of anyone cutting through the power cord on their cordless tool. I won't let the wife use my corded tools . . .

Jaeschliman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jaeschliman

This may help?

7-1/4" Circular Saw w/ Aluminum Base, 13amp
http://worx.fox-international.com/products.asp?groupid=27

Variable Speed Jig Saw
http://worx.fox-international.com/products.asp?groupid=26

Variable Speed Reciprocating Saw
http://worx.fox-international.com/products.asp?groupid=25

vaximily

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vaximily

I'm having a hard time making the jump for the jigsaw and circular... I don't have any major projects for these at the moment but am a big do-it-yourself(er)...

The kit at big lots (http://www.shopbiglots.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3340804) looks worthwhile because I'd probably use the drill more than anything, but two batteries for three tools just doesn't hit my sweet spot.

Any suggestions on my dilema?

mike5780267

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mike5780267

Give me wire or give me death!
I only use corded tools. I won't buy multiple sets to have cordless. Extension cords are cheap and corded tools never run out of juice or slow down at all.

Call me biased(I am), but I'm quite happy lugging around my electrical cables behind me while I work for the increased power.

sdutango

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sdutango
Akatz227 wrote:I did find a 4 piece combo set that is similar but not the same - $99 though

http://www.shopbiglots.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3340804

that's a 3 pieces combo

maximous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maximous
Jaeschliman wrote:This may help?

Circular Saw
http://worx.fox-international.com/products.asp?groupid=14

Variable Speed Jig Saw
http://worx.fox-international.com/products.asp?groupid=15

Variable Speed Reciprocating Saw
http://worx.fox-international.com/products.asp?groupid=9

fixed links, they were linked to corded

funerall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funerall
sunny57 wrote:Bought the 4 piece set in December, just added the jig saw. I now have 5 tools, three batteries, and 2 chargers for less than $160. They're not commercial grade tools but then they didn't cost $550 either.

Same here, these don't outperform my dewalt kit, but definitely worth the money, although, if I didn't have the 4 piece set, I would not have bought the jig saw.

tom760

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tom760

mr see owned a saw
and mr soar owned a seesaw
now, see's saw sawed soar's seesaw
before soar saw see
which made soar sore
had soar seen see's saw
before see sawed soar's seesaw
see's saw would not have sawed
soar's seesaw
so see's saw sawed soar's seesaw